SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dash cam story, why we all need them.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash cam story, why we all need them. Login/Join 
posted
A friend was driving on a 35 mph country road, and came upon a utility company truck doing some maintenance. Their flagman motioned to stop, and she did and patiently waited. Soon a second vehicle came from behind and hit my friend. Her Volvo station wagon was totaled and she developed severe concussion symptoms.

Five months later, while waiting at a stop light, she was hit again in the rear. $9,000 of damage to her new car. Now her severe concussion symptoms turned into extreme problems. Three years later she still has big problems.

She was hit from behind, so the other's insurance will pay up, right? Easy case, no?

While she was waiting for the tow truck, the utility company vehicle took off. They had no warning signs and only a flagman at the truck itself, so they were at partially at fault.

Vehicle number 2 was driven by a teenager, who had a teenage friend for a passenger. Said passenger ran and hid when the tow truck showed up. The insurance company for car 2 does not want to pay, claiming that my friend was stopped in the middle of the road for no reason.

If my friend had a dual dash cam, it would have:
1. Proven that there was a utility vehicle in the roadway, and that it had not properly flagged the road.
2. Shown which utility company it was (they would then have to pay).
3. Shown that there was a passenger in vehicle #2, so that vehicle would have been more clearly at fault.

The insurance company just settled yesterday with my friend, but the settlement was probably half of what it would have been if she had video. After 3 years, my friend can still not work and has significant memory and other issues. So moral of the story, buy a dual dash cam before the accident.

I put in a Rexing Dual dashcam, that does not use batteries and has great video day or night.

https://www.amazon.com/Rexing-...id=1576283429&sr=8-5

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In one morning I was almost hit, head-on, three times by three distracted drivers. I was able to avoid the crashes only by God's grace.

I realized that if I'd been hit, and likely seriously injured or killed, there would have been claims that I was at fault and someone would have sued me or my estate leaving my wife to defend.

The next day I bought a dash cam and it is on all the time.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Do you have to run power to both units to keep the capacitor charged and does the kit come with the connectors for the power?

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freaky - I was just researching "Black boxes for cars" this morning. I like your setup, I may just have to acquire one. thanks for posting!

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Absolutely agree! Dash cams are an excellent idea these days.

FWIW, I went through three Rexing cams (they kept failing, but their CS is excellent) before switching to Street Guardian. Much better build quality and no reliability issues. Three times the price, but worth it, IMO.

YMMV, of course.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Never mind my post above. The company site has all my answers but as usual, you need to buy additional accessories to really make it functional for my needs. Will probably go ahead and order the kit as it looks good for the price.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been running one in my cars for almost 6 years now. I highly recommend them. It’s a shame cars don’t have them factory-equipped.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because of a post in this forum about a year ago about dash cams I jumped into the deep end and purchased the one being recommended by our forum friends....Installed it two days after it came in....Funny thing happened right after I installed this in my daily driver truck....My wife said ever since installing this dash cam I have become a better more defensive driver....Almost like I have someone in the front seat of my truck saying - “Slow down Mark - Be careful Mark - Don’t follow so close Mark”.....Just saying for me it has been a great investment...Mark

Posts: 3332 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Driving to S FL & then back to help the Son move. I have a dash cam, as does he.

I haven’t captured anything exciting yet, but I’m ready. I’m leaving in just a few days.

Posts: 6389 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
With all the talk of dash cameras here at SF, I recently repurposed an old iPhone 6 I had laying around and made my own. It works fine and makes use of an otherwise valueless piece of hardware thanks to Apple no longer updating the iOS for this model.
online image hosting

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
After getting rear ended and the fucker ran, I got a front & rear cam.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Driving to S FL & then back to help the Son move. I have a dash cam, as does he.

I haven’t captured anything exciting yet, but I’m ready. I’m leaving in just a few days.

I caught someone else accident last week. I gave it to the Sheriff's deputy. The deputy was able to see that one person entered the intersection on the yellow, while the other enter on the red. The red light runner turned left in front the yellow light guy and they collided bead on. Yellow light guy was booking it to make the light. Neither of them could see each other because there was a third car in the intersection waiting to make the left turn. Once that car cleared the intersection, pow.

The eyewitnesses thought both drivers ran the red, but the video showed clearly that wasn't the case.

A rear view camera is a must. Even then, I was side swiped at a light and the guy never pulled in front of me so neither I nor my camera could get his plate.

c1steve,

I'm sorry about your friend. Her story is an example of how so many people won't just do the right thing.

Posts: 11611 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I worked at the city bus garage one of my tasks at the end of the day was to download all the cameras. The feature that I liked about those cams was that they would record 13 seconds back from the time of a collision. That is probably a must, because things can happen so fast that you barely have time to react, let alone hand-activate a camera.
Do all dash cams have this feature?

I have been thinking about installing one of these for a long time. Especially good for old people, where an officer and the insurance would tend to believe a good actor over a good driver. If you get my drift.

Posts: 359 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were discussing how angry the drivers in our area were getting. Aggressive, inconsiderate, belligerent, and just plain stupid.

We decided that we should have dash cameras. I found a great deal on the Garmin DriveAssist 50 (three functions: GPS, dash camera, and display screen for the Garmin BC-30 back-up camera), so I ordered two of them, one each for my wife and for me.

It was less than two weeks later that Mercedes Girl ran a red light, slammed into the side of my truck, doing several thousand dollars damage, and then lied to the cop, telling him that I had run the red light.

The video clearly showed me proceeding through a green light with the GPS speed showing 23 mph in a 35 mph zone. The cop wrote her up.

I sent a copy of the video to Flo (Mercedes Girl was insured by Progressive) and they acknowledged 100% responsibility, no discussion, no hassle.

It took less than two weeks for the cameras to pay for themselves.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yes, no excuse not to have one in every vehicle, cheap insurance.

I bought them for all of our vehicles after I was sideswiped on an on ramp, they merged into me. They lied to the police saying I came across several lanes and hit them. Police man said it's a " he said, he said" case. No fault. They tried to make a claim on my insurance, insurance told them to pack sand, no fault on accident report. I didn't make a claim because I didn't want my rates to go up

Posts: 5536 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge: It’s a shame cars don’t have them factory-equipped.

I seriously don't understand why they don't. New vehicles have every other sort of expensive sensor you can imagine built in. Having a hard wired, robust dash cam doesn't seem like it would add much cost.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I know the answer, because dash cams are common enough where it's not an issue, but I'll ask for feedback:

How is your field of vision not compromised by having a cam mounted on your dash/windshield?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
I know the answer, because dash cams are common enough where it's not an issue, but I'll ask for feedback:

How is your field of vision not compromised by having a cam mounted on your dash/windshield?

Dash cams really aren’t that common yet. At least not in the US.

Mine are mounted slightly higher and to the right of the rear view mirror. They have never impeded my view.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. My family has been asking what I want for Xmas and I keep saying nothing. Okay, maybe a rear camera to go with the front view one I have.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge: It’s a shame cars don’t have them factory-equipped.

I seriously don't understand why they don't. New vehicles have every other sort of expensive sensor you can imagine built in. Having a hard wired, robust dash cam doesn't seem like it would add much cost.

Yeah makes no sense to me. I already have both front facing and rear facing cameras on my car why not hook them up to a $40 USB thumb drive?

The only reason I don't have one is they are ugly. I'd love an integrated one. China sells one on eBay that goes over my review mirror assembly (which houses my cars front facing camera) and adds a dashcam, specs aren't great, but no cords.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post