SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there any active members here who aren't aware of the "Participating Members" policy for use of the classifieds section of this forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any active members here who aren't aware of the "Participating Members" policy for use of the classifieds section of this forum? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This is the only place I really like, or feel comfortable, selling or buying things. Why? Because I trust the folks on this forum and, even though I’ve never met anyone in person, I feel like I know you. Because of this forum.

Now…can we move forward and get another “The Hunt for Red October” thread going??? Wink

Posts: 714 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
What I finally learned here is that if you get in a spitting match with Para.. you aren't going to win.

Kind of reminds me of watching this video years ago of a scrawney kid getting frisked by a big NY city cop with about 5 others cops standing around and the kid decides to fight... my first and only thought was... doesn't he know this is not going to end well at all?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
What I finally learned here is that if you get in a spitting match with Para.. you aren't going to win.

Kind of reminds me of watching this video years ago of a scrawney kid getting frisked by a big NY city cop with about 5 others cops standing around and the kid decides to fight... my first and only thought was... doesn't he know this is not going to end well at all?

I think some folks get so unnecessarily aggressive and insist on showing their ass because this forum is so unique.

No ads, no fees, tightly moderated. Para truly is inviting us into his virtual home and offering us an opportunity to have a seat and conversation with anyone else who might be in the room with us.

Just some general common-sense rules to follow, most of which are unwritten, but should be pretty obvious if you participate (hell just read) and think of the Forum as something more than what you see on your screen.

In watching some of the meltdowns I’ve seen here, my guess is that most of the offenders are probably pretty good dudes outside the forum, but they cannot wrap their heads around how different a forum that this is; so they lash out…probably because they know they are wrong and are embarrassed. At least that is what I’d like to believe.

For me personally there was only one other forum on the net that was similar to this one, I was a staff-member and active member there for over a decade. The forum owner took a break…it’s been months now and I fear it will not return.

SigForum is all I’ve got left; thank’s Para for hosting us and running the rabble-rousers out of town when needed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having read this entire thread, it just further illustrates the unfortunate fact that communication via the web emboldens some folks to use the anonymity to act out and treat others
in a fashion they’d never do in person. Yeah, it’s an obvious point, but it seems to be happening
a lot everywhere these days. As I get older, it’s disheartening and frustrating to witness.

I may not post a lot, but I can’t begin to tell you how much I’ve learned from this community by simply following discussion threads of others more knowledgeable than I. For that, Sig Forum and it’s management has my respect and gratitude.

Keep calm and carry on.

Posts: 182 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Threatening someone in their own home typically wouldn’t go well. The point made that: lots of folks don’t understand private property on the internet, is a good one. It bears repeating.

And after decades of observing internet behavior, I’d say Para has an “eye” for shitty online personalities. It only took a touch of gentle prodding to provoke that level of response. Whoa.

I rarely post anywhere except the Lounge, Lair, and Whats your Deal. I’m here more for the community than the guns (but it’s always nice to learn more!). Almost never enter karmas, (again the guilt) because I don’t use the forum for more gun related stuff!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
In watching some of the meltdowns I’ve seen here, my guess is that most of the offenders are probably pretty good dudes outside the forum, ...

Having also watched these meltdowns, I have the opposite opinion - that the meltees are probably the same assholes outside as they were here.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think it’s just a matter of understanding you are in another’s house follow their rules or politely leave. You don’t have to agree with the rules, you don’t have to know the why of them rules you just need to be polite enough to accept the rules or move on.

Hell I don’t agree with some of the rules or things that have come up here. Not my house though so I take my shoes off at the door and respect what is asked.

Like was said I feel like the Internet as a whole breeds an attitude that thrives on anonymity. Me, I try to be the same respectful asshat in cyberspace that I am in real life. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An advantage of being a member of a forum as this is you can find specialized things regarding Sig’s that are not easily available. You can also trade things you are not using for other things you can use, or sell things you are not using to other members.

This is different than posting on a board to sell for profit.

Posting on a board as this one to benefit one self and other members is different than a commercial enterprise in just trying to profit.

These are 2 different reasons people may sell here.

I hope this makes sense. Money is not even important most of the time to a member say selling a Sig 220 holster (because they sold their 220) or seeking to trade it for their new gun’s holster.

If one lives in a small town or in a large city, this forum allows one to obtain the specialty things here.

The forum board sections are invaluable to search and learn from others also. It is all together which is why I have been here since 2003.

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm new here, and couldn't find any list of rules, or new member FAQs. I plan to operate like I do on the KelTec, S&W and Rimfire Central forums. That is, not being an argumentative, abrasive butthead, and try to add to, and not take away from, the community.

Just the way I was raised.

"I need a bigger safe...."

Posts: 18 | Location: Seattle | Registered: May 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Racer_X:
I'm new here, and couldn't find any list of rules, or new member FAQs. I plan to operate like I do on the KelTec, S&W and Rimfire Central forums. That is, not being an argumentative, abrasive butthead, and try to add to, and not take away from, the community.

Welcome aboard Racer. There are rules posted in the classifieds all the others rely on reasonably good sense.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Now on the topic: I found SIG Forum when I thought USPSA might be interesting and Mr. Google brought me here and I haven't left. It's pretty easy to understand really, Parabellum and his admins aren't running a shop or a store or a hustle; they are hosting a gathering of friends and like thinkers where all are welcome but everyone is expected to behave. If one missteps there may be a reminder, and if he says he can do anything he wants because...whatever, he may be reminded again and after that he'll be tossed to the curb sometimes with great drama and sometimes disappears in the night.

I'm fairly obtuse, but it's been explained and demonstrated enough times to me so that I get it. I have invited more than a few friends to drop be and see if they want to stay and I'll do it again, I like it that much.

This isn't your ordinary forum, you are expected to behave like an adult.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:

Welcome aboard Racer. There are rules posted in the classifieds all the others rely on reasonably good sense.

parabellum's post up top? I have read it and looks fine to me.

"I need a bigger safe...."

Posts: 18 | Location: Seattle | Registered: May 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:

parabellum's post up top? I have read it and looks fine to me.

There are many unwritten/un-stickied rules that new members are not aware of, but veterans are (or should be). A few examples follow.

- Unless you have an interest in buying someone's stuff, want to ask questions or clarifications, or to point out some obvious listing error, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT get in the seller's thread and interfere with the sale, such as, "Your price is too high", for example. Use the Report button, if you want to report someone for violating something in the Classifieds and let Para take care of it.

- Do NOT inject politics into apolitical threads.

- Do NOT comment on folks' appearance (like making fun of your political enemies' looks).

- Do NOT post a link to a live auction.

- Do NOT B/S/T outside of the Classifieds, or boss man will kick your butt.

- And, although it's not stickied anywhere, >> this "rule" << is resurrected from time to time to remind folks.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Oh, and nested quotes are generally frowned upon. Razz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ Oh, and nested quotes are generally frowned upon. Razz

More accurately: Excessive nested quotes and full-quoting long posts just to address one point in it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The offer of a ball sack was pretty exciting, I must admit. Razz Wink

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Got a few good laughs out of that thread. That guy probably got so pissed he had to go upstairs to tell his mom about it.

“Para is a ho”

That would make a hilarious CUT-of-the-month for para. Big Grin

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim Para

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
There are many unwritten/un-stickied rules that new members are not aware of, but veterans are (or should be). A few examples follow.

Others:

- Don't threaten violence.

- Don't start flame wars with other fora. (forums)

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll admit to being stupid when I first got here (my banning was perhaps @10 years back). I didn't know who Para was and made a mistake of sticking up for someone who was out of line. When I read this instance, I feel bad Para even has to deal with folks like that. For my second version, I often don't see informal things that get posted (like stop putting up links to gunbroker) the first time, but eventually it seems I'll catch it someplace. I suspect I don't even know all of them at this point in time.

If the dude who was being the out of line self-entitled D.bag is reading this, Para pays for this site out of his own pocket. Look around and see if you see any ads? No ads, nobody asking for money, in fact even refusing when it's offered. He owns this site and doesn't ask for much, so when he does ask or tell: just STFU and listen. It's not hard to do. If you do come back, best to come back with an apology if you are genuinely sorry: then just chill out and do some exploring while listening and paying attention. Talk about Sigs and such for a while.

Best to all, and thanks again for the site Para.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post