SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Satellite Internet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Satellite Internet Login/Join 
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted
At my new home (retirement) the only choice we have is satellite, I know it sucks but I do have two choices, either (no land lines) Hughes Net or Exede which is now Viasat2 which just launched a new satellite a few months ago, but its not working correctly. So does anyone have an opinion on either also will add Verizon hot spot is not a choice due to bad cell service. I'm back in NoVa for the weekend so now I will try to get caught up reading the forum.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
While no actual first hand use our technicians(Dish network) have been installing Hughes Gen 5 since it’s intro last year. Techs are getting training on the new ViaSat next week to begin installations the following week. Speeds are much better than days of old. The current Hughes will allow streaming in 480p but like a cell plan you have data caps. If it’s your only option either would be a solid choice. All depends on what is actually available in your area. Meaning As long as the spot beam for your area isn’t at capacity.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We've used Hughesnet for 13 years now and have no complaints.

Like you, satellite is our only option. I just called them a few weeks back asking about the Next Gen5 and spoke to a very nice lady who ended up upgrading us to their newest satellite for no charge. She said it was a "thank you" for our years as a customer. The new modem also has a router built in and it works great for our little network. My download speed is between 25 and 30 megs. Screaming fast from what we were used to.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Just dumped exceeded today. Signed up 3 months ago but it took us longer to move so it was only last weekend when we found out how terrible it is.

Signed up for the 30 Meg unlimited data plan. First night we were here noticed it was bad slow. Ran a test, .5 Meg down...

Called tech support. They said temporary internet congestion. I asked how often.. dude said everyday between 2 & 5. Told them that was an odd time for congestion. He then clarified 2pm to 5 am... Everyday.

Blew my top a bit at that. Went and got a 4g LTE modem from at&t and moved up to a blazing speed of 8meg. Called to cancelled exceed. She started a bunch of noise about cancellation fees etc. I had her right down 2 numbers. When she asked what they were I told her they were the case numbers from the FTC complaint I filed. The second number was the case number from the TN. Consumer fraud Dept of the State of TN

She went away and suddenly no termination fees...

Bunch of crooks

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Can you put up an antenna tower? I know someone in the middle of no where that did that to get 4g cellular internet.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I really feel bad for you guys in the sticks with no internet service to speak of.

As much as I like to rag on Comcast, they give me a consistent 100-150 Mbps service and it's nice.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go a different route. Buy a cellular booster, a directional one. Have it boost the signal in your house. The buy a weeboost that converts the cellular signal to wifi. Put in a sim card from your phone provider.

I am currently at about 35-38 megs down and 9 megs up using this during off peak and about 17-19 down 7-8 megs up during peak times.

The latency of sattelite sucks.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

Called tech support. They said temporary internet congestion. I asked how often.. dude said everyday between 2 & 5. Told them that was an odd time for congestion. He then clarified 2pm to 5 am... Everyday.

My SIL has HughesNet for her home business. She said she can tell when all the kids get home from school even without a clock.

Posts: 5763 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post