SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hiker with no cell service saved by new iPhone 'SOS' feature
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiker with no cell service saved by new iPhone 'SOS' feature Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Huh! I have an iPhone 11. I'm currently visiting my sister and BIL and sleeping in their finished basement. There is an off and on signal down here, but when it goes from 1 bar to none, I saw a little SOS where it was. I was wondering what the heck that was.

An iPhone 11 doesn’t have the feature described in the OP, so I don’t know what the “SOS” icon that you see means. Perhaps it simply means “No signal”.

I also have an iPhone 11 and will see the SOS when I'm on an airplane.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Here's how SOS works on Iphones. I have mine to set up to call with 5 button presses which causes an automatic countdown and subsequent 911 call.

https://support.apple.com/en-u...0an%20alert%20sounds.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn’t know about this feature. And I don’t understand the technology. What the heck is “satellite activation”?

Globalstar is a set of low earth orbit Satellites, and what the SPOT devices use. Apple just put what the SPOT does in the iPhones -- but slightly different. But nonetheless, Apple uses Globalstar too.

you may recall that SPOT is a handheld emergency comm device that has been popular for while now with hikers etc. we've had threads in the past about SPOT's, after some hikers were misusing it it get water brought to them etc.

The biggest surprise to me is that it seems to be free. As I recall the SPOT's had a subscription fee. I guess Apple is paying Globalstar? not sure how the money part works. Globalstar normally ain't free.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My revised opinion of what the SOS icon on iPhones prior to iPhone 14 means:

YOUR carrier has no useable signal at your current location, but SOME carrier does, and you may use it to call 911.

Furthermore, you can have a cellphone with NO carrier plan, and use it for a 911 call if the SOS icon is present.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Furthermore, you can have a cellphone with NO carrier plan, and use it for a 911 call if the SOS icon is present.
By law, a cell phone must be able to connect with 911 services if the phone detects a signal. Whether or not the phone is activated with a particular carrier has no effect on the matter.

https://www.911.gov/calling-91...tly-asked-questions/
quote:
All wireless phones, even those that are not subscribed to or supported by a specific carrier, can call 911. However, calls to 911 on phones without active service do not deliver the caller’s location to the 911 call center, and the call center cannot call these phones back to find out the caller’s location or the nature of the emergency. If disconnected, the 911 center has no way to call back the caller.

These uninitialized phones are often used to place malicious or fake calls to 911 call centers. These calls are a burden on the 911 system because 911 call centers are required to find out whether or not an emergency truly exists.

Oftentimes, parents provide these uninitialized wireless phones as toys to young children, unaware that if the child dials 911, a live call will be connected with the local 911 call center. It is recommended that parents remove the phone’s battery before giving these phones to children.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

The biggest surprise to me is that it seems to be free.
Free for the first two years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

By law, a cell phone must be able to connect with 911 services if the phone detects a signal. Whether or not the phone is activated with a particular carrier has no effect on the matter.
True. Calls can be made to 911 even if the phone doesn't have a SIM.

Now, that gets me wondering. There are codes in countries other than the U.S.A for emergencies -- not 911, but other codes such as 999, 112, etc. depending on the country.. Are phones sold in these countries enabled for the country's codes?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
That rescue may cost her a bit. I wonder if her insurance covers it?

I'm pretty sure that air lift rescue is free in the US for bonafide emergencies, such as broken leg bones, since by definition you're 100% immobile, so self extraction is practically impossible for real distances, esp on trails less traveled.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
As a previous poster noted, I believe the I4 is still not quite as capable of more expensive dedicated PLBs, which can talk to more satellite networks. But hell yea, if you're in the backcountry get an I4 as a backup to your dedicated PLB. Seems like a healthy choice in redundancy.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
150.00 plus annual subscription fee

Works with iOS 14 and Android 10 or later.

https://motorolarugged.com/en-...defy-satellite-link/

posted Hide Post
My phone is an 8 and it’s got an SOS display. I’ve never touched it so not sure if would work or not.

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Have you read the thread?

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Apple Emergency SOS feature credited with saving family's life in Maui

“Apple's Emergency SOS system has been credited with saving a family from the deadly wildfires sweeping across Maui.

Michael Miraflor claims that his relatives were caught in their vehicle while trying to flee the Hawaiian island when the blaze started to engulf them.

Five of his loved ones were in a white van but were unable to call for help after cell phone towers went down – leaving thousands without a way to contact emergency services or relatives.

Residents even lost access to 911 communications, with Hawaii Lieutenant Gov Sylvia Like confirming phone service was down, and hospitals were overrun.

But despite having no cell service, the family was able to get in contact with the emergency services using Apple's satellite system. …”

DailyMail article
https://mol.im/a/12394415

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm up in the mountains of N.C and can get one bar from AT&T on the rare occasion but mostly my phone says SOS only.. the interesting thing is I can send and receive text... sometimes it takes two tries to send one but it still works with the SOS only display.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post