SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daily wool sock recommendation?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daily wool sock recommendation? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
has anyone tried Bambas?

https://bombas.com/products/me...variant=black&size=l

20% off right now

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was another thread on this recently. DarnTough and Smartwool were knocked out for their politics. I'll add another vote for Point6. Turns out the Serket socks I have been wearing for years are branded Point6 as well. Very tough wearing, and no pilling. My Smartwools pill; DTs don't; I don't follow any specific washing ritual.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I buy Costco wool blend crew socks. Medium weight socks that I wear year round. Cheap and they wear well.

I’ve used Darn Tough and many other brands, the Costco are great but too small for me (I wear size 13 or 14 depending on the shoe). Otherwise I’d recommend them for price and quality

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I buy Costco wool blend crew socks. Medium weight socks that I wear year round. Cheap and they wear well.

^^^^^
This was going to be my suggestion too.

Same here. I wear their socks every day. Honestly they were better 5-10 years ago but they're still very good and a fantastic value.

Oh and their women's socks tend to be a little lighter weight. I used to buy them specifically to wear as dress socks when I was at a job with a dress code. Normal cotton dress socks combined with dress shoes were a recipe for damp uncomfortable misery. Not so with wool socks.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with some of the minus 33 sock. The mountain heritage full cushion seem to hold up ok, but the ones called day hikers pill immediately it seems.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Chongo - I chuckled cuz I have the exact opposite experience. For me, smartwool cost as much and don’t last at all even for just casual use. While DT last a long time of casual use and hikes. And DT is made in USA while smartwool is frequently imported. I wonder why we have different experiences. Model choice? Walking style?

DT are expensive though and I only buy on sale so it limits my selection. I’d like to try the FtF and the Kirkland merino to see if they work well for me.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Chongo - I chuckled cuz I have the exact opposite experience. For me, smartwool cost as much and don’t last at all even for just casual use. While DT last a long time of casual use and hikes. And DT is made in USA while smartwool is frequently imported. I wonder why we have different experiences. Model choice? Walking style?

DT are expensive though and I only buy on sale so it limits my selection. I’d like to try the FtF and the Kirkland merino to see if they work well for me.

For me, the weave of the tube of the sock is not strong enough on the darn toughs. I have shoved a finger through them on at least three pair, just pulling them on. I’ve been wearing socks for, oh, about 37 years and those are the only ones I’ve ever had that problem with.

I had also been wearing this morals for about 10 years before I try the darn toss, so I was already tilted that way. I only started wearing the darn tough because when I went to dayshift, people actually saw my socks sometimes and I needed some good black ones.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post