SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dash Cams?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash Cams? Login/Join 
posted
These are starting to make sense for me.
What do I need to know/look for in shopping for one?
Any down sides?

Posts: 1690 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I and my brother have this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14479...676?var=444013318691

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google dash cams. There are many reviews including top ten and features of each. Options explained.

Awake not woke

Posts: 592 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
This guy does a thorough review of all things radar…

https://youtu.be/nrvTxCEBbek?si=SBRHnHGbsfDCNLHC

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6468 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Viofo A119V3 and am installing it this week. I bought the 256 Gb micro SIM card and told it to format but it never tells me that it actually completed it. But I’m hoping to get it in the truck this weekend. It seems pretty good.

Posts: 53785 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recent discussion by The Armed Attorneys on potential downsides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH55kCrYZyQ

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I have been using them for several years now, look at the reviews to see what fits your needs. Blackboxmycar has been a decent place for me to buy from.

FYI I have a Garmin mini 2 and it is junk, I hate that thing. I bought it to use when I was moving my daughter - just to have one that was portable. It constantly falls off the windshield, the mount is junk and the Bluetooth connection constantly gives me problems (I had to sent the first one back since I could not connect to it). Thinkware cameras have been very good for me.

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If the need for tech support arises, two brands that have excellent U.S.A. based, English speaking, very responsive, support are Garmin and Rove.

I previously had Garmin, finally died after more than 10 years of good service, replaced it with Rove. I'm well satisfied with both, would buy either one again if needed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Dash cams are one of the few topics I recommend ignoring Sigforum as we all buy one or two dash cams and then leave them in our cars for years. At best, our comments will be anecdotal. At worst, well intentioned person won't realize that a good camera can get clear images of license plates and drivers faces but their "great" dash cam cannot. Also, dash cam technology has been making great improvements every year so someone saying good things about last year's or two year's agos camera is apples and oranges.

On the other hand, I urge you to pick a recommended dash cam from dashcamtalk.com's best of List because those maniacs will have 3 or more installed at once and you can see the difference in identical circumstances. They eat, sleep, and breath this stuff.

In my lifetime, I have bought two dashcams and both were recommend by dashcamtalk.com. The first was a single camera when I lived in Canada and it worked great. Two years later, I moved to Texas and bought a front/rear camera and it's been awesome as well. With 2 years of progress, my dual camera set-up cost 33% less than my original single camera set-up, had better resolution, and had built-in GPS instead of external antenna. The front camera was same form factor as my original single camera, and they had managed all of the upgrades in the same wedge form factor.

When I buy my next vehicle, I'll likely buy a front/rear camera recommended by them.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned to have a cam that was so obvious especially visible from the outside tempting someone to break in.

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on previous discussions here and additional research I recently purchased a Rove R2-4K.

I also purchased their hardwire kit which was pretty easy to install.

I am happy with the camera and it serves its purpose well.

Their customer support (via text messaging) is excellent and very responsive as others have previous stated, and was a strong consideration in my decision making.

Keep an eye out on Amazon for ‘spot’ sales and cost-savings on a bundle (cam, hwk, memory card and polarized filter).

My #2 choice was a Garmin product (67w, I think).

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

Based on previous discussions here and additional research I recently purchased a Rove R2-4K.
That's the one that I have. I augmented it with an adapter that takes power from the rear-view mirror, so with the camera mounted very close to the mirror, there's minimal wire showing, maybe a couple inches.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
tatortodd makes some good points. That being said and my experience being 1 example is Garmin Mini2. $110 on Amazon, delivered in 1 day and installed in 5 minutes. If your review mirror has power to it for auto dimming order a dongle that fits and install is very easy.

I do know about running dash cameras commercially. I managed a fleet of 15 buses for a dozen years and the cameras were really helpful. At least 2 times we had accidents were a police officer wrote a ticket at the scene with our driver at fault. We had 30 second video clips and did NOT pay out on insurance.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
This guy does a thorough review of all things radar…

https://youtu.be/nrvTxCEBbek?si=SBRHnHGbsfDCNLHC

If you want a one stop reply, This is the guy. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you don’t want cloud storage or continuing charges, Viofo A229 Pro.

If you do want cloud backup and are ok with that cost, Blackvue.

Whichever, get the Starvis 2 4K sensor if you want to read plates.

BlackboxMyCar is a reputable all in one online vendor if you can install. Otherwise find a local shop.

Posts: 558 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Recent discussion by The Armed Attorneys on potential downsides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH55kCrYZyQ

Funny that the only dashcam case they actually cite in the video ended up being a tow truck dashcam that exonerated the tow truck driver, not the false claim made against him.

The rest of the video is mostly:
1-the first caller to 911 is the victim
2-cams (of ANY kind) don’t capture everything
3-criminal behavior is still criminal even if the camera is the criminal’s

So I’m not following them as my dashcam experts.

Posts: 558 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I got a garmin mini 2 based on members here. It was super easy to set up. Mrs Mike won one at some work convention and I put it in her car. But I had to order the cord to run it all the time. Amazon had it to us in a day

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I augmented it with an adapter that takes power from the rear-view mirror, so with the camera mounted very close to the mirror, there's minimal wire showing, maybe a couple inches.

This. I have one that draws from the map lights. Just make sure you pick the accessory power bus as opposed to the always-on power bus or you'll kill your battery. I popped out the trim around the map light to get at the wiring harness, then ran the new wiring under the headliner and out the front by the windshield. Easy job in my Subaru, YMMV.

I unfortunately picked a 12 V to USB power supply with a micro USB end to fit my camera (yes, I'm guilty of having the same camera for 10+ years). Now if I want to upgrade I'll have to get another widget to change the USB connector on the end of my power cable. You're probably safe with USB-C for a while, but if I had to do it over again I'd pick something with a female USB port instead.

Posts: 941 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those considering taping into their rear view mirror for a power supply, check out Dongar Plug & Play Adaptors.

I came across some folks using these for installing their dash cams and being satisfied with the product.

I would have liked to have gone this route but they do not have a product configured for my vehicle.

Rob

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using the Rove R2-4K with a Dongar adapter on my wife's Explorer - 10 minute install with no wires showing except about 2" to camera

Posts: 176 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure it's got enough storage for your needs, and check reviews for performance and build quality.

in the 'Merica Navy they teach you to go pew pew pew...
Luckily in the PNW they taught me to go BANG BANG BANG

Posts: 99 | Registered: November 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post