SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    69 year old wins 149th Funny Car race
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

69 year old wins 149th Funny Car race Login/Join 
posted
And he probably drove home doing 5mph under the limit in the left lane on the interstate.....with his left blinker on Wink

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/20...-funny-car-race.html

It was a victory for the ages.

John Force, the most successful NHRA Funny Car drag racer of all time, won the Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals at Colorado’s Bandimere Speedway on Sunday at age 69 to notch his 149th career win and reset his record as the oldest winner of a top flight event in the history of the series.

It was his first win in over a year and the brightest spot in a rough season for Force, who has had several blown engines and was hospitalized after a crash in Arizona in February.

Force defeated his daughter, series point leader Courtney, in the semifinals before beating Ron Capps in the final with a 4.075-second run at 315.42 mph. Capps is a distant second on the all-time list with 54 wins.

"All great racers. I love them all," Force said after the race. "The fire was in me. I'm fighting. I got tired of hearing me snivel to myself. My wife didn't even want to talk to me. She said, 'I know you more than that. I know what you're going through.' I don't know why I won this race. Maybe God is just showing me."

With the win in his stars and stripes-painted Chevrolet Camaro SS, 16-time champion Force now sits in eight place in the 2018 standings after 14 events in the 24-race season.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
He's STILL a Force to be Reckoned With! Wink

Way to go, John!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
This was a situation in which "beating your daughter" was acceptable. May the FORCE be with you, John, Courtney and Brittany.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I watched it.

He was overwhelmed with emotion at the finish line.

And neither Courtney or Capps held back. He won that race, fair and square.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32057 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don Garlits , was the absolute King of drag, for a long long time , in my mind
I never thought anyone could come close to surpassing his achievements.

Until I watched Jon F. about 6 years ago

Do you remember this guy ?
https://motorsports.nbcsports....re-innovation-at-86/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Oh yeah. I saw Garlits in early '60's at York Pennsylvania US30 Dragway at York airport.

Sometimes races would be halted while a small plane landed.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunday ! Sunday ! Sunday !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_YmA0cd3kg
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to meet (and shoot) John several years ago and he was one of the nicest, funniest, considerate people I have ever pointed a camera at...good for him!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don Garlits , was the absolute King of drag, for a long long time...

Pure Hell, Swamp Rat... Those were the days...

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Garlits' best run was signing Shirley Muldowney's ticket.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32057 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I had dinner with John a few years back during the NHRA nationals in Seattle. Very energetic dude to say the least and nothing but positivity coming out of his mouth. He is truly one of a kind.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What the hell? When did he switch from Ford to Chevy? He's dead to me! Mad

Razz

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18094 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
What the hell? When did he switch from Ford to Chevy? He's dead to me! Mad

Razz

Do not blame John. Ford dropped him and chevy was
happy to sign him back as that's who he started racing with.

Yes I' am a John Force fan. The old man still has it.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
When we lived in Yorba Linda CA John Force was a neighbor, and our kids went to school with Courtney, Ashley and Brittany. Nice kids, and John was a paragon of energy. John and I share a common love of Taiwanese food Smile

Posts: 1493 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
He came from very humble beginnings. Seldom hear a negative word out of his mouth. He's a great representative of NHRA. I've been an NHRA fan for years (not a fan of FOX or ESPN though). My wife is hooked on NHRA.

But those two monkeys in the booth irritate the hell out of me so I mute them. Pedregon shows to much bias against John Force and Rieff chatters to much. I'd rather hear the track announcer instead of them.

If people would mind their own damn business this country would be better off. I owe no one an explanation or an apology for my personal opinion.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
300mph in 4 seconds is unbelievable.

Posts: 4011 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
300mph in 4 seconds is unbelievable.

They're actually already about 270 by the eighth mile.

I've had a few occasions to meet John Force at Norwalk's Night Under Fire. He stays at his trailer after the show drinking beer, signing autographs, and talking with his fans till the last one leaves. Often till very late into the night. He's a true ambassador of the sport.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought was "How did J. F. get so old?"

Then I thought "WAIT! He's still younger than me!"

Posts: 1364 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Daddy Don has a museum right off I-75 near Ocala, FL.

Does anyone remember Don "The Snake" Prudhomme and Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen? They had a big rivalry in the 1960s. As a kid I became interested with my Hot Wheels "Mongoose & Snake Drag Set". That was a prized piece of my Hot Wheels collection.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:

But those two monkeys in the booth irritate the hell out of me so I mute them. Pedregon shows to much bias against John Force and Rieff chatters to much. I'd rather hear the track announcer instead of them.

I could not agree MORE!!! Both make me want to puke.....bring back Mike Dunn!! I have been an NHRA fan-boy since I say my first National event in Okla City in 1957.

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post