SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Life's simple pleasures...my firewood addiction.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life's simple pleasures...my firewood addiction. Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
When we heated with firewood I thoroughly enjoyed splitting it. Most of the time I had to clear snow in a circle around my splitting stump, which sat out in front of the woodshed. A nice, sunny 20* day and I would often enjoy a cigar as I’m working away. Buck up the 4’ long logs into 16” blocks. Split. Fill up wheelbarrow loads of split wood and haul it into the garage. I had a cradle to stack the split wood and a pass through from the garage, directly into the wood box inside the house. The other parts of wood heating, frankly, I could do without.

Woodshed, splitting stump and buck on the right side of the picture. Some snow shoveling to do before splitting.

My wife's Jeep. Serious snow, good place for a Jeep when you drive 30 miles to work and have to be there at 4:30 a.m.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Posts: 13556 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Nice place you have there!!

I grew up in Idaho, experienced the "thrill" of heating with wood for a while before I went in the army.

We did it a little differently, tho.

We picked up logs, real logs, from the river banks where they came to rest after escaping from the HUUUUGE log pond of the lumber mill in town.

One of my uncles had fabricated a chainsaw that had a 4 foot bar on it. Dad and I used it to reduce the logs into 16-18 inch chunks ready for splitting. Note, I said we got them ready for splitting.

I did the splitting with an eight pound "splitting hammer. And for a couple of years the only heat we had in the house was from a wood burner arrangement. So I got a fair amount of "exercise" out of it.

Oh, and those 8 foot logs we brought home, Dad and I reduced them to 16 inch lengths with a 6 foot cross cut saw. Some fond memories, some not so fond.

I gave up on the crosscut saw idea when we got this place. Bought a chain saw. Still split by hand for a few years. Got too old, tired and got a power splitter.

Anybody yearn for the "good old days?"

I do, sometimes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
If a tree falls in the forest, it must be harvested for firewood! That was the family motto growing up. Kevin and I did lots - LOTS - of cutting, splitting, hauling, and stacking firewood. We used the fireplace quite regularly as supplemental heat for the house. Our family property has an abundance of oak, with much of it being big red oaks. Mother nature usually kept up a steady supply of downed oaks and other hardwoods to keep us in firewood. We did plenty of handsplitting, and we used a disaster-waiting-to-happen of a homemade log-splitter that hooked up to the drive of an old Ford farm tractor.

I always liked using the chainsaws the best. Nowdays, even though I only have a small fire pit at my house, we still go over to Dad's place a few times a year to process whatever has come down or needed to be taken down, and Dad still burns a bunch of firewood. Now, we've got some better toys, though, namely bigger saws and a 27-ton hydraulic splitter.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I can't bring myself to burn oak, hickory maple or any of the good hardwoods unless it's being used for cooking. For recreational sitting around drinking beer fires it's slab wood pine or dead fall birch and popple hauled out of the woods.

Not sure what difference it matters? I burn oak, cherry, maple, hickory, beech, locust, and birch, outside in the Summer and inside all Winter. It's not like I cut down live, healthy, trees. I'm just cleaning up fallen and dead, standing trees.
Which reminds me I need to go out now and reload the porch!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I have to laugh! This thread could be about me! My better half calls me a wood whore! We burn 6-7 cords of black Ash a year. Usually March or so, I have a logging company drop off 6-7 cords. Its my therapy too. I do have some acreage that I scrounge also.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2543 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats a relaxing fire in the living room. Especially if you are burning apple or cherry.
The heart/sap wood from cherry has a honey scent to it.
Good times.

Posts: 359 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I converted our fireplace to natural gas with fake firewood. It has a remote to control it.

No more hauling ash and chimney sweeps. We love it.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Also let me add this little tidbit of info, "The old adage is that wood warms you three times - when you cut it, when you split it, and when you burn it".

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Les Stibly is the son of a very successful farmer,

He's 46 now and has never been employed by anyone, formally.
rumor has it he's never filled out a tax form.

He started cutting wood , in high school, he moved in to a house that his parents owned,

Married a gal from three town's over a has cut would ever since.
He paid for two splitters , 6 chain saws and two tilt bed cargo trailers and a 1 ton truck, cash .

Seems to be the most content person in the county, never a worry , not a drinker or smoker or druggie.

his side job is small motor repair. he's afraid of heights so he won't even consider a bucket truck.

He goes fishing 6 or 8 times a year , in the summer but thats about as recreational as he gets.

even tempered , good husband and generous when it comes to charity .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55165 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Also let me add this little tidbit of info, "The old adage is that wood warms you three times - when you cut it, when you split it, and when you burn it".

Heard the adage. My experience is that “three” is too low and it’s at least twice that. I could spell it out for ya, if ya like Big Grin

Posts: 13556 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
About 80% of our heating needs is done in wood. We have a tree guy that will deliver cut to length mixed hardwoods for $550. As full time wood turners this turned out to be a bonus, we made vases and cremation urns out of the the Cherry, Holly and Ambrosia Maple that were mixed in this load, it actually paid for the load. Looks like 6-8 cords, we love getting out and splitting wood, stacking and then burn it for heat.

Posts: 3864 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post