SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice and a prayer for Black my kitty buddy. **Update** - Appears to be on the mend.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice and a prayer for Black my kitty buddy. **Update** - Appears to be on the mend. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
My little buddy got two emergency trips to the vet yesterday. It started a week or so ago. I noticed him only once or twice licking himself down there. He looked different, like uncomfortable, I chalked it up to him just being a weirdo. Then on Sunday he peed in the house four times. He had never once done this. They were irregular pouudles and most very small. The look of discomfort I saw and licking a week prior was back and we were scared.

He went to vet Monday morning. Had urine analysis, fluids pumped in him, antibiotic shot, something else, and was given a muscle relaxer, and anti-inflammatory pills for us to take home. I met girlfriend and Black at the vet for part of the visit as I was working in the area. He looked extremely uncomfortable. He was diagnosed with crystals in his urine and we were told to watch for blockage as this is very serious to cats and the surgery is thousands of dollars to clear his bladder. New special diet.

Stopped home for lunch and to check on him. He had peed twice but small. Gave him some loving and went on my way.

Come home from work and he looked in pain and bloated. At first I hoped it was the fluids they gave him. It pretty soon became clear it was not. He couldn't jump in my lap and fell a couple times trying. He tried unsuccessfully to pee two or three times. Then started walking around the house looking like he was trying to pee and licking a lot. I called up vet, she had me come moments before closing. Yep his wee wee was blocked. She drugged him and was able to pull a chunk of crystals from the tip of it and got some pee out. He was one stoned kitty when I got him home. Peed twice last night and looks happier this morning. I'm really worried about him. He's my buddy and I'd hate for anything to happen to him.

Prayers and advice from any that have gone through this please.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
No advice, I hope the diet helps. Did they take an x-ray of his urinary tract and kidneys?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Male cats are subject to forming crystals in their urinary tracts, causing blockage. IIRC, low-potassium diet food is recommended to help avoid it? They also must regularly get plenty of water.

Female cats are subject to urinary infection picked up from the litter box, it turns out. Never knew that until our female cat had it happen. Same symptoms as you describe, Skins. Vet put her on antibiotics and it cleared up for her.

Got my fingers crossed for your buddy. Sounds like it might be moving in the right direction. Let's hope so!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Poor little feller. Prayers up.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My boy Saber suddenly developed the same problem one day. As luck would have it my wife was home and noticed him acting strange. Quick vet trip, new urinary health food and he's back to just being a weird little shit.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No advice but prayers away.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16905 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the diet helps. He did pee twice this morning, so it's flowing at least. Dr said his pee looked like a snow globe when shaken, that didn't sound good. Still licking, Dr also said he bruised it from licking.

Hopefully slabsides or Jeff Y sees this. Worried about the diet, top ingredient is corn and corn meal. They've been grain free their whole lives. They don't eat corn on the cob in the wild.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Our black cat didn't drink much water from the bowl so we got a fountain thing, he drinks a ton now, may be a good idea.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for complete recovery.

Posts: 2353 | Location: Vancouver WA | Registered: September 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Hope your little guy ends up being okay. As someone who has had multiple pets pretty much all of my life, I know how hard it is to watch them go through stuff like this. Best of luck.

Posts: 3535 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Our black cat didn't drink much water from the bowl so we got a fountain thing, he drinks a ton now, may be a good idea.

I think there is something to this. IMO animals like moving water. Out in the wild you want to drink from a flowing creek, stream or river, not a pool of stagnant water with shit growing in it.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Does your home water source have a high mineral content?

Posts: 9256 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Jesse, give me a call. I can keep an eye on him during the day.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Prayer that he continues to get better.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to Dr. Karen Becker, cats that are fed dry food do not get enough water in their diet so canned food should be used.

Posts: 11893 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Jesse, prayers lifted up for Black
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

I think there is something to this. IMO animals like moving water. Out in the wild you want to drink from a flowing creek, stream or river, not a pool of stagnant water with shit growing in it.
My Splash had really thick pee (had to put in a special box with special litter to collect it for the vet) and she told me to buy a pet fountain because she wasn't drinking enough water. She has normal urine ever since, and it's obvious in the litter that she is peeing more often.

I ended up buying a fountain for each level of the house since my cameras told me that she went upstairs when I left for work and rarely came downstairs until I returned home. I keep one fountain in MBR bath and another in the kitchen, and she uses the MBR one 2:1 to the kitchen one.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23660 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
We had the same thing happen to Hunter, we have since changed his diet to the Urinary formula from the vet and all is well.

This is what he has been eating for a few years now, and has been problem free.

https://www.chewy.com/hills-pr...d-multicare/dp/54783

Hopefully that is all buddy will need, and more water of course.

Good luck Buddy.

Archerman

Posts: 2500 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I've gone through this twice with binx, most recently a month ago. They hospitalized him both times and gave him a catheter. We switched him to a prescription urinary tract food. Our vet said if we can feed him strictly wet food it's better for him because it has more fluids in it. We also got them a water fountain to promote drinking more water.

The first time it happened was maybe two years ago, they said they can do a surgery where they reshape his urethra to be like a female cats. I opted not to do it both times. The key is to get him drinking as much water as possible, whether it be with a fountain, wet food with some water mixed in, etc.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Here is to hoping the new diet, antibiotics, etc. are all he needs - prayers said and sent.

Posts: 3816 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post