SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice and a prayer for Black my kitty buddy. **Update** - Appears to be on the mend.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice and a prayer for Black my kitty buddy. **Update** - Appears to be on the mend. Login/Join 
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
Skins i am sorry to hear that black is having this problem. I hope it works itself out! Good luck to you both !

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
Our black cat didn't drink much water from the bowl so we got a fountain thing, he drinks a ton now, may be a good idea.

I think there is something to this. IMO animals like moving water. Out in the wild you want to drink from a flowing creek, stream or river, not a pool of stagnant water with shit growing in it.

Yes, some cats won't drink at all from still water. We bought a ceramic fountain thing (some cats are allergic to some types of plastic). One of the three cats didn't like that, so we have both that and a plain bowl.

Cats... *sigh*...

quote:
Originally posted by 41:
According to Dr. Karen Becker, cats that are fed dry food do not get enough water in their diet so canned food should be used.

Problem with that is wet food can promote tarter build-up, leading to gum disease and stomatitus.

Cats... *sigh*...

Hope Black is doing well, Skins.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
We fill the dry bowl in the morning and before bed and feed them wet for dinner.

Midnight likes to put some dry food next to the fountain and wet it with his paws.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
They are Struvite (sp) crystals. Are those the same thing? He's on the c/d stuff now, both wet and dry. He had been on Core Welness Original prior to that along with Rachel Ray's Tuna.

yep - struvite is the same as MAP, or magnesium ammonium phosphates crystals/ stones. Feel free to do your research but also listen to you vet, assuming you trust them. Feel free to contact me off the site if you need to discuss any of this

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just An Old Guy
posted Hide Post
Prayers for Black.

What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Posts: 1975 | Location: VA | Registered: November 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for your fluffy family member.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I tried a fountain some years back, but my 6 cats didn't much care for it. Now I just have a stainless steel bowl above the sink with the faucet dripping into it about once a second; the overflow drips into a second stainless bowl in the sink. The cats seem to like that arrangement. It wastes a little water, but I don't use much myself.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We have been checking on him and leaving him alone no longer than 5-6 hours over the last 48. After the second vet trip and roto-rooter service plus the medicine and prescription food he appears to be on the mend.

I have been checking the litter box and cleaning 4 times a day. He's peeing but at half the volume and slightly more frequently. He's seemed in good spirits and has been playing with us and the other cat (Gray). I am hopeful, even confident that over the coming couple weeks he will pass the crystals and resume normal operations.

He did ask me to thank you guys for all the good thoughts. Any additional information/experiences would still be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Outstanding...I love good news concerning my forum friends and their fur partners...this is good Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am glad he will make it.
I once unknowingly lost one from this.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Awesome news.

The offer of medical minding stands.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear he's on the mend - our boy in 2015 had this same issue - so bad and so recurrent that we had reached a point where PU surgery was the only viable long term solution assuming he survived past surgery and recovery (he had other complications) - hoping you don't have to go there - its costly and risky all around - in our case it worked out and he does not dribble which is typically a side effect - it helps we have an amazing vet

He is on CD diet - wet and dry - we mix a bit of water in his food in an effort to keep him hydrated and found that has really helped him out

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Black seems to be doing just fine so far. The only thing that has changed with the new diet and meds (now off) is he pees lower volume then he did previously and slight more frequently. Sometimes he looks like he has a little discomfort (licking), but not very often.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear.
I am always saddened to learn of physical problems with a furry family member.
Fortunately my three kitties are doing well.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post