SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anchorage at midnight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anchorage at midnight Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So had some good weather tonight and decided to go up on the Anchorage Loop Trail at Glen Alps. The trail has some great views of the city. It was one of those, "Hey I'm bored, I'll do something stupid like drive up the mountain and take pictures of the sunset at midnight!"

I have no idea why I took this. I was using my DSLR on the tripod for the sunset pics. Then it was one of those, "Hey I'm bored, I'll do something stupid like take a picture of a camera with a camera." Didn't realize it until I got back to the townhouse and looked at it. It's actually kind of a cool shot being able to see the color of the sunset through the viewfinder.

No it wasn't cold enough to have to wear a hood and gloves tonight, it's called self protection from the winged spawn of satan, the state bird of Alaska otherwise known as the mosquito. You can probably even see one trying to take refuge in my stache'. Bastard! Where the hell did all these little bastards come from anyway? Why am I asking that, they probably came from hell, or Canada at least, maybe Wasilla. They weren't out in Girdwood last weekend. Tonight was like the scene of the Air Cav storming the beach from Apocolypse Now, Wagner playing in the background and everything; they're about the size of Hueys and there were even more of them swarming around. Only difference was I didn't have napalm to flame the little bastards with. Even covered up I still got bit by the little bastards. I even had one fly up my nose and bite me. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to have a mosquito bite inside your nostril? It's like a perpetual state of having to sneeze. Forget pissed off moose, forget hungry grizzlies and even methheads high on spice walking out into traffic in midtown, I think I'm more afraid now of mosquitoes than any other wildlife in Alaska.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Very cool dude. Thank you! When you have the full-res DSLR shot done, please do share.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Love the pics! Hate mosquitos! Enjoy!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great picture. Thanks!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Even with the mosquitos I'd like to try some cooler weather.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Now you know how the caribou feel, they have flies in their nostrils all the time.
Those loooong summer nights are sort of euphoric.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
great photo!!!

the sunrise, not the other one

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh pewp. You made me realize we're in the middle of flooding levels of rain. That means shortly the 74th Tiger Squadron will be mobilized. After hurricanes/flooding we get tiger striped mosquitos the size of wasps, from proboscis to poop hole they're almost an inch long.

well.. at least they won't be flying up anyone's nose, that'd be about as likely as a huey flying down the hall.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post