SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there any active members here who aren't aware of the "Participating Members" policy for use of the classifieds section of this forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any active members here who aren't aware of the "Participating Members" policy for use of the classifieds section of this forum? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I find it very difficult to believe that members who've been here for years are not aware of this policy.

When you keep coming up on my radar for violating this policy, this is one possible outcome:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9300064284

Insults and taunts change nothing. Neither do rationalizations of "I'm doing nothing wrong." This policy has been in place for years. I may never notice the slick ones using Classifieds exclusively, but if I notice you violating this policy, you'll hear from me.

I don't care what they do on other boards. I don't care if this policy makes sense to members. I care about members having the respect and consideration to adhere to the rules and policies of this forum, both written and unwritten.

This is not going to change, gentlemen, and if you don't like being called out for such behavior, then by God don't behave that way. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Posts: 107224 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don’t do anything in the classifieds but I’m definitely aware of this rule. I think it’s a great rule because scammers aren’t gonna be contributing to the forum and it’s a good way to weed them out. If I were to buy or sell on the forum I’d be looking at members posts before wondering if they are legit.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12403 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
This kind of stuff makes me want to put a boilerplate set of rules on any of my sales like:
Must be a participating member for more than a year.
Must have more than 300 posts *outside of the Classified section*
Etc.

It sticks in my craw when I see something for sale at a "friends and family" price and it gets snatched up by some vulture that is neither friend nor family.
Thankfully, there are few and Para knows their names.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy this site. I may not post often, but I am reading posts in a few specific sections, daily. I read where the "inspiration" for this thread originated, and I am of the mind to just drop it. Yes, it is your sandbox, but keeping the confrontation alive has no positive value.
Just one Mann's opinion.
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^ One thing I've noticed over the years is that the owner of this forum doesn't need any advice on how to conduct himself. If he continues any dialogue with a member, it is for a reason.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MannKrafted:
I enjoy this site. I may not post often, but I am reading posts in a few specific sections, daily. I read where the "inspiration" for this thread originated, and I am of the mind to just drop it. Yes, it is your sandbox, but keeping the confrontation alive has no positive value.
Tell that to a man standing in the doorway of his own home.

My hope was that the new banned member would display a bit of humility and acknowledge that, yes, he's in someone else's house, and yes, he's benefitting from the existence of this place, so, he'll try to do better. Instead, he chose to rationalize his behavior and be defiant.

And "keeping the confrontation going" is not the intent of this thread. I am damn sick of repeating myself about this policy, so I am making all of this easily seen.

There's nothing to "keep going". The member has been banned. His IP address has been blocked and his email address now has been marked as SPAM. I don't see him, I don't hear from him. None of this will make him any more furious than he already is at this moment. It's not my problem. This board, however, is my concern, and I want active members to follow my rules and respect my policies. I am damn tired of having to keep addressing this, especially when a member who has violated the policy in question says "I've done nothing wrong" and damn well knows what they've done wrong.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I do believe that there are members who "participate" by lurking many many sections of this forum with great attention and may pop up with a visible contribution once a year or so. I appreciate them and wish there was a way to know who our introverted, dedicated readers are. I don't wish to paint them with the same brush as the "classifieds hawks" but it's hard to tell who is who, if only looking at post counts.
I wonder if Para has a way for tracking that?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve never bought or sold anything in the classifieds but I love the rule, personally. I’m sure many of the people that only buy things in the classifieds and don’t participate in other places here are just flipping items for profit. Thus taking advantage of the fair prices I’ve seen by members here.

If they don’t like it they can hit the bricks for all I care.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If someone elects to not post after registering here, that's perfectly fine. If a member wishes to inhabit one room of the forum only and post in that one section only, that's also perfectly fine. The one exception to this is Classifieds and I have explained that many, many times over the years.

"Well, other forums allow this kind of thing." No doubt about it, and while some of those forums may be privately funded, most have some sort of embedded advertisements, or membership fees, or both.

Contact our host and convince them to provide their server space and bandwidth for free, and I'll then remove this policy from the forum. Until then, things stand as they are.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It would take little effort to ascertain just who is violating this policy, but I don't want to do that. I address this kind of thing when I notice it, or when a members calls it to my attention. Otherwise, I turn a blind eye, and I do so because of the way some members choose to ignore the policy; I'd have to come down on more than a few members. Some new members truly are unaware of it, but people who are here day in, day out for years have no excuse.

One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Known etiquette policy for many years now, for sure.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a very unique website, that’s for sure. Sig guys are proud of their stuff, and most are more than generous in spreading their wealth of knowledge to us new guys. Even if most of us are lurkers, its much appreciated to have a source of knowledge so readily available.

Posts: 66 | Registered: February 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
It's clear the Classified section is offered as a virtual venue for contributing members to buy, sell & trade various items while pursuing their interest in firearms and other hobbies. Regularly participating members would know this without reading the waiver.

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
For me, being a participating member gives me more faith in a potential transaction. It’s like I “know” certain members here even without ever having met them in person.

I’ve been here for quite a while, don’t have as many posts as many but I do read more than I write.

I like the no bullshit approach this forum takes to classifieds. Other forums could learn a thing or two.

Posts: 13039 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope I didn’t blow it. I posted a “I will take it” for a couple of items last night. I frequent this site almost daily and enjoy the knowledge, news and opinions.
For a variety of reasons I rarely post. This incredibly well run site is a great resource and I enjoy the time I spend perusing it. I have seen it addressed in the past and not sure of the outcome, but I would be one more than willing to make a donation yearly to help cover costs. Hell, I have a Wall Street Journal subscription and enjoy the threads here more.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outfitter33:
I hope I didn’t blow it. I posted a “I will take it” for a couple of items last night.
Nobody's even lookin', man. I'm not looking to ban anyone. I just want members to follow my rules. In your case, 26 posts in a decade barely establishes a track record, so, no harm.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Para, will try to post more and buy less. If anyone has some MT fishing questions.... will be glad to answer.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Suicide by Para. What a jackass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It would take little effort to ascertain just who is violating this policy, but I don't want to do that. I address this kind of thing when I notice it, or when a members calls it to my attention. Otherwise, I turn a blind eye, and I do so because of the way some members choose to ignore the policy; I'd have to come down on more than a few members. Some new members truly are unaware of it, but people who are here day in, day out for years have no excuse.

Nor should you have to, you have always treated forum members as though they are responsible adults, it must be somewhat dismaying- albeit not very surprising- to have people show their inability to conduct themselves as such. Just makes me shake my head. It also makes me shake my head when the member confronted simply can’t accept blame and instead just continues to dig that hole deeper. Sheesh.

Happy to be here, boss.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post