SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holy cow, $1200 for a single electric plug install
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy cow, $1200 for a single electric plug install Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Daughters house has one set of plugs in the front, insufficient for todays use of electrical items. two car garage standard size, electric panel in front of garage, easy access to open area above garage. IE nothing difficult about the install.

They have a golf cart that needs to be charged we used Angi List to get an electrician to quote putting in a drop. Initial idea was two drops each side, 4 plugs each drop.

The main panel is at the front of the garage, they want $2400 to run two 20 circuits, one each side ($1200 a drop, one set of dual plug outlet each side, and $370 each for the second outlet on each side.

If we opt for one 20 install and one single outlet on one side, then chain it to the other on the same 20 with a single outlet, $1800.

Yeah no, so, this is probably something I can run myself, buy the wires, conduit, boxes and plugs at Home Desperate or Lowes. I installed the 220 connection for the generator to feed my panel.

We did this in our 3 and 1/2 garage a few years back and it was around $500 to $600 installed for 2 four plug drops with separate 20 circuits each.

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That seems insanely high. Confused

Either they have a lot of joists to drill through or some other obstacles to overcome or this is the “fuck off“ price and they don’t want to be bothered with this job.

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
This is why many folks (average folks, that is) will be surprised after they buy that shiny plug-in electric car and discover they have a 100-amp completely full panel and will need to upgrade the entire kit and kabootle to a 200 amp with 30 or 40 slots to allow a 220 line to their garage.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Seems high to me as well. I won't go into the details job costs I've had only to say they where substantially lower than your quotes. Licensed electrician, working for a reputable company which did workman job with good clean up and attention to detail.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'd venture a guess and say thats about 3 times a fair price

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
This is why many folks (average folks, that is) will be surprised after they buy that shiny plug-in electric car and discover they have a 100-amp completely full panel and will need to upgrade the entire kit and kabootle to a 200 amp with 30 or 40 slots to allow a 220 line to their garage.

Agree, however this panel has plenty of room and we're talking 110. This was a Mr. Sparky referred off Angi.

Lucky the guy next door is remodeling a rental to sell, he gave us his card and said he'd be much less expensive, probably take him up on it.

For Mr. Sparky money I can fly my nephew who has a electricians company, his wife down, do the work, buy the bits and feed him wings beer, pizza and a day at disney for less..

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I was just about to say that price sounds like a Mr. Sparky price. They’ve been ripping people off for years. They wanted to charge a customer of mine $7500 for a panel changeout about 10 years ago. I did it for a fraction of that.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3974 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary wanted to update her 30 y.o. master bath.

She got 7 estimates at a cost of $175.00.

She ended up choosing the correct fella.

He took five days longer than the others because he worked alone.
He came in under the quoted cost.
He was not the least expensive,
But he was $4,600.00 less than the most expensive.

She liked his work so much she had him do another $3,500 worth of improvments

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54666 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
She got 7 estimates at a cost of $175.00.

I'm no expert, but I've been around or directly involved in a decent amount of the usual homeowner contracting for repairs/remodels, including stuff like electrical, plumbing, painting, landscaping, tiling, roofing, flooring, custom cabinets, etc.

But I've never dealt with or even heard of a contractor who would require payment for an estimate, and I suspect most clients these days would not be willing to fork over any money for just an estimate.

Perhaps some unscrupulous contractors decided they could fleece little old Mary out of a bit of extra cash by insisting she pay for estimates?

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that estimate for the electrical work was way overcharge with everybody in the contact chain getting their cut of the money... as for someone doing the work should be certified/bonded/licsened/insured/etc due to fact that if something happens due to improper work that the insurance company denial of coverage........... drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
The main panel is at the front of the garage, they want $2400 to run two 20 circuits, one each side ($1200 a drop, one set of dual plug outlet each side, and $370 each for the second outlet on each side.
Damn, I really ripped myself off. I installed a 20 amp breaker and run from the back of a friend's garage (where the panel was), up through the attic to one side of the front of the garage where I installed a two gang box and two receptacles. All for the grand total of $400. If people are getting $1,800 for that type of work, I need to re-think what I'm spending my spare time doing. Wink

Another friend had an electrician out to install a ~25 foot run of 220v to a new oven/microwave combo unit she bought. Double pole breaker was already in the main box so no need to add anything there. Electrician charged her $1,100 for that install.

I think all of this is due to all the new Florida homeowners, and electricians (and other trades) having way too much work right now.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
we used Angi List to get an electrician to quote putting in a drop. Initial idea was two drops each side, 4 plugs each drop.

The main panel is at the front of the garage, they want $2400 to run two 20 circuits

Yeah, I'd want to get another estimate before jumping on this...

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
It does sound high...
We try to get at least 3 estimates for any job. Sometimes that's harder than it sounds, especially these days.
We had to remove some Ash tree's - 4 total with one very close to the house. We got three bids, first guy wanted 10k, second guy wanted $3200, third guy wanted $1750 which included stump grinding.
The guy who bid 10K had a really nice jacked up F-250 and appeared to have no problem bidding that amount. So it seems like he has no trouble getting people to pay that much.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3927 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary's a widow now but early on she and her husband built two dozen homes ,here in tiny town.

The people that charged for estimates were coming from 45 miles away.

The locals here are booked 13 months out , and her little ole bathroom was way low on their list

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54666 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
When I bought my house I discovered there was only one outlet in the garage. I went down to the hardware store and bought some conduit, wire, plugs and boxes. About $100 and an afternoon's work and I had six outlets.

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The local market is critical as far as price. You would pay at least that much here, but all the tradesmen are booked solid and actually trying to shed work because they can't find staff.

Posts: 1972 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Get another quote.
Never base on a single quote.
Talk to them and ask them to justify the price.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Does the electrician pull any requisite permits with city and county (as required)?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I recently had to replace my meter main. I was expecting 1500.00 It came to 3000.00. I paid it. Wasn't happy about it but it was my fault for hiring a friend without getting a formal bid. Lesson learned.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Does that include permits?

I would get more quotes. How busy are electrical contractors in your area?

This guy might not want the job and figured he would bid it high so he didn’t get it and if he did great.

He might also just be trying to get as much as he can.

Get more quotes and go from there. Ask about permits. Also just because he gave you a price doesn’t mean there is no room to negotiate. Some contractors don’t but with a price so high he may expect it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post