SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dash Cams?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash Cams? Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I was able to order a Rove R3 (3 channel) for $202 with tax from Amazon yesterday afternoon. There was a $70 coupon available that you had to check a box to get.

We're going to try it in the wife's Tuscon.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Both my wife and I are happy enough with the two Garmins DC57's we have in our cars.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I have a system on my motorcycle that has both forward and rear cameras. I figure if I get taken out without witnesses then at least there will be something for my heirs to investigate. No system yet in the cars.

A few comments:

1) Consider if you desire parked car video. If your car gets hit while parked, will the system record it and then protect it from being overwritten?

2) Do you want the ability to disable speed capture? Can it be done easily? We all push the limit at times, even unintentionally. If your footage ends up in court it could be used against you even if your transgression was well before the incident (painting you as reckless or unobservant).

3) Whenever possible, avoid the *necessity* of using an app on your phone/tablet. I've had devices become useless due to a phone OS update or buying a new phone.

4) Nonetheless, having the ability to download recordings wirelessly can be very convenient to backup or send it. e.g. a very scenic moment you want to preserve, or perhaps sending evidence to someone in the event of an accident.

5) Easily removable media storage. Can you pop it in/out easily? How the camera will be mounted can affect how easily you can access the media card.

Posts: 9726 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gt2022:

I am using the Rove R2-4K with a Dongar adapter on my wife's Explorer - 10 minute install with no wires showing except about 2" to camera
I use the same setup in my Escape. I would recommend it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My choice is Garmin and always will be Garmin. It's for one simple reason, I have been using Garmin products since 1991 and one unchanging facet of Garmin is their excellent Customer Service. Call them up and you will be speaking to a live human being within 3-5 minutes in most cases and on a rare occasion if the waiting time is longer than that they will call you back of you want to use that provision. Every single time I've had to call they have always had one single goal, that is to resolve my issue to the greatest extent possible.

As complicated as device connections are today having a live human being to help solve issues is IMO essential.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

My choice is Garmin and always will be Garmin. It's for one simple reason, I have been using Garmin products since 1991 and one unchanging facet of Garmin is their excellent Customer Service.
Agreed. That is the reason that I narrowed my choices to either Garmin or Rove. Both companies have excellent, responsive, customer support with English speaking agents based in the U.S.A.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought Rexing because of the excellent day and night images. 160 degree capture as well. I did call customer support, was quickly talking to a real person.

A friend did not have a dash cam, and was significantly injured in a rear end collision. Not having images reduced the settlement about $200,000.

You absolutely need the rear camera option, do not cut corners on that. Buy one that uses a super capacitor rather than a battery.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Finally ordered a camera setup after a close call this week.

The Rove 2-4K dual camera setup should be here tomorrow. I think the rear facing camera is just as important. I’ll look into hardwire later.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8367 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Finally ordered a camera setup after a close call this week.

The Rove 2-4K dual camera setup should be here tomorrow. I think the rear facing camera is just as important. I’ll look into hardwire later.

This is why I am reading this thread.

I purchased two of the Rove 2k-4k models for my daughters for christmas. Neither have started using them.

So a few days ago, we were having BBQ at a place and I was leaving, I had a green light and green left arrow. Both sides were stopped so I pulled into the intersection and nearly was t-boned by a fast moving State Trooper running silent.

I realized had I lived through it I would likely have had a really hard time proving that I had a green light.
The last Jury duty I was on would not have been a case if either one had had a dash cam.

So I grabbed one of the daughters unused Rove and through it on the windshield. I like it so much I ordered a new one that should go with the fitment of the car.

FitCamX

I hope the daughters will see dad using their dash cam and complain, then I will gladly install it into their car for them.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3659 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post