SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Duplex Receptacles Are Too Large to Fit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Duplex Receptacles Are Too Large to Fit Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
In real life, the biggest thing I have seen that those adapters are good for is stopping "some" people from just breaking the ground off their cords when they encounter a two wire outlet. Eek

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
There is an easy way out if you want to put regular 3 prong receptacles in to replace two pronged ones.

Find the first receptacle box where the circuit begins and use a Wiremold extension box that sticks out and add it to the shallow box. This will not be flush to the wall. That box will give you enough room to install a GFCI receptacle in it and then you can feed the rest of the circuit from that GFCI. You will need to put a sticker on each of the down stream receptacles which says, "No Ground Present."

Or you could install a GFCI breaker in the panel for that circuit and use the stickers mentioned above.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'd provide some feed back, but I don't have enough information. I replaced many, many, many thousands of outlets. Never once have I had the issue you are describing. The only thing I can guess is you are replacing a non grounded outlet with a grounded type and the ground screw is hitting the box.

House built in the 50's will have likely AC cable which the sheathing acts as your ground. If that is the case and you try to replace the box you must use a metal box. Also you must pigtail the outlet to the box or use self grounding outlets. It is also possible you have ragwire ran in your house which 95% of the time does not have a ground. Have you tested the outlet to see if a ground is present?

As someone else mentioned you need to use two prong with no ground or install GFI device/breaker and add the no equipment ground sticker if not grounded.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I guess I am a gun nut. My first take on "duplex receptacles" was those things inside Leupold rifle scopes. I didn't know you could replace them.

Shift brain in gear....

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6316 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post