SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago car jacking. Good to let them just take it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago car jacking. Good to let them just take it? Login/Join 
posted
http://abc7chicago.com/pregnan...in-bucktown/3795028/

I'm guessing letting them take it was better than getting into a gunfight?

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1250 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider it is Bucktown, upscale yuppies. They never would have had a chance. The three bad guys were driving a Prius which is probably a first. You always have to consider the element of surprise.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Unless I am not alone they can have my car. "Keys are in it, she pulls to the right". Of course I drive a '99 Suzuki so I don't expect to be the target of a car jacking unless they need a getaway vehicle.

Now if I am in the car with family? All bets are off.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This didn't work out as well for the driver.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180715-story.html

Woman, 59, shot dead by would-be carjacker when vehicle didn't stop

Katherine Rosenberg-DouglasContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune
July 15, 2018

An attempted carjacking turned into a homicide Sunday morning, killing a 59-year-old woman in West Humboldt Park, police said.

About 7:15 a.m., police were called to the 900 block of North Kedvale Avenue on the city’s West Side on a report that a woman was shot. Authorities learned that a 71-year-old man, a 70-year-old woman and the 59-year-old woman all were in a vehicle when a short, thin black man in his 20s wearing a red hoodie walked up to the driver’s side of the vehicle and pulled a gun on the driver in an attempt to steal the vehicle, according to a statement from police.

The man who was driving continued on and the would-be carjacker began firing at the back of the vehicle, police said. The 59-year-old woman was shot in the back of the head.

She was rushed to Stroger Hospital in critical condition and later was pronounced dead, police said.

The two other people in the car were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital for observation.

No arrests have been made, and authorities are investigating. Police said the man is about 5 feet 4 inches tall and had a thin build. He was last seen wearing the red hoodie.

Check back for updates.

Posts: 16022 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If I were the cops in Chicago, or anywhere, I'd be pretty damn suspicious of people wearing hoodies in July...

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigforall:
http://abc7chicago.com/pregnan...in-bucktown/3795028/

I'm guessing letting them take it was better than getting into a gunfight?

It's Chicago... One of the great liberal bastions, and was home of some of the more restrictive gun laws our country has to offer.
You're assuming something in your statement; that they even OWN one of those nasty, evil things we call a "gun".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8550 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I say fuck them.
Fuck the PoS that stole the car and Fuck the white liberals that got there car stolen. This is exactly where crime should take place, the people that live there vote democratic and for everything that stands for, in Chicago THAT'S A LOT!

Posts: 4700 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even if you comply you can still get killed anyway. Maybe they don't want to leave a witness, maybe they just get a thrill out of it. For that matter, what is to keep them from just shooting you right off the bat and dragging and tossing your body from the car, just to make it easier? There have been many cases of this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video has me thinking how fast and close that gun fight could have been.

"You always have to consider the element of surprise."

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1250 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was last seen wearing the red hoodie.

Hoodie = up to no good.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:

Hoodie = up to no good.

In July? Heck yeah! Shoot first...

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Even if you comply you can still get killed anyway. Maybe they don't want to leave a witness, maybe they just get a thrill out of it. For that matter, what is to keep them from just shooting you right off the bat and dragging and tossing your body from the car, just to make it easier? There have been many cases of this.

This. If the mutt is armed, you have no idea what he is capable of or what is going through his mind. Personally, I'll assume he will use it. That's why I always have a gun on my person and quick access to one in the car.

I can't imagine living in a city where I can't legally defend myself. The criminals certainly have no problem acquiring guns.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://abc7chicago.com/3-charg...n-bucktown-/3804064/

They crashed one of the stolen cars a few hours later, and were tracked by the vehicles GPS system. and were arrested! That is karma working for you.
----------------------------------------
Three men have been charged in a pair of carjackings in Chicago on Friday, including one of a pregnant woman and her husband.

Police arrested Dwayne Liberty, 21, Tyran Carter, 26, and Terronde Gordon, 25, Friday after they crashed one of the stolen cars and ran away.

The first carjacking occurred in the 5100-block of South Cornell Avenue at about 3:15 a.m. Friday. Police said the three men approached a 27-year-old man and took his vehicle and belongings at gunpoint.

At about 9:30 a.m., police said the three men jumped out of a vehicle in the 1700-block of North Wolcott Avenue and approached a man and his pregnant wife, both 33.

Police said the man was taking out the garbage while his pregnant wife backed the car out of the garage. The offenders made the couple lie on the ground and stole the victim's wallet, purse and phone before making off with their car, police said.

The three men were taken into custody at about 12:46 p.m. in the 400-block of West 97th Street after they were seen fleeing a hit-and-run crash involving one of the stolen vehicles, police said. Officers tracked the suspects using the vehicle's GPS.

Liberty and Gordon have both each been charged with vehicular hijacking with a firearm and two counts of armed robbery with a firearm. Carter has been charged with three counts of vehicular hijacking with a firearm and three counts of armed robbery with a firearm. The men are scheduled to appear in bond court on Sunday.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I say fuck them.
Fuck the PoS that stole the car and Fuck the white liberals that got there car stolen. This is exactly where crime should take place, the people that live there vote democratic and for everything that stands for, in Chicago THAT'S A LOT!

You assume they're smart enough to make that connection.

These are people that blame an inanimate object and systemic racism by "the man" aka white people/the police rather than the criminal...

You're talking about chess and those idiots are playing Hungry Hungry Hippos. You think that conversation is getting anywhere? May as well talk to a wall and get a better response.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

This. If the mutt is armed, you have no idea what he is capable of or what is going through his mind. Personally, I'll assume he will use it. That's why I always have a gun on my person and quick access to one in the car.

I can't imagine living in a city where I can't legally defend myself. The criminals certainly have no problem acquiring guns.

Jim

I'm not defending Chicago, but you can legally defend yourself in Chicago. Even if you're out of state. You can have a gun in your car.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:

Hoodie = up to no good.

I'm not defending the perp here at all, but I think this whole "hoodie = bad" thing is a blanket statement that does no good. Like the gun, the hoodie is not inherently evil. It's July where I am, too, and it's chilly this morning. I've got a hoodie on. Am I inherently up to no good, because I'm wearing a hoodie? No. There's almost always a hoodie in my truck, because I often get caught up in a weather change. HoodieNecessarily Bad.

That said, I'll offer another opinion: I don't think I'm about to give up my car in a 'jacking situation... I'd like to think I'd have the presence of mind to stomp on the big pedal and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible. It seems to me that getting out of the car and letting someone else have it leaves me on the street, vulnerable to the next jerk who wants something of mine (or to kill me). Um... no.

Maybe I'm wrong....

God bless America.

Posts: 13913 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
http://abc7chicago.com/3-charg...n-bucktown-/3804064/

They crashed one of the stolen cars a few hours later, and were tracked by the vehicles GPS system. and were arrested! That is karma working for you.
----------------------------------------
Three men have been charged in a pair of carjackings in Chicago on Friday, including one of a pregnant woman and her husband.

Police arrested Dwayne Liberty, 21, Tyran Carter, 26, and Terronde Gordon, 25, Friday after they crashed one of the stolen cars and ran away.

The first carjacking occurred in the 5100-block of South Cornell Avenue at about 3:15 a.m. Friday. Police said the three men approached a 27-year-old man and took his vehicle and belongings at gunpoint.

At about 9:30 a.m., police said the three men jumped out of a vehicle in the 1700-block of North Wolcott Avenue and approached a man and his pregnant wife, both 33.

Police said the man was taking out the garbage while his pregnant wife backed the car out of the garage. The offenders made the couple lie on the ground and stole the victim's wallet, purse and phone before making off with their car, police said.

The three men were taken into custody at about 12:46 p.m. in the 400-block of West 97th Street after they were seen fleeing a hit-and-run crash involving one of the stolen vehicles, police said. Officers tracked the suspects using the vehicle's GPS.

Liberty and Gordon have both each been charged with vehicular hijacking with a firearm and two counts of armed robbery with a firearm. Carter has been charged with three counts of vehicular hijacking with a firearm and three counts of armed robbery with a firearm. The men are scheduled to appear in bond court on Sunday.

Doubt they will do any real time. Back out jacking and robbing in 2019. Hopefully I am wrong.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

...I'd like to think I'd have the presence of mind to stomp on the big pedal and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible...

Me too, but that may not work with some of these...savages. See the article I posted in this thread on July 21.

Posts: 16022 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And YOU sir, would be guilty of the political crime of profiling.
I bet you're a white male, aren't you?

The important thing is not what you are wearing it is the body language you pay attention to. Hands in pockets avoiding eye contact, stalking behavior.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I say fuck them.

This pretty much covers it.
But if a few of the jackers get shot, it might make some of them go away.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post