SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Consider This About The USPS for a Second...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Consider This About The USPS for a Second... Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I'll just drop this in right here. On a Wednesday, she started the job. Came back the next day to finish it off. (Note the leaf bags.)

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
If you want something shipped for free via a refund, send something guaranteed next day with USPS. Works every time

I sent a Priority USPS letter to my daughter, tracked it, the moment it was delivered I told my daughter to go to her mailbox to get it (condo complex with a central mail facility). She did, it wasn't there. The local USPS checked the mail box that day, said it was lost, I should file a claim, which it did.

My claim was denied. I appealed, about four months later I got a check for ~$15.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
Might be a good place for this: Smile

"I paid $110 for PRIORITY and it took EIGHT DAYS to get my parcel from downtown San Francisco to the San Francisco airport, a distance of 14.8 miles.

A turtle could have done that in four days. Seriously, I looked it up. An ordinary box turtle cruises 0.17 mph; it could make it from the Rincon Center post office to the cargo terminal of SFO in 87 hours. The United States Post Service took 179 hours to make the same trip.

And I had to wait in line at the post office. There is no line at the turtle store. I could have popped in, bought a turtle, strapped the parcel to its shell, and it would have gotten there in less than half the time.

Can I get a refund here? A partial refund? A complimentary box of turtle food? Anything?"

https://www.esquire.com/news-p...ps-complaint-letter/

Last summer I had a package that took six weeks (IIRC) to get from San Francisco to San Jose, about 45 miles, which is about 4 feet per minute.

Also last summer I sent a pkg of books, CA to Utah, USPS Media rate. It was in a small heavy duty UPS shipping box, well packaged and taped. It never arrived, they tracked it, said it was somewhere in the Mid-West, IIRC Iowa. Then a couple of weeks later they told me the pkg was in "recovery(?)", meaning it was lost/destroyed. And recovery is handled out of Atlanta GA (again IIRC). Could I send a list of books, by title, author, ISBN, color of book cover, maybe they could recover some of the books. I did send them a list of the books, incl author and title. But good news. A couple of weeks ago they sent me an email, don't give up, they are still looking for the books.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked to our retired Post Master, great person. He said he was shipping all his Christmas presents UPS and FEDEX.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Linky Dinky

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Maybe Amazon ought to be delivering the mail. At least they don’t leave packages leaning against a tree in the front yard.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would never ever send anything more than a postcard using USPS. UPS or FedEx. Get it done right the first time.

Or you could have driven it yourself

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I ship a lot of stuff thru USPS, Priority and First Class,

and some UPS Ground,

customer pays for item
I ship item,
send customer tracking number,

wash rinse repeat,

once in a blue moon UPS will have a delay status for something, then in 24 hrs that goes away, (I only know this cause a customer will ask me instead of UPS)

Priority and First Class have treated me and my customers well, rarely an issue,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10422 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
All of our mail goes to a “processing center” 300 miles away.

And get this. If one of the white mail trucks needs service, they put it on a flat bed truck and take it 200 miles away, and then truck it back.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And get this. If one of the white mail trucks needs service, they put it on a flat bed truck and take it 200 miles away, and then truck it back.

^^^^^^^^^
Yep. They have their very own mechanic shop!!!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I ship a lot of stuff thru USPS, Priority and First Class,

and some UPS Ground,

customer pays for item
I ship item,
send customer tracking number,

wash rinse repeat,

once in a blue moon UPS will have a delay status for something, then in 24 hrs that goes away, (I only know this cause a customer will ask me instead of UPS)

Priority and First Class have treated me and my customers well, rarely an issue,

You are a special person.

Years ago I was CFO of a consulting firm in CA. We had a client who would mail their monthly check (regular mail) on the last Fri of each month. Without exception we would get it in our mail the following Monday, two days later. We had a subsidiary office an hour away. Mail between the two offices would take at least a week.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
We have kids in Nashville TN and Portland OR. Priority is delivered in Portland before it is delivered in Nashville?

We are in Southern IN....2 1/2 hours away from Nashville???

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
One problem is that airlines have cut routes and flights and mail moves on those planes. Space is tight and certainly, things wait.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
All of our mail goes to a “processing center” 300 miles away.

After the anthrax attack in 2001, all letter mail must be scanned for Anthrax, which is done at the processing facility.
They used to be able to keep "local" mail at the town PO, but not anymore.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the post office is so efficient here in Tucson that you mail a letter here, they bag it and send it to Phoenix, sort it, send it back to Tucson and deliver it...

tell me how that is efficient - or even intelligent?

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here is my all time favorite. Well, so far anyway. I'm sure I will find one even more pathetic.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/5dNDdYp5Moc

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I was kid our mailman crashed the truck into our garbage cans every day. It was a battle of spite. Eventually we changed the game, rather than moving the cans we moved the mailbox, took away his joy. lol

Long ago when they did away with local mail and everything went to a centralized center, the writing was on the wall. Now I take a letter to into the post office and drop in in the box, addressed to to a PO Box literally feet away, and it goes in a truck and is shipped close to an hour away, only to come back a few days later to make that journey of mere feet.

I can see there came a point where sorting the incoming mail became time/cost prohibited. But is 2020, the world has changed, just how much incoming mail can they be getting?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Personally, I've been trying to figure out why the USPS' bar code system is so bad that; it allows for a package to incur a 36 hour delay (20%) in delivery time.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I take a letter to into the post office and drop in in the box, addressed to to a PO Box literally feet away, and it goes in a truck and is shipped close to an hour away, only to come back a few days later to make that journey of mere feet.
The Post Office in the small town where I work, has two mail slots in the lobby: one for local (same zip code) and the other for everything else.

The local stuff does not make the round trip to the regional center.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I had a certified letter, which needed to travel 90 miles, take 10 days to deliver.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post