SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like cilantro ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like cilantro ? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Love it!

I am amazed how many of Sigforum have the soap gene for cilantro.

Glad it skipped me, but then I am Hispanic, so many that had something to do with it.

HK Ag

No kidding.
I guess you have to be from Texas to appreciate it.
Tex Mex without Cilantro is just Taco Bell.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I love cilantro. The more the better. And I'm not even remotely Hispanic. I don't see the soap connection at all.

We have a taco truck locally that makes the best tacos I've ever eaten. It's run by a Mexican family...dad, mom, and two teenage kids. Grilled steak, onions, cilantro and a slice of lime. Absolutely awesome!

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Costa Vida cilantro lime rice is the best.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
I wonder rather than being a "genetic" condition, it is rather a situation that people have not had any great tasting food with fresh cilantro in it. Like, if people have never had good North Indian food. Usually cilantro by itself is a rather tasteless herb, and if they have tried cilantro in standard American meals, especially those cooked by people who just can cook worth a damn, it is no wonder that they grow up hating cilantro.

It's a proven genetic thing. Something like 10% of the overall population has it. I've heard it described as tasting like not rinsing the dishes after they were washed.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soap taste to me too! No thanks!

War Eagle!

Posts: 129 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
First and last time I tasted it I thought it came off of a lawnmower deck.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I can put up with just a hint of it, but no more!

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I love cilantro. My favorite local Mexican restaurant uses it sparingly, but effectively. I had discovered their chili verde and that has a strong cilantro presence that I am addicted to.

On a side note, I totally get what people say about it tasting like soap. That is exactly how I feel parsley tastes in large quantities.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Carnitas Tacos without Cilantro (and Onions) is just Pulled Pork on a Tortilla.

Ya need it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I like Cilantro, so I guess I'm going to start eating soap?

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no issue with it. If it's supposed to go on the dish, let me have it.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does nothing for me so I'd prefer not to have it included in dishes.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Hate it.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand how it could taste like soap, that's so wierd. Oh well, I love it. Mexican food just wouldn't be right without it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Sorry to beat this dead horse guys, but the people who say it tastes like soap don't want it to taste that way or have not had "good" food.

It is a genetic thing - some people's tastes buds sense cilantro the same as soap and they don't want to eat it.

If you enjoy it, like I do, good for you. If it tastes like soap that is never going to change and you will never like it.

Lots of people here saying they hate it, which makes me think the 10% number might be too low.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
Hate it... Tastes like the food has had Dawn dishsoap added to it.

Glad to know I'm not alone. No one else I know, has tasted it the way I do.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's interesting how many people know what soap tastes like. Confused

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I like Cilantro, so I guess I'm going to start eating soap?

Told wifey about this thread, then started making dinner. Asked if it smelled good. She said it smelled like soap. Forgot I mentioned the thread, was like really? What? Then it hit me, SF thread? Yeah, just fucking with you. Whew.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I made a big batch of fresh salsa today with lots of garlic and cilantro. Then made cilantro lime chicken tacos with fresh salsa for dinner. I LOVE cilantro and could eat it by itself.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
True -- a little goes a long way.

Then I'm in for a long ride, because I love cilantro!

I'll pick off leaves and put them all over tacos.

Must be the Norwegian in me Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post