SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here upgrade a wired home alarm system on their own?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here upgrade a wired home alarm system on their own? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I like the idea of a hardwired home alarm system. What I do not like is something that requires a wired phone service or paid monitoring.

My house has a wired system by FBII that requires monitoring through one of the big companies.

I would prefer having the wired system, just reconfigured to use either the internet or pre-paid cellular. If it just contacted me plus another phone via text, that would be fine too.

I have Ring but really do not want battery powered devices.

Anyone upgrade their own system? Ideally I would hope something could use the existing wires and maybe even sensors. I'm not interested in pulling more wires.

Thanks.

Posts: 17898 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Nashville we have NCA Alarms that did that for me. They used the existing wired system & just linked it to a cellular. As an added benefit they did not have extended contracts if you pay up front for the installation. Only 30 day cancellation notice. They also addeda wireless Contact to my detached garage & a back door wireless keypad.

Add the garage door contact to the work order please. The door is weather protected so rain is not a problem.
Total due at time of installation is:
1) System - $ 179
2) 2nd keypad - $125
3) Garage Contact - $55
4) Tax on Equipment - $16.59
5) 3 months monitoring - $ 59.85
Total = $ 435.44

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4277 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of one like you describe that relies on wifi, don't think I'd want that from a security standpoint let alone fire alarm/protection.

The cost of a cheap monitored system with cell transmitter is probably going to be about the same as you getting your own cell connection isn't it? If that were even an option.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12430 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I have no feedback concerning a wired system that is not connected to a service. I'm not familiar with how to set an unmonitored system up to contact you via text or call.

Alternative:

Collect the information you have on your current system. Make and model number of the box where all the wires go to and the keypad panel.

Reach out to Alarm Relay and see what they have that might work for you. Plans are about $240 per year with a cellular connection, and they have less expensive options using the Internet or landline.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post