SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there any active members here who aren't aware of the "Participating Members" policy for use of the classifieds section of this forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any active members here who aren't aware of the "Participating Members" policy for use of the classifieds section of this forum? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outfitter33:
...will try to post more and buy less.
The members who get tagged because of this policy have bought/sold/traded lots of stuff. It takes a lot for me to notice it. Again, I could run a report and have the answer in a couple of minutes but I'm not going to do that. One has to work at it for me to take notice, and that's intentional on my part, for the reasons I've stated.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Since you asked (I assume not rhetorically): no, I for one was not aware of this. But then, I never buy or sell anything. I’m here mostly to read stuff.

Not that my opinion matters, but I believe your “anti-poaching” policy makes sense.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I saw that ad late last night before there were any replies. I was quite tempted by it, and actually had the thought "I'm surprised none of the vultures have jumped on it already." I went to bed, telling myself "if it's there when I wake, up, I'll send him an email." When I refreshed in the morning, a vulture had jumped on it.

It's interesting to note that the seller's only posts outside of classifieds in four year's worth of posts is in the Glock thread to say he had bought a Glock 19 and was going to go try it out, and entering karmas for pistols. Real involved forum member.

One of the vultures wandered into a thread in this forum here today with a question he wouldn't have to ask if he regularly read here. More to the point, he'd know it was probably a faux pas to ask.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I get the policy and appreciate it. This is a rare online community we have here and I am glad to be a part of it

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Para isn't the only one who notices it.

I know if defenseivetactics had offered to buy something I posted I would have definitely declined to do business with him. I'm not sure how that would have played out but I would have died on that hill.

I contribute a little more than I should some times and I STILL feel guilty entering Karmas.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I STILL feel guilty entering Karmas.

I know right!!! I have done Karmas and try to post what little knowledge I can and help a member where I can and I always feel guilty entering to win a KARMA. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I've bought and sold a few items on Classifieds over the years. Selling, I treat the section the same way I'd treat the bulletin board at my club ("friends" price, same level of trust in the other party I'd have with an in-real-life associate.) Buying, I've been treated the same way. I've had purchases inbound before payment even reached the seller, solely on an e-mail and virtual handshake.

Want to get REALLY ticked off? Take one or two of the prolific sellers-but-not-posters in the Classifieds and figure out what their listing & selling fees would've been on Gunbroker had they run the transactions there, instead of here on Para's dime.

Invariably, this sort of stuff ends up being the reason we can't have nice things.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tell that to a man standing in the doorway of his own home.

It's been my experience many people have a poor grasp of the concept of "private property" in real life, and no grasp of the concept at all with regards to Internet property.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It's been my experience many people have a poor grasp of the concept of "private property" in real life, and no grasp of the concept at all with regards to Internet property.

They understand the concept of "their" private property, but not the concept of "other people's" private property.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Para,

You've made the policy very clear through the years. I don't post a ton, but read every single day for 20 years now. You run a tight ship and I appreciate you keeping the riff raff out. Asking people to participate in other sections of the forum outside of the classifieds is a very simple policy to follow, and the least members could do in my opinion.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
He's being deliberately obtuse.

I don't spend much time in Classifieds, but am aware of this and the other policies (like no price gouging and no posting items for sale on multiple forums).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'll go so far as to say you don't even have to know its a rule.

If you're not able to recognize that you are erroneously using the forum for your own selfish gain then you don't need to be here anyway.

Whether its a rule or not. The voice either ticks in their head and they ignore it or it doesn't tick at all. Either way its not a good look.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Para can be a dick but when he's being a dick, there's good reason for him to be one.

I know this because over the years, I've seen him respond to different situations where he wasn't being a dick and even to ones where I would have expected him to be a dick but he wasn't.

Even besides SIGForum being his house, he is fair and he's even apologized for the few times he missed being fair and took steps to make up for it. That says a lot about the man.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I was curious so I looked for and found the member (former) and thread in question.

For him to opine that many others agree with him shows how little he knows about this forum's membership through postings outside of the classified area.

Further his juvenile rantings simple serve as further evidence of some significant mental issues.

As to Para's opening query. I was aware of this and other rules and guidance from lurking long before registering as a member. It really wasn't and isn't a difficult task to become informed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed the forum for quite some time. I rarely post anything but feel like I know many of you. I am guilty of not participating and must do better. Thank you for the forum Para this is a great place because of your member participation.

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best part of that dude's rant was when he basically said, and I PARAphrase, "You fucked with the wrong Marine!" LOL

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The sense of entitlement some people have. Tip of the hat to Para for having such restraint and giving the guy more than a few chances to see the light.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the seller's post last night and thought it was a pretty good deal. I passed on it because I have enough guns and would rather have another member get a G19 for a fair price (here in PR Glock 19s are going for 1k+ if they even have them in stock).

The fact that it went to someone who only uses the classifieds to snatch up deals defeats the very purpose of a community. I wasn't aware of this rule but think it's fair. Members should help and benefit other members.

I will apologize because I made this account to buy a set of SigPro Crimson Trace grips. In my defense do you know how hard it was to find Crimson Trace laser grips for a SP2009?

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
Im kinda torn on this one. I see both sides made valid points in their oral arguments! lol

where 'bayou' really stepped on his weenie was the threats and insults to an owner that's providing a service for FREE.

some guys are just knuckleheads and have to learn the hard way

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Threatening someone in their own home typically wouldn’t go well. The point made that lots of folks don’t understand private property on the internet is a good one. It bears repeating.

And after decades of observing internet behavior, I’d say Para has an “eye” for shitty online personalities. It only took a touch of gentle prodding to provoke that level of response. Whoa.

I rarely post anywhere except the Lounge, Lair, and Whats your Deal. I’m here more for the community than the guns (but it’s always nice to learn more!). Almost never enter karmas, (again the guilt) because I don’t use the forum for more gun related stuff!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post