SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new chicken coop, or...you construction guys have all my respect
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new chicken coop, or...you construction guys have all my respect Login/Join 
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Do you know why chicken coops don't have 4 doors?
Because then it'd be a sedan. Razz

Nice work!!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6732 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Those will be the most expensive eggs you ever eat! But, the Rhode Island Reds are prolific layers. You'll be up to your ears in eggs in no time.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pretty nice, do they get cable too? Razz

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Love that tall roof and door.

Here is ours:

(Rainier and bing cherries respectively.)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Nice work fellas. I'd like to have chickens one day.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
wow. those chickens are living pretty well. nice build

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Gustofer, do you have hardware cloth on the dirt floor inside the coop ? I did not before but thinking I should this time around.

No, I don't. It might not be a bad idea if you've got digging predators around...or at least a 2 or so foot apron around the outside.

I'm not overly concerned as, while we do have coyotes running through on occasion, there's not a chance they could dig through my rocky ground to get in there.

I just put a few inches of construction grade sand inside.

quote:
Those will be the most expensive eggs you ever eat!

No, no, no...they're free eggs dontchaknow. Big Grin Just like hunting is free meat (after the new truck, 4-wheeler, camper, rifle, etc...)

quote:
Pretty nice, do they get cable too?

I did consider putting an outlet out there for a heat lamp and/or grow lights in the winter and a water spigot, but I've got a hydrant close by and can run an extension cord if need be.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
You can do fun things with solar.

One of the things we do is, morning light opens the coop door and shuts it at night. Little motor on a sensor.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Dude, nice! Wife has talked about chickens for a few years now and I’m seriously considering building a coop.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I had an existing 8x8 shed/playhouse on the property that I partitioned for a coop/storage setup. Added a 8x20 run on to the backside of it.
Only have 3 birds at the moment, but adding 2 more this summer. Plenty of eggs for our needs.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3354 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Dude, nice! Wife has talked about chickens for a few years now and I’m seriously considering building a coop.

They're a lot of fun, I'd highly recommend it.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’ve been told that chickens can recognize over 100 different faces.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been told that chickens can recognize over 100 different faces

They definitely recognize me now.

These girls are cracking me up.

It's been 40+ years since I've had RRR laying hens so I'd forgotten their demeanor. I'm used to Cornish Cross meat birds that are just plain dumb and at the bottom of the food chain for a reason. They exist to eat, drink, shit, and be eaten. That's pretty much it.

These hens are completely different. Initially skittish, they quickly became playful and took to me and the dog, eating out of my hand and jumping up on the dogs back which he doesn't much care for...he's not quite sure what to make of these things. Big Grin

This'll be fun. And hey, I'll have eggs for sale. $1200/dozen. The price will go down eventually. Big Grin

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Just ‘ett some homefresh eggs, on cheesy grits with habanero hot sauce … yummy n’ warm Smile

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Los Guardiaños …

~Robert A. Heinlein

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Or just eyeing the menu. Big Grin

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Or just eyeing the menu. Big Grin

Wink

~Robert A. Heinlein

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’ve talked about it, but we’ve got an “egg lady” that we’ve bought from for years now, and at $2.50/doz. it’s hard to imagine we’d be happier with our own chickens. It also seems like getting away is difficult enough with just a dog.

Couple of nice looking coops though

Posts: 13269 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Just a quick fyi:

Both the water and the food are on dispensers which respond to hen prompts.

Both the feeder (stainless steel object in the photo) and the water (White plastic) will last easily well over 10+ days.

Lastly the run area is constructed so there is at least 6 to 8 ft.² of greenery that can sprout/grow up an inch with an overlay of chicken wire so they can’t pull out the roots. Constant greens.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I miss raising chickens for the eggs. We didn't have a dedicated coop for them, just a corner of the barn that they took over and were content with that.

This was around 2 days worth of eggs and boy I miss them.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post