SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like cilantro ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like cilantro ? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I clearly remember the first time I had it in restaurant salsa, I thought who in fuck put oil drained from transformer in the food. It instantly takes food from tasty to shitty.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder rather than being a "genetic" condition, it is rather a situation that people have not had any great tasting food with fresh cilantro in it. Like, if people have never had good North Indian food. Usually cilantro by itself is a rather tasteless herb, and if they have tried cilantro in standard American meals, especially those cooked by people who just can cook worth a damn, it is no wonder that they grow up hating cilantro.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“The main sign of a supertaster is an dislike of certain foods. Cilantro, famously, is a turn off for supertasters.”

www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmo...u-one-of-5671331/amp

Supertasters usually dislike brussels sprouts too.
I'm not a supertaster, but I am not fond of either of the above. I also dislike all forms of spoiled milk (sour cream, cheese, yogurt, etc.).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“The main sign of a supertaster is an dislike of certain foods. Cilantro, famously, is a turn off for supertasters.”

www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmo...u-one-of-5671331/amp

Supertasters usually dislike brussels sprouts too.
I'm not a supertaster, but I am not fond of either of the above. I also dislike all forms of spoiled milk (sour cream, cheese, yogurt, etc.).

flashguy

Well, flashguy, most, or all, of those things are typically disliked by supertasters. I think that you may indeed be a supertaster. Smile

“Originally posted by Dakor:
DuPont originally discovered Supertasters eighty some years ago as a result of phenylthiocarbamide detection by a cell receptor on tastebuds. Later, propylthiouracil detection (bitterness perception) became the standard for the term and there's a bell shaped curve 25/50/25 as far as the population is concerned for non-tasters, tasters and super tasters, respectively, all tied to genetic expression of the specific receptor.”

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...380076064#1380076064

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
On some things it's perfect (carnitas).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
At one point I really didn’t care for it. I’ve come to like it well enough but could easily get by without.

I do better with it in fresh salsas in combination with lime flavors.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Tastes like SOAP! I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks so.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
True -- a little goes a long way.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I have read that how it tastes to different people is a genetic thing. I wonder if that prevalence varies somewhat with ethnicity which is why it’s more popular with people of Hispanic heritage.

Reminds me of this: I took a couple of my detectives to a restaurant where you prepare your own food and they cook it up for you. I put some cilantro in mine and one of the guys asks "What's that?" I reply "Cilantro." The other asks "What is that?" I reply "Puerto Rican ketchup."

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Soap. People put in everything.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I don’t mind the taste.

My biggest issue with cilantro is that I struggle to grow it. Every time I’ve tried it grows ok for a few weeks then bolts and goes to seed.

You are not doing anything wrong, that is just how it grows, you need to replace the plant every three weeks or so. Trimming it back works to some degree, but usually it will start to go to seed in 3-4 weeks

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Cilantro gives me major burps. And I do not care for the taste.
Also I get real long teeth or gags on brussel sprouts, cooked cabbage, raw onions, cauliflower, peas, and more....
succotash....yuk

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I don’t mind the taste.

My biggest issue with cilantro is that I struggle to grow it. Every time I’ve tried it grows ok for a few weeks then bolts and goes to seed.

Stickman, I grow it in spring and fall and this year I'm attempting to grow it indoors in a small hydro system.

Easy fix. Just cut off the tops before it blooms. It will spread out and keep producing larger leaves. Should stop it from bolting.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in 12 % of my food, yes, in minimal amounts

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54643 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Confused I'm pretty o-fay, and it tastes like something between lettuce and beets to me.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Hate it, every time I taste it this is what I think of,

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Love it!

I am amazed how many of Sigforum have the soap gene for cilantro.

Glad it skipped me, but then I am Hispanic, so many that had something to do with it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
To quote the Simpsons: "it's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years I could not stand the stuff. Then I fell in love with Munedo and one "must" add cilantro, onion, and lime juice to Menudo for the correct flavor. I have acquired a taste for it now, and purchase it fresh for Menudo, salads, etc. I am going to try to grow some this year.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Soap? Confused

I don't really enjoy it but if it's not in salsa I know something is missing.

Says the guy who HATES eggs Big Grin Razz

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post