SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago car jacking. Good to let them just take it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago car jacking. Good to let them just take it? Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
He was last seen wearing the red hoodie.

Hoodie = up to no good.

In July? Heck yeah! Shoot first...

[in a courtroom]

Prosecution Atty: "Sir, why did you shoot the decedent?"

Defendant: "He came towards me wearing a hoodie in 100 degree weather."

Prosecution Atty: "No further questions, yer honor."

Defense Atty: "Sir, why did you shoot the decedent?"

Defendant: "He came towards me wearing a hoodie in 100 degree weather."

Prosecution Atty: "State rests."
Defense Atty: "State rests."

[Jury out... back in. 3 minutes]

Foreman: "We, the jury- find the defendant, not guilty."

Gavel: "BANG!"

Judge: "The defendant is free to go. Court dismissed.

Bailiff: "All rise..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
...But if a few of the jackers get shot, it might make some of them go away.

Some years back, a bad guy in Washington, D.C. saw a young black dude wearing a suit, driving a BMW convertible. Figuring it would be an easy carjacking, he pointed his gun at the driver. Who happened to be an FBI Agent on his way to work. BG DRT.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The three bad guys were driving a Prius which is probably a first.

Can your really blame them for wanting another car? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
If I were the cops in Chicago, or anywhere, I'd be pretty damn suspicious of people wearing hoodies in July...

I was in a store just yesterday and saw a guy standing at one of the registers with his hood up. I stopped dead in my tracks to see if he had a weapon.

Posts: 21375 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can your really blame them for wanting another car?

Not at all. Did not know that carjackers were environmentalists as well. Learn something new every day.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
quote:

Hoodie = up to no good.

I'm not defending the perp here at all, but I think this whole "hoodie = bad" thing is a blanket statement that does no good. Like the gun, the hoodie is not inherently evil. It's July where I am, too, and it's chilly this morning. I've got a hoodie on. Am I inherently up to no good, because I'm wearing a hoodie? No. There's almost always a hoodie in my truck, because I often get caught up in a weather change. HoodieNecessarily Bad.

That said, I'll offer another opinion: I don't think I'm about to give up my car in a 'jacking situation... I'd like to think I'd have the presence of mind to stomp on the big pedal and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible. It seems to me that getting out of the car and letting someone else have it leaves me on the street, vulnerable to the next jerk who wants something of mine (or to kill me). Um... no.

Maybe I'm wrong....

Every single one of my work sweatshirts is a hoody. I wear them frequently, sometimes even when has warmed a bit. I almost never have the hood up in public, that’s just for times like using a pole saw overhead (to keep sawdust from raining down the back of my shirt), or some similar type of issue.

A nearby city (Atascadero, which is Spanish for mudhole) tried to enact a ban on hoodies within the city. I dunno if the city attorney explained to the council how ill-advised their efforts were or whether it was citizen uproar that stopped it.

Seems to me that I ought to be aware as I go about my day, and if something seems really out of place I should recognize that and perhaps add a little additional scrutiny, but still not get tunnel vision, and not leap to conclusions without evidence. That’s just me though, YMMV.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
If I were the cops in Chicago, or anywhere, I'd be pretty damn suspicious of people wearing hoodies in July...

And YOU sir, would be guilty of the political crime of profiling.
I bet you're a white male, aren't you?

Funny! Big Grin

Posts: 13312 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

...I'd like to think I'd have the presence of mind to stomp on the big pedal and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible...

Me too, but that may not work with some of these...savages. See the article I posted in this thread on July 21.

I did read the article (and thank you for pointing it out again). I'll admit it's not the fits-all solution, but I'm not sure I know of another.

Fight or flight... given the option, I'll try to bail. I'm better at driving than I am at fighting. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13905 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Jokes on the thieves, just wait until they have to service that Ranger Rover...which will be very soon.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4637 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doubt they will do any real time. Back out jacking and robbing in 2019. Hopefully I am wrong.

Chicago is closing jails, has a clogged court system, and plea bargains are rule. A gun charge will be bargained away, or dismissed. Even if convicted the jails find ways to cut sentences or have court orders to reduce overcrowding.

“Once police have done their job in taking violent offenders off the street, Chicago politicians and the local criminal justice system seem to place favor toward the criminals. There appears to be a serious lack of prosecution in Chicago’s Criminal Justice System. With sub-par prosecution rates, criminals have little incentive to stop committing crimes including homicide.”
http://www.netadvisor.org/2015...cution/#.W1VgAt9lCf1

“The districts of Eastern New York, Central California, and Northern Illinois ranked 88th, 89th and 90th, respectively, out of 90 districts, in prosecutions of federal weapons crimes per capita last year,”
https://www.usnews.com/news/bl...t-federal-gun-crimes

In nearby Indiana
“The Star's review of every gun charge in Marion County from 2009 to June of this year found that prosecutors — Democrat and Republican alike — dismissed 3,059 gun charges, including 1,508 felony counts. Among those dismissals were 371 charges for possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon.

The Star's findings include:

• More than half of felony gun charges were dismissed, usually in plea agreements.

• Possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon — the charge specifically aimed at getting violent criminals off the streets — was dismissed in 41 percent of cases.

• A change in the state's criminal code that began July 1 reduced the jail time for possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon.”
https://www.indystar.com/story...ion-county/16760997/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hoodie = up to no good.

I'm not defending the perp here at all, but I think this whole "hoodie = bad" thing is a blanket statement that does no good.

Maybe I'm wrong....

If I see someone in a hoodie near me, I'll be on guard with my hand near my gun.
More often than not, hoodie = crime being committed.
I see it on the news every morning. Tells me what to be cautious of.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I see someone in a hoodie near me, I'll be on guard with my hand near my gun.
More often than not, hoodie = crime being committed.
I see it on the news every morning. Tells me what to be cautious of.

"More often than not." I'm curious how you're so sure on that one. I'm not aiming to be disrespectful or argumentative, but I don't believe that one is fully factual.

I also believe you'd be on guard all the time if you lived near a college town... unnecessarily.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be vigilant, but not everyone wearing a hoodie is a criminal.

It's the person inside the hoodie, not the hoodie. Just like it's the one using the gun, not the gun.

God bless America.

Posts: 13905 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live a few blocks away. I have a carry permit. I defend people charged with gun offenses. The video shows three guys coming out of a Prius quickly. It’s a relatively safe neighborhood. Million plus properties. The leader did not wear a hood and was clearly identifiable, as was the weapon. With felony backgrounds and the tape, the State has no reason to reduce the charges. Pregnant victim + Class X w/background = ten years plus. By the way, I carry a Sig.

Posts: 37 | Registered: June 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hey Pal:
I live a few blocks away. I have a carry permit.

How did you get a carry permit in Chicago?

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
I live a few blocks away. I have a carry permit.

How did you get a carry permit in Chicago?

Ten's of thousands of people who live in Chicago have CCW permits. Have for almost 5 years now and the number grows daily.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve had Concealed carry for years.

Posts: 37 | Registered: June 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
We’ve had Concealed carry for years.

quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Ten's of thousands of people who live in Chicago have CCW permits. Have for almost 5 years now and the number grows daily.

Thanks, guys. I assumed that was just about impossible in the land of Rahm.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post