SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you care about accolades?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you care about accolades? Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The opinions that those I work & serve with have of my performance are more important than any accolades.

Reputation over Accolade

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VVV he said it better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Don't want or need them.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
A simple, direct recognition of the extra effort from the boss was greatly appreciated, probably more than the bonuses. These days I am self-employed, the cash bonuses are out. I’ll still take the attaboys. Smile

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Unless it involves 1)money 2)pussy 3)food 4)booze, then I don't really give a shit. My dog however is quite partial to accolades, so I voted 'I love them' for her. Her computer skills are limited.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Less is bettter in my experience. More attention equals more scrutiny. More scrutiny opens the door for foul play. Follow the rules, do a good job, don't ask too many questions, keep your skills up, don't piss off your boss, his boss, or anyone your boss works with or for, and for god's sake keep your mouth shut. This is what I've learned after lots of attaboys, employee of whatever clubs, special parking close to the building, gift cards, and occasional feats of technical accomplishment over 33 years. Pretty simple and it seems to be working. But I still love my field, I'm sure that has something to do with it. So I prefer to not deal with accolades. After so many years of quality work and solving other peoples problems, everyone you work with or have worked with in the past in your industry already knows you and what you can do, so no accolades are needed or desired. In most cases these are more or less political plays or empty words with no real benefits. Employee of the year then three months later you're laid off. It's mostly bullshit on most levels but especially in the professions. I guess you could make exceptions for pulitzer prizes and stuff, but I think shithead barry got one of those too and it was total bullshit. But if you're a politician you must rely ONLY on accolades because if you were capable of producing anything helpful you wouldn't be in government to begin with. So I'm voting no on this one.

If I were forced to make a hard choice though I'm going with Jim's answer above, he seems to make a lot of sense here. Those are all tangible and helpful benefits. I could use a few of those myself.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
When I do an exceptional job of something, and it’s of rare form for me, I appreciate recognition done in private. I don’t like recognition when done publicly in big team meetings or some announcement.

More than accolades, I prefer recognition of a job well done through actions. Like more empowerment, or access to more information, or more requests to provide inputs to influence decisions, etc. Basically, signs that suggest that I’m trusted and valued more.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Frankly I'm too old to give a shit about 'atta boys', praise from the boss and token achievement awards. But in my old profession I did like how the size of my year-end bonus became the measure of an 'accolade'.

Yeah, I sometimes do miss those days...but only sometimes. Nowadays the younglings that comprise my old field are all libtard lice.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not about me , no

but when I see teachers, soldiers, fire and pd people being acknowledged or celebrated,
I get all kinds of teary.

the other day a single parent of four
got some press because he works two jobs, his kids ( all under 11 y.o. ) get great grades in school,
and he buried his wife , because of cancer .

got a new ( used) car from some group of people.

as a gift

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Considering the daily stress and abuse that I tolerate from my client on behalf of the company, it would be damn nice if they would show some appreciation.

Not even once to date other than "Keep doing what you're doing"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last place I worked full time gave out awards based on favoritism. Pure and simple, the runner up from the store I worked at had an "in" with the dealer, his personal trainer that they created a job for him there. Grand prize winner of a cruise was the General Manager of the most prominent store in the group.

Part that cracked me up is that the normal (a.k.a. grunts) actually thought that they had a chance to win it.

And they wondered why people were cynical there.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I apologize to those who felt I didn't give them an option. However, this has been interesting to read, and it's gone about how I expected it to go.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
not about me , no

but when I see teachers, soldiers, fire and pd people being acknowledged or celebrated,
I get all kinds of teary.

the other day a single parent of four
got some press because he works two jobs, his kids ( all under 11 y.o. ) get great grades in school,
and he buried his wife , because of cancer .

got a new ( used) car from some group of people.

as a gift

Well said and I am the same.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voted "who cares?"

I have a box of job related stuff. Doesn't matter to me. Happy where I am and doing what I'm doing.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really. Just show me the money.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post