SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disposing of an old CRT (tube) television?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disposing of an old CRT (tube) television? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
We've got an old 20" TV. Actually, it's the TV my wife owned when I met her in the 1990s.

No one wants it. Best Buy will take it, for the low, low price of 35 dollars. That's right- Best Buy wants to charge me for giving them my TV.

My city trash pick up folks won't take it. I looked online, I found a place that accepts CRTs, but they accept recyclables only from businesses, not individuals.

Who in the Atlanta metro area will take this thing?

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If you have an Office Max/Depot close by they’ll take it for free.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3977 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Have you checked with your township or county? They may have an electronics or TV recycling program.

The township my parents live in will accept TV's and other electronics from township residents only, free of charge.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to take our last one to the county landfill. Tried to donate it, but no one wanted it.

Posts: 1363 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Put it in a large black garbage bag throw in some wrinkled newspapers. Place it the trashcan.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Hmm

Gwinnett's trash people will take them if you go online and request a pickup, not sure what county you're in but check the website instead of calling

Ours is BFI

ETA: Gwinnett's trash is ran by the county, you can't choose who you use. I'm sure it's a racket but so far no problems. I go through the county's website to request pickups

Posts: 5342 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Just called and they do not accept such things.

Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
City of Roswell Georgia has a recycling center that opens to the public a few days a week. Not sure what area you live in but maybe you have one as well? https://www.roswellgov.com/gov...rks/recycling-center

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Just called and they do not accept such things.

I took one about 2 years ago. They must have stopped taking them. Frown

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3977 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looks like the city will take it. A while back the city gave us one of those huge trash containers. The idea was supposed to be that the emptying of the can would be by a remote control arm on the garbage truck, but what do I see when they come by to pick up trash? They're still doing it via old-fashioned manpower. Great. I've got this mondo large trash can, into which goes about three pounds of trash. Well, now I finally have use for the this thing, because the TV will fit in it, and if it fits in the can, the city will take it, at least according to the pleasant lady I spoke with.

Anyway, since Best Buy wanted to charge me to accept this TV I figured it had something to do with being "green" but, apparently not.

So, remember, boys and girls, to dismember those bodies...

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Put in an Amazon box, leave it on your porch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Put in an Amazon box, leave it on your porch.

My dad did similar years ago, but put it on the curb with a sign listing it for $20.
It was promptly stolen. Had it had a 'Free' sign on it, it would have probably sat there.

Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If it’s a nice Sony it will sell.

Posts: 9978 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
Have you checked with your township or county? They may have an electronics or TV recycling program.

The township my parents live in will accept TV's and other electronics from township residents only, free of charge.

^^^
This!

About 10 years ago now, I replaced a 32" Sony from 1995 and faced the same dilemma. I was an independent contractor and I asked my supplier if he knew where I could take the thing. He said 'why don't you dump it in our dumpster?' Problem solved.

Interestingly, I also have a 20" Sony out in the garage that I need to take to the city recycling center. Maybe with the next auto fluids I dispose of.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
If it’s a nice Sony it will sell.
It's a Zenith. If it were a Sony, I'd be keeping it.

posted Hide Post
My township use to accept old TV's and electronics but the cost of disposal became expensive so they stopped accepting stuff. If I remember correctly Waste Management wanted 100 bucks to take the TV so it sat in my basement for a few years until my neighbor's employer was trashing all of their old TV's and monitors so my TV's found their way into the pile. From what I understand the EPA made it difficult and expensive to dispose of old TV's that many townships stopped taking them and other places charged a good bit of money to take them which is why you see a lot of old TV's on the side of the road. Who's going to pay 35, 50 or 100 bucks to throw away an old TV or monitor?

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
My shop used to accept computer monitors etc. Then it started costing money to dispose of them correctly so we stopped accepting them. People would come by the store with these heavy ass CRT monitors and when we said that we no longer could accept them they would haul them back out to the car. Several times we had people just set them down in front of the door on their way out and RUN to their car leaving us with this crap.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
They make great trebuchet ammo.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had an old one that weighed about 90 pounds. When it died I just put it on the curb and it was gone the next morning. (Wasn't a trash pickup day, either.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Best way I've found to destroy a high vacuum
CRT is to break off the neck after first covering
it with a heavy tarp or similar.Then it's safe from
Imploding. Regards, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post