SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Detachable key rings - need recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Detachable key rings - need recommendations Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I've yet to find one of those key ring devices that can be split into two separate rings of keys that I like. I am guessing someone here will have a great recommendation I have never even heard of - that is usually the case.

The device cannot be some flat, perfectly organized thing but I do want something of minimal bulk but very secure as this will be pocket carried almost every day and it is already quite bulky.

What I have is a ring full of many building keys (and flashlight) that needs to attach to a second ring that will vary depending on the vehicle of the day. That second key ring can have a car key, maybe a 2nd key, plus a remote fob, sometimes two.

Anything better than the traditional push a plunger and separate a ball detent cylinder?

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out some of the NiteIze products.

https://www.niteize.com/collec.../Key-Accessories.asp

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one will hold over 5 lb. if that is enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-...88963715&sr=8-2&th=1

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
When I realized I wanted the same thing, I started using these Flex-O-Loc wire key rings.
Nylon coated galvanized steel wire with a ball-knob and socket closure.
Been using them for years now. On that, I put an old separatable key ring fitting that looks like a little 1/8 NPT air chuck fitting to be able to join my car key and remote together. It is all very compact in the pocket when separated, which was what I needed.

Amazon

They also have another type that is permanently crimped to make them totally secure.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two Key Rings and One Snap Link?

DOUG
Military Police = MP = Mike Papa

Posts: 245 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: September 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I find that Stainless Quick Links are the most secure and ultimately the most flexible solution for detachable keys and rings, lack of design sexappeal aside.

Cheap and effective and ubiquitous.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I get mine from Home Depot. Go to the key duplicating area. They have the one you are looking for.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use these: Dark Sucks Kappa Quick Release.

They work great for keys and with the Beta flashlights.

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I use one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it on my regular ring and when I need to attach another key ring, I use it to connect them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It might not be a concern depending upon how it’s carried, but years ago I used the Flex-o-Loc cable ring that was opened by twisting and pulling (not the ball and socket version). One day after I got out of my car and locked the doors, I reached down to confirm I had my keys (yeah, I know: check then lock). To my dismay, they weren’t on my belt and when I looked through the closed window, there they were on the seat. Somehow in all my maneuvering around after putting my keys on my belt before getting out of the car, I twisted the ring just right to get it to release.

I would also be very leery of something that only required pulling to detach. Five or six pounds may seem like a lot, but I can think of reasonably likely things that might catch on one part and yank the two sections apart. Again, that may be less of a concern for pocket carry, but ….

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've found the NiteIze clips to be key losing devices. The ones I had the spring latches weren't strong enough and I repeated lost the keys.

I've also had the same with the screw together cable rings, coming undone and losing keys.

I do use one of those "Bang Ti" titanium clips to attach my work keys to a "Key-Back" so I can take it off and on quickly. Two or three years now without an issue.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
kappa quick release, darksucks. Made in the U.S. [ video ]

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Petzl screw lock carabiners.

https://www.backcountrygear.co...sEAQYASABEgL_4PD_BwE

I alternate between two cars and this is what I use for the same purpose you described.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post