SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police break door for a welfare check: who pays to fix it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police break door for a welfare check: who pays to fix it? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
This issue came up in discussion and no one seems to know the right answer.

As for homeowners insurance everyone had $1k or $2k deductibles. So it looked that either the agency paid or the homeowners had to eat the costs. But policies and procedures remain unknown / unclear.

Anyone know the "right" answers?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
When I or one of my guys break a door down, no matter the reason, we provide the owner/resident with the number for our city’s Risk Management office.

My understanding is that we are legal in our actions the city declines to pay for the damages.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
My understanding is that we are legal in our actions the city declines to pay for the damages.

That was the policy of the department I retired from also...large sheriff's department

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What Chongo said, if we kicked a door and a search warrant was issued, wether or not anyone got arrested the warrant covered us and the city would not pay. If we kicked a door or the firemen prayed one open for a welfare check or the like, the city fixed the door. Which is why we always took care to check for hidden keys or open windows.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Mike you're saying the City fixes the door for a welfare check where Congosuerte says no. Still confused here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike you're saying the City fixes the door for a welfare check where Congosuerte says no. Still confused here.

I will clear it up. Depends on the jurisdiction. Probably also depends on who you are. South Dakota who knows?

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
your going to get different answers from different municipalities. We’ve forced many doors in my career (FD), some for welfare checks, some fires, some fire alarms with no fire, etc. We don’t pay for the damage as we are within our legal authority to do so for aforementioned cases. This has come up in my department as recently as this past sunday when I forced a door for a commercial fire alarm, which turned out to be a malfunction....we encourage commercial structures to install a knox box which would contain keys for the building...they usually get one after we force a door for the first time for that particular business. Big Grin

edit...went off on a tangent with commercial buildings....private residence welfare check same deal though....as long as the information I have at the time is adding up to the probability someone is inside, and needs to be checked for their own safety (such as elderly, known illnesses) and no one answers the door...we don’t leave until we get in...and we get in whatever way we see fit...we try and minimize the damage but sometimes it’s unaviodable.

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I’m sorry, in the city of Wilson, we (the city) paid for or fixed doors where we(the cops) kicked a door in for a welfare check after an extensive search for keys or trying everything else’s to gain entry.

Yes, the city bought the damage we did, if there was not a search warrant or extigant circumstances.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the responses.

As a result have contacted a local fireman / EMT with this question. He wasn't sure of the County's policy and is checking official channels for the straight skinny.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
...we encourage commercial structures to install a knox box which would contain keys for the building...

I have a Knox Box on my home.

Very secure. There are many easier ways to break into my house than screwing around with that little beast. It is built like a tank.

When you order one it comes open. You don't get a key. You mount it and attach alarm sensors if applicable. Then call the fire department to come out and lock your keys inside. Easy, peasy.

I'm surprised more people don't have them. Particularly for older residents.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd guess most jurisdictions will not pay for damages caused by legitimate police activity.

But there is no universally applicable law that I know of, and some may pay.

But remember that the general principal of sovereign immunity applies, and unless the government authorizes suits against it, you generally can't sue the governemnt. (There are blanket authorization statutes for some classes of claims - often often for motor vehicle accidents and contract disputes. But police activity isn't usually included, except for the aforementioned motor vehicle accidents.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm seeing more and more of those around here. At the same time you can use any key box with a combination or even one of those newer powered deadbolts with keypad. You can then register your combination with emergency dispatchers and they can provide it to first responders if they need access.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Strong thread veer ahead:

I can see the city/police/fire not paying to repair a door that they damage in the course of legitimate business operations.

My question is, if a search warrant is issued, and they find nothing, but they damage my home, how is that right? Not talking about legaleze here, just right and wrong. In other words, you get a search warrant but it's typed for my address, 120 NoCrack Lane, instead of the crack dealer's at 120 NeedCrack Lane. You bust my door in, and it's the address on the warrant, but it's wrong. Also, if someone SWATs me and you bust in my door and I'm innocent, I still get to pay to fix my door? Trying to understand the nuance of it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Strong thread veer ahead:

I can see the city/police/fire not paying to repair a door that they damage in the course of legitimate business operations.

My question is, if a search warrant is issued, and they find nothing, but they damage my home, how is that right? Not talking about legaleze here, just right and wrong. In other words, you get a search warrant but it's typed for my address, 120 NoCrack Lane, instead of the crack dealer's at 120 NeedCrack Lane. You bust my door in, and it's the address on the warrant, but it's wrong. Also, if someone SWATs me and you bust in my door and I'm innocent, I still get to pay to fix my door? Trying to understand the nuance of it.

With an error of that kind, they should pay, but they may not. See my post above.

If the warrant was for your house, and they couldn't find any dope, but the warrant was obtained in good faith - you are shit out of luck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. They will just send a CrackHead to repair your door.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i wonder if the city attorney would know?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:

I never heard of it before. I must not be the only one.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Now that there are plenty of serious responses...

Big Grin Anyone else concerned that Bald1 is about to go all Breaking Bad? Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
i wonder if the city attorney would know?

I will take that for 100 dollars. The answer is we will try to get out of it if possible.

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

We all pitched in as a family and bought one for my grandmother, and it was $325. For my house? I'll roll the dice.
I actually did talk to my local chief when looking into it for my grandmother, and he said the preferred method for his department was to try the spreader but if that failed or looked like it would damage the frame, the'd break a window if possible. Window replacement being much cheaper than a new door/frame.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post