SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me find a mover
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me find a mover Login/Join 
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted
Without going into all the details, I am looking for someone to move a fairly large amount of stuff from Hollywood FL to Maryland. This includes mostly tools and a large number of car parts, not so much household goods. I know it will be expensive to do, but I have no real idea as to where to look for somebody to do it. I don't know that it would be something a moving company would be interested in and I'm not sure where to find a freight company that would load do it without it being palletized and on a loading dock. I'm going to fly down there and rent a truck to bring some of it back, but I would like to find someone that could just take care of it all.
I know in threads like this the general consensus is to just sell everything and star over but my son feels most of this stuff is irreplaceable, so that really isn't an option.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
At one point ABF would allow partial trailer loads. They dropped off a trailer at your site. If a load had been picked up prior there was a "wall" put in place to separate yours for m theirs. You loaded, another "wall" added. You paid for weight and cubic feet space used. I don't know how the unloading process worked.

Another option would be PODs but realize they are not weatherproof/water tight so contents could get wet if weather is encountered.

Both of these are self load options.

If you want someone to load, you'll need to have them come me to site to review load and present a quote. Realize anything loaded can and likely will be rotated through 360 degrees. In other words, that tool box with tools in the drawers could be ripped on the side or even upside down so the contents at the other end will be shaken and stirred.

I share this based on past experiences. Best of luck to you.

edited to correct information about ABF

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I looked into both Pods and ABF. ABF would be a good option except for the fact that the house where the stuff is located doesn't really have enough driveway to accommodate a 28' trailer and the 14' loading ramp. I think it would take about three pods to move everything. I actually went so far as to reserve a couple of pods but didn't when I found out I had to get a permit from the city to place them. The house isn't mine, it belongs to my ex wife and I doubt she is interested in applying for the permit.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I believe ABF drops the trailer on the street in front of the location.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here is one option:

U-Haul has a loading-unloading service available in most areas.

Rent the truck, they load it. You drive it, they unload it.

LINK

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post