SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holy cow, $1200 for a single electric plug install
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy cow, $1200 for a single electric plug install Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I finally figured it out!

He’s using 12/2 SG Romex for the run

SG = Solid Gold

Big Grin

Posts: 33833 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
She got 7 estimates at a cost of $175.00.

I'm no expert, but I've been around or directly involved in a decent amount of the usual homeowner contracting for repairs/remodels, including stuff like electrical, plumbing,
painting, landscaping, tiling, roofing, flooring, custom cabinets, etc.

But I've never dealt with or even heard of a contractor who would require payment for an estimate, and I suspect most clients these days would not be willing to fork over any money for just an estimate.

Perhaps some unscrupulous contractors decided they could fleece little old Mary out of a bit of extra cash by insisting she pay for estimates?

I have friends in Wisconsin that routinely have to pay for a tradesman quote. In Texas it's unheard of.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I was just about to say that price sounds like a Mr. Sparky price. They’ve been ripping people off for years. They wanted to charge a customer of mine $7500 for a panel changeout about 10 years ago. I did it for a fraction of that.

Yep they are a giant rip off. I interviewed there before I knew who they were. It would have been a substantial pay raise, I didn't have it in me to rip people off. They showed me their price book, I about shit my pants.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double edge sword...

On one edge you have people complaining about what a company charges.

On the other, you have tradesmen (electricians, etc) complaining about working for an hourly wage with no benefits.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gocatgo:
I have friends in Wisconsin that routinely have to pay for a tradesman quote. In Texas it's unheard of.

Interesting. Must be a Yankee thing. Big Grin

Posts: 32531 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Guy installed 60 amp and my Tesla charger for less than $500. That seems like highway robbery.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post