SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will E85 harm a non E85 vehicle?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will E85 harm a non E85 vehicle? Login/Join 
posted
Soooo...my wife just called saying she stopped for gas and filled up with "something called flex fuel - E85" in her 2002 Toyota.
She then informs me that she "inadvertently" did the same thing last week so she thought it was ok since it ran fine all week.
I'm concerned what it will do to the engine?
Should I remove at least some of the E85 from the tank and have her fill up with regular gas to dilute the E85?
My other thought is just drive and stop daily to fill with regular gas during the week.
Thanks.

Posts: 231 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: November 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My other thought is just drive and stop daily to fill with regular gas during the week.

One tank of the E85 - or even, apparently, two - isn't going to harm anything. Just don't make a habit of it.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I don't think it would hurt it one time, but I wouldn't do it again.

When I was going to college a woman pulled in with directions from her husband to fill up with the high octane fuel. This particular station sold race fuel at the pump. She was shocked when she went to hang the pump handle and saw that she had just purchased 30 gallons of fuel at $6.00 per gallon. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15725 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
We do a lot of flex fuel conversions. To run properly they usually need much larger injectors fuel pump and a flex fuel sensor. The worst thing that can happen is the car will Run lean and swell fuel lines and pump

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Just drive extra fast everywhere to burn the fuel out quicker.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
It's probably going to run poorly. If you don't pay attention to such things you might not even notice. It's very unlikely your at 85% now

Long term your fuel pump will be first thing to fail. That's been my observation anyway.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
At least she didn't fuel with Diesel.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What kind of new car does she have in mind? Wink

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If I were the OP, out of an abundance of caution I would run the car down to a 1/4 tank then fill it with ethanol free gas (link to find ethanol free gas stations).

Here is a study by the Auto Alliance, an auto industry lobbying group representing several major automakers, on E15 fuel some car engines from the 2001 to 2009 model years. To be fair, the test simulated 100,000 miles of useage which is far different than the OP's wife filling up twice with E85 in an '02.

I'm pretty picky about the fuel I put in my vehicles and ONLY put Top Tier gasoline in my vehicles and small engines. Here is an article about a AAA study on Top Tier gasoline vs regular gasoline.

On a side note, congratulations to the OP on finding the needle in a hay stack (i.e. a woman who fills up a car instead of $10 or $20 at a time).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23304 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's generally pretty observant about any noises, etc. the car may make and she said it ran as normal last week. She did have a 1/4 tank of regular when she filled up at that time.
Today the gauge was at 1/4 again but she added more E85 so I'm guessing it's no longer "diluted" with the regular gas.
I checked the E85 website and under their FAQ's it says any car 2001 or newer is ok to run on E85.
She's so freaked out that it potentially could really screw up the motor she won't make that mistake again.
Besides posting here for feedback, I also Googled the subject and saw the usual internet advice from "no problem" to "wreck the motor".
I feel a little better reading the responses here. Fingers crossed. Thanks

Posts: 231 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: November 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Do not tell the dealer if you still take it to one for service. Flex fuel in theory is not the worst idea ever, but Toyota thinks so. They have been fighting the E15 directives until they couldn't. I might run no alcohol gas for a few tanks if you can find it. The myriad of plastic parts in the fuel system will suffer.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to inadvertently do that. Pump asks if your vehicle is flex fuel.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Hard to inadvertently do that. Pump asks if your vehicle is flex fuel.

None of the pumps I used in Michigan when I had a truck that could run E85 asked. But it was a dedicated pump with stickers all over it so it seems pretty obvious.

Posts: 2197 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
it seems pretty obvious.

I took this photo a while back at a local gas station. Nobody seems to really know what is in it or in what percentages.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15725 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If I were the OP, out of an abundance of caution I would run the car down to a 1/4 tank then fill it with ethanol free gas (link to find ethanol free gas stations).

[url=http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/05/automaker-tests-show-damage-to-older-car-engines-from-running-on-e15-ethanol
/index.htm]Here is a study by the Auto Alliance, an auto industry lobbying group representing several major automakers, on E15 fuel some car engines from the 2001 to 2009 model years.[/url] To be fair, the test simulated 100,000 miles of useage which is far different than the OP's wife filling up twice with E85 in an '02.

I'm pretty picky about the fuel I put in my vehicles and ONLY put Top Tier gasoline in my vehicles and small engines. Here is an article about a AAA study on Top Tier gasoline vs regular gasoline.

On a side note, congratulations to the OP on finding the needle in a hay stack (i.e. a woman who fills up a car instead of $10 or $20 at a time).

Excellent information Sir, I was a pup technician in the late 70s when GM started pumping out bulletins on MTBE and changing out carb accelerator plungers because of "high aromatic fuels". Was this the beginning...?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

One tank of the E85 - or even, apparently, two - isn't going to harm anything. Just don't make a habit of it.

Yes it can. A car from 2002 it will eat up fuel lines and seals and stuff like that in the fuel system that were never ever made for 85% alcohol(ethanol)......

OP- try to water it down with 93 octane gasoline.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burn through the tanks fast and I don't think anything detrimental will happen. Top off with some mid grade or premium at 1/2 tank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can definitely cause damage. It can clog your stock injectors and will also corrode/weaken your rubber lines. Put as much gas as you can in it to dilute.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7079 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be on the safe side I think I'll siphon out as much as possible and fill up with premium gas and hope for the best.
She clearly saw the E85 label but since there weren't any warnings, etc. she never thought it could be harmful. Not sure many people do know...I didn't...I just had heard it can negatively affect gas mileage so I didn't bother. I have a new vehicle that is E85 capable.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator73:
To be on the safe side I think I'll siphon out as much as possible and fill up with premium gas and hope for the best.
She clearly saw the E85 label but since there weren't any warnings, etc. she never thought it could be harmful. Not sure many people do know...I didn't...I just had heard it can negatively affect gas mileage so I didn't bother. I have a new vehicle that is E85 capable.

Syphon it out and pour it into your new vehicle.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post