SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fleeing thief shot in the back...
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Fleeing thief shot in the back... Login/Join 
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Way back in about 1973 I took on a part-time job as an armed security guard in Atlanta.

The instructors drilled into us repeatedly during the training that we could NOT shoot a fleeing felon. No "ifs ands or buts."

The laws in GA may have changed since then but I will not shoot at anyone fleeing.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
a chainsaw can be a weapon. not a very good one, but hey, if it helps with defense and mindset. I am not saying theft warrants a death penalty, but we weren't there.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I hate thieve's with a passion but the basic standard is you can't shoot anyone unless you or someone you're with is in a life threatening situation.

That's how I see it too. Especially if they are fleeing with their backs to you.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Liveleak is a cesspool and I'd rather that we didn't post videos from that toilet.

Posts: 107769 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I determined human life is more valuable than stuff. Even if that life is low and selfish, I would rather not kill for stuff. This could change if society becomes apocalyptic but for now that is my policy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29736 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Several years ago I determined human life is more valuable than stuff. Even if that life is low and selfish, ...

I disagree. It's not "just stuff." My "stuff" is stuff that took time out of my life to acquire. When somebody steals from me, they're stealing part of my life. That is not acceptable.

However: The law is the law and I'll abide by it. Thus I would not shoot at a fleeing suspect unless I had reasonable cause to believe he or she posed an imminent threat to others.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

I hate thieve's with a passion but the basic standard is you can't shoot anyone unless you or someone you're with is in a life threatening situation.
Doesn't that depend on where you are?

I have been led to believe that Texas law permits you to shoot someone to protect your property. I could be wrong, I don't live in Texas.

That is indeed the law in Texas, and very shortly after it was passed, the law was tested when a guy shot and killed two people who were fleeing having robbed his neighbor's house. One of them was shot in the back. He was not arrested and was no-billed by a grand jury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...shooting_controversy

Very few states have laws allowing protection of property as justification for use of deadly force.

Texas does indeed allow use of deadly force to protect property, but most especially at nighttime.
So you can shoot to protect your stuff in daylight, and if you shoot at night, there is specific wording in the statute making it a greater certainty that the shooting will be deemed as justified. If the offense is committed 'during hours of darkness' I think is pretty much the wording. And those laws are pretty old if I remember correctly.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7270 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
When somebody steals from me, they're stealing part of my life.

Exactly!
A man who was a very strong mentor influence on me pointed out that fact over 50 years ago, and it made an indelible impression on me.

That doesn’t mean I won’t obey the law either, but fact it is and should be more widely recognized.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47422 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Here's a screen shot of the video.

The circled portion is where the thief is shot and drops. It takes almost 4-5 seconds for the shooter to catch up to him. I think (IMHO) the premeditation angle is based on the location (literally the middle of the road) and just how far away the guy was.

That, and up-charging.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have been led to believe that Texas law permits you to shoot someone to protect your property. I could be wrong, I don't live in Texas.

I thought that even in Texas, this is only legal during night time?

Either way, the cost of a shooting over property almost always far outweighs the actual cost of the property.

Posts: 1805 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post