SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dash cam story, why we all need them.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash cam story, why we all need them. Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge: It’s a shame cars don’t have them factory-equipped.

I seriously don't understand why they don't. New vehicles have every other sort of expensive sensor you can imagine built in. Having a hard wired, robust dash cam doesn't seem like it would add much cost.

Pretty much everyone has a back up cam so mounting a small forward facing camera on the rear view mirror housing would be a snap. The trick would be easy to access memory storage. Tying it into the radio and using the USB port to download would solve any issues there. A second rear camera would be easy to integrate as well.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, no excuse not to have one in every vehicle, cheap insurance.

My friend's 2019 Corvette has is factory installed.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
Do you have to run power to both units to keep the capacitor charged and does the kit come with the connectors for the power?

You run power to the front unit only. Rear unit is just a camera, and video is recorded on the front device.

Rexing ships with a cig. lighter adapter. I paid extra for the hard wire kit, about $20 I believe.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Rexing is somewhat large, but it is hard to for the driver to see it. I have it mounted just forward of the rear view mirror.

Another dash cam story: I had not installed one in my Honda, and was waiting at a red light. The light changed, all three lanes of cars moved into the intersection, with me on the far right. Then, blamo!, a car came through the intersection from my right. She totaled my Honda, damaged a Prius, and the Prius spun around and hit a bus.

The driver told the police that the light was definitely yellow, and he was believing her. I told my part of the story, and he was not sure. However the city bus had a dual dash cam, which showed that the driver clearly ran a red light.

But she was such a good liar! Also she gave a false address, and it took months to find her. I am suing the driver in Small Claims in January.

As mentioned above, a good liar often beats a good driver.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the timely discussion. I’ve also been thinking about this lately. My Tacoma has a factory mount on the windshield for a GoPro. Turns out my co workers husband is a mid level executive there and can get me any GoPro model at cost. Does GoPro make a really good dash cam anybody can reccomend ? If not GoPro what’s a good alternative.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
With all the talk of dash cameras here at SF, I recently repurposed an old iPhone 6 I had laying around and made my own. It works fine and makes use of an otherwise valueless piece of hardware thanks to Apple no longer updating the iOS for this model.
online image hosting

This screams "break into my car". I'd get tired of taking this down every time I got out of the car.

I have a Street Guardian dash cam. It works very well and is fairly discrete.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
That Rexing unit is on Woot right now for $99.00.
Woot

Posts: 1654 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
With all the talk of dash cameras here at SF, I recently repurposed an old iPhone 6 I had laying around and made my own. It works fine and makes use of an otherwise valueless piece of hardware thanks to Apple no longer updating the iOS for this model.
online image hosting

This screams "break into my car". I'd get tired of taking this down every time I got out of the car.

I have a Street Guardian dash cam. It works very well and is fairly discrete.

No more than any other system you’d have on display; and the take-down and stuff into the center console takes all of 10 whole seconds. 10. Mount and all. Nothing is hard mounted, hard wired, or loomed into place.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
No more than any other system you’d have on display;

An iPhone on my dash in plain sight or:

I have a hard time believing that this would be as tempting to a meth head as an iPhone.

But hey, if you are willing to put it up every time you park, then it's a moot point.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
That Rexing unit is on Woot right now for $99.00.
Woot

It would appear the one on Woot is just for the front.The one in the original post is for the dual camera system. But if you go to Amazon https://tinyurl.com/RexingPro and use the coupon the pro version with GPS logging is 170.00. Other Rexing systems have coupons also.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
No more than any other system you’d have on display;

An iPhone on my dash in plain sight or:

I have a hard time believing that this would be as tempting to a meth head as an iPhone.

But hey, if you are willing to put it up every time you park, then it's a moot point.

Yup, and I bet that is more noticeable than an iPhone that is essentially invisible once it’s put away. I will surmise though that yours takes better video than my 1080 at 60 FPS.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve got Thinkware front and rear on both my cars. One has the Cellink Neo to record when power is off. I bought them from this place and have been pleased. I had a $200 Street Guardian that died a little over a year of using it. They offered 20% off a new one, I wasn’t impressed and stopped using theirs.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post