SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this child endangerment?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this child endangerment? Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
Driving home, I encountered this couple on the side of the road.
At first I was shocked to see "furries" in the middle of nowhere.
And I do mean in the middle of nowhere. 25 miles either direction from anything close to civilization.

2 weeks ago my wife saw them in our closest shopping area which is 16 miles from the house.
She said they were on the side of the road pushing the baby cart and the young woman was motioning at traffic.
I remember her saying something but forgot about it.
So I put up the photo and my cousin-in-law tells me she saw them 40 miles to the east of us.
So now they're 40 miles to the west which leads me to believe they're transients.
And perhaps mentally ill.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call the cops. This is NOT right.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What I would have done was to call the police and let them sort it out.

I did that a couple of years ago here. Hispanic male and female with infant in stroller and one by the hand with a sign begging at the Kroger parking lot. It was early spring, still light out but cold enough for the kids to be at risk.

I called the dispatch center on the non emergency number to report it and mentioning the two very young children. Don't know the outcome but never seen them out there again. If the parents want to beg, so be it, but don't involve the children.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
well, in the ye olde days, we all got around on Pat and Charlie..or we had a cow or ox or horse to ride...even an ass...

so....I dunno

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Are we positive there's a child in that push cart? The local wildlife in downtown Tacoma also love strollers and buggies to haul their tent rolls and bags of garbage... I mean, belongings around in. I've even seen a few use them for their dogs that so many of them seem to have.

I'd call them in for sure. They're out of place, at the very least.

Posts: 17624 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Maybe call county Animal Control dept?

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I'm usually a "live and let live" kind of person. But when there's kids involved I will err on the side of caution. I'd call and let the LEO/CPS decide.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
A "furry"? You mean they are dressed like animals in that pic? What the ...?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Furries crack me up.
Back in 2012, my wife and I went on a cruise. No one bothered to tell us it was a Furry Convention. They were constantly explaining to people that this was just a way to let them be free and express their feelings via their dress up characters. I am all for freedom of expression, but something about a dude wearing ass-less chaps with a huge horse tail held on by a strap on harness, is just not right.

I would have called the police and let them know a few weirdos were on the side of the road.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
As asked before, are you certain there was a child in the stroller?

If not, I'd say let them be. I'd probably let them be either way without knowing more details. If their transients, life is already hard. Getting hastled by the police won't make things better. They're not automatically criminals.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't assume there is a kid in that stroller unless you actually saw one. So the answer to your question is No. If you didn't actually see a child in danger, it's not child endangerment.

Posts: 2532 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

This reminds me of the movie Speed where the bus hit the baby carriage ... that was full of cans of food.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

This reminds me of the movie Speed where the bus hit the baby carriage ... that was full of cans of food.

Actually it was full of empty soda/beer cans that had been collected to return for deposit.

What the hell is a furry?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

People who like to dress up and role play as furry animals. A little, OK, a lot, odd, but as far as I know harmless.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

A Furry is what happens when you don't beat your kid enough. Or too much. Either way, you didn't beat them the exact right amount.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
While it felt like too much and too often at the time, I turned out OK.

Oh, wait. I'm a monkey...

Damn.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
well, in the ye olde days, we all got around on Pat and Charlie..or we had a cow or ox or horse to ride...even an ass...

so....I dunno

yeah, but we rode them, not dress like them.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I highly doubt there is a baby in the stroller, but if there is, I might call the police.

More than likely it's where they keep their shit for easy transportation until they get their next hit or fix.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the transients in Phoenix used to use those all the time to transport their survival gear

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post