SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Life's simple pleasures...my firewood addiction.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life's simple pleasures...my firewood addiction. Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
I take great pleasure in cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking and storing fire wood. And then enjoying the fires with it. I find it therapeutic. Cold morning here - about 14 deg. F. I have a great stockpile of seasoned hardwood, which I have all mixed together, and today I am burning mostly hickory. Happy Saturday to all!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8653 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I always got a little pleasure out of it too. However it never lasted past one cord. It’s one of those things that give you instant pleasure. Like painting a room or mowing the lawn. Not many things give instant pleasure. Most times we don’t see the end results.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Throw some meat over a fire and you got my attention.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21103 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
When I used to live in northern Michigan I heated with wood full time with a wood burning furnace in the basement with a blower tied into the heat ducts of my gas furnace. It worked exceptionally well with it's own thermostat. In later years I just used a cast iron stove in my living room, it too worked well at providing good dry heat. Nothing feels better than warming up to a nice wood fire in the harsh winter months.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I completely agree. I regard quality hardwood firewood as a nearly holy thing.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8871 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I enjoy it- it's good thinking time while you work.

Wednesday I dropped a good sized Ash, cut it up, split, and stacked it. About 1/2 a cord.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15788 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree

After a long cold day at work, hanging out around the wood burner with the dogs close by is pretty relaxing.

RC

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My wife and I would fall, cut and split our firewood for years in our younger years. We'd go up to the deep woods in Northeast Wa. with our travel trailer and pickup with racks and spend weekends till we got 3-4 cords for winter. It was hard but rewarding work and we enjoyed it. We're in our 70's now so we have to buy it every year now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished a start on next year's wood. New 25ton splitter picked up today, wife said Merry Christmas!
Do not have an addiction to cutting and splitting, but do have an addiction to warmth!
Wood is our primary heat, electric is secondary. Primary wood here in the Hills is ponderosa pine, some cottonwood, considered hardwood Roll Eyes , but sure produces a lot of ash for the warmth it gives. Previously before the move here, primary wood was oak, ash, and black locust, with hickory available. Quite a difference from ponderosa pine and cottonwood, but one uses what is available.

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Can you deliver a cord of oak to northern AZ? Every one of our regular sources is out.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too used to love what you described related to the wood prep-work.... Now I use a wood pellet heater in the shop but I have a brand new $1000 wood burner still strapped to the factory pallet that I picked up last year at my local Lowes on a 75% off sale...Yup - $249....Going to go into my next shop and because I am older now my plan is to buy the cut offs from the local hardwood pallet company.....No cutting just grab some blocks and go...A 10 yard dump truck costs $125 delivered and dumped on your property....Nothing more relaxing than a beautiful fire in a fire box...Mark

Posts: 3327 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Can you deliver a cord of oak to northern AZ? Every one of our regular sources is out.

Luckily that shit grows on trees around here.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21103 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Count me in, basking in the condensed sunshine of PNW old growth fir, or various hardwoods.

After nearly 50 years hand splitting for a couple seasons ahead, I bought an electric splitting machine last spring. Fabulous. This is the inertial flywheel type, 1.5 second ram time. No noise, no waiting. Just fine heat. And no shoulder twinges this year.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9872 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have been burning wood since 1986. bought one load of wood, still in "log form". As I recall, that is the only time we bought any.

Met a guy at the landfill who was offloading nice chunks of wood cut to length but unsplit.

The land fill was charging him by the pound to let him dump it, I suggested that he follow me home and off load it there. He did. Brought a few more loads over a few weeks.

Since then we have burned wood from our 4.3 acres of "old growth" trees. Only cutting up that which needed it.

I split it by hand for a couple years and got tired of fighting knotty oak and bought a 26 ton splitter.

Come spring I will have to take down 3 dead-standing trees and split them up.

We have a 53 acre timbered plot down by South Boston, mostly old growth and hardwood. May have to resort to hauling firewood from there. Long drive, But with my truck and a nice trailer I can haul a couple cords each trip.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
There's a place down on US 42 that makes a living selling cut and split wood. He's not cheap, but often has black walnut mixed in. I separate it out and stack it in a different pile. It smells great, kind of like black cherry. I'm out of it now, but guess I need another load. Wish I was rich like you guys and had a big $ splitter. I've got a bunch of cherry rounds that need splitting. My Harbor freight electric won't split anything much. Guess I need to set it out at the curb. Older son says he wants it, but won't haul it away.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It is a lot of work.

I don't burn wood, but I have been cutting up oak trees that fell during last years heavy rains and wind, and previous years.

People in this area are so lazy, they won't even take free cut up wood. I am not about to load it for them especially after cutting it up. Years ago, people were stealing wood. Nowadays, it's hard finding some one in my area that burns wood.

I agree, wood heat is a heat unlike any other, I guess it evokes mankind's primal senses.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m a firewood addict too. I like the house at 77.

Even though I’m not in the northern bush, I seem to sniff out plenty of firewood. I plan to cut today or tomorrow. A local contact has a large oak down.

I’m about two years out with my woodpile. Years ago the power company came to check my meter, wasn’t buying enough natural gas.

I did treat myself to my own log splitter a handful of years back. I had borrowed a buddies or split a lot by hand. This way I can now take my time.

I have my hierarchy of wood but will take most. Hickory is at the top, I haven’t used Willow in decades.

Posts: 6382 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We also love our fireplace. Every spring I cut up about two cords of wood. As I get older, the job does get a little tougher. Smile A few years back I got a 25 ton log splitter and that made a huge difference, but there is still a good deal of work.

One of these years I just won't be able to get that job done but I don't worry about it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Good friend is the same way.. his wife refers to him as the wood nazi....

I grew up with an open fireplace and still like a fire.... nothing like it... woodstoves and heating with wood becomes work for sure.... is a bit different than an open fire but still has its place.

I can say all this because I've spent the last 37 years in fireplaces and messing with wood stoves.

I'm a certified chimney sweep:
Chimney Safety Institute Of America #599
Doctor of Chimney Science S.C.C.S.G.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I can't bring myself to burn oak, hickory maple or any of the good hardwoods unless it's being used for cooking. For recreational sitting around drinking beer fires it's slab wood pine or dead fall birch and popple hauled out of the woods.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8615 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post