SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So my son joined the Army....(Update page 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my son joined the Army....(Update page 2) Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son! I'm sure he will proudly serve our country.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigP320Driver
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your son is awesome!

Maintain a sense of humor throughout RASP and RANGER school. As some have said, 99% of successfully completing is simply not quitting. I would also add to be coachable and listen to your RANGER student peers who can help you and you them - finding the humor in the big RANGER school "suck" also plays a huge part.

My RANGER buddy and I were designated our class's "Morale Officers" and we had to be ready on a moments notice to deliver what seemed like World Class humor at exceedingly high standards (what else...) if the Ranger Instructors (RIs) felt the class needed a "morale boost"! I do not know if this played a part in our selection - I was 6'6" tall and my RANGER buddy was closer to 5'1" tall (kidding, it definitely was as we stood out like sore thumbs...)!

We both graduated and had fine ARMY careers, my buddy was Honor Graduate and I earned the tab and we kept the RIs laughing as well as our peers - if your visible and stand out make the most of it, we said then and still say today...

He is still one of my best life long friends! When we get together the first thing we normally talk about is RANGER school and how it sucked, how it was damn good training, maybe the best out there..., how it was fun, how it taught us what we and just about every human could and can endure under extreme duress.

He will do fine! RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

Posts: 8 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
The day has come, and he arrived at Ft. Jackson, SC yesterday at 2am.

We were not allowed to the swearing in, but it was posted online. We were able to take him out for dinner Monday night, and then met up with him yesterday at the airport before his flight.

We got the 3 second phone call of him stating he had arrived and is safe. Should get a more detailed call next week once he is assigned to a battalion for mailing address and expected graduation date.

Our house feels different now. Confused

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Our son just graduated in Fort Benning. They had a Facebook page for his battalion that had pictures posted as they were training. We were not able to attend the ceremony due to the Rona but everyday protocols are changing, so you may be able to see your son's when he does graduate.

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
The day has come, and he arrived at Ft. Jackson, SC yesterday at 2am.

We were not allowed to the swearing in, but it was posted online. We were able to take him out for dinner Monday night, and then met up with him yesterday at the airport before his flight.

We got the 3 second phone call of him stating he had arrived and is safe. Should get a more detailed call next week once he is assigned to a battalion for mailing address and expected graduation date.

Our house feels different now. Confused

Ahh, reception, the absolute worst part of the experience, basic hasn’t actually started for him yet but it’s more or less the same thing. He will find that the Drill Sergeants there are “nicer” than the ones in his actual training unit.
When I made my call I remember thinking everyone was a total Pussy for crying when they called home, I was good until I heard my dog barking then I teared up myself lol.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
That is just great. Joining the military usually marks a sharp contrast from child to adulthood.

I’d expect some emotional graduation ceremonies in the future, after much effort on his part.

Our youngest son will be a senior this Fall. He doesn’t want to go from H.S. right into academia, just starting the process talking to a few recruiters.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son. I consider my time in basic training as one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post