SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hook and eye latch question/poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hook and eye latch question/poll Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
One of these to 'secure' a sliding door between a bedroom and bathroom:

Question:

Hook on the:

1. Frame

2. Door

I lean towards 1. but what say you all?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Hook on the door. It moves, one handed operation.

Otherwise you are holding the hook left hand closing door with right.
Or closing the door then latching.

I don’t know if there is an official way but damn, whatever makes sense to you lol.

It’s your house yeah?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I almost always see the hook on the moving part and the eye on the fixed part, dunno why. Since the screw threads are the same on the different parts, shouldn't be too tough to swap them if the initial install isn't working.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Hook on the door.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking flush mount magnets if it is to be simple hold in place.

If it is to prevent a small human from opening the door, then as Otto said, put it on how it "feels" right to you.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I like magnets best also, but if you want a hook and eye latch, put the hook on the door.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Hook on the door it is!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Hook on the frame for me. It swinging back and forth with the door opening/closing would get annoying.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Velcro for the win

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Hook on the frame for me. It swinging back and forth with the door opening/closing would get annoying.

Frame would've been my vote too.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post