SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In apparent world first, IDF deployed drone swarms in Gaza fighting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In apparent world first, IDF deployed drone swarms in Gaza fighting Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
From the Times of Israel (photos at this link)

quote:
In apparent world first, IDF deployed drone swarms in Gaza fighting
Military used ‘flocks’ of small aircraft, all communicating with each other, to locate targets, direct airstrikes, highlighting advances in artificial intelligence-driven combat

By Judah Ari Gross 10 July 2021, 6:29 pm
Israeli military drones fly in formation in an undated photograph. (Israel Defense Forces)
Mass swarms of dozens or hundreds of drones guided by artificial intelligence are widely considering to be one of the more worrying weapons making their way into the modern battlefield, one with the potential to be far cheaper and thus more available to non-state actors than other advanced munitions.

The world saw a taste of that emerging military technology, albeit a limited one, in May during the 11-day conflict between Israel and terror groups in Gaza, when the Israel Defense Forces used flocks of drones over the Strip to spot rocket launches by Hamas and attack those sites in what appears to be one of the first significant, publicly acknowledged real-world use of the concept.

The military’s use of drones in this way was initially kept classified during the fighting, but has since been permitted to be published in part.

During the fighting, the IDF struggled to prevent the Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror groups from launching rockets and mortar shells into Israel. By the end of the conflict, over 4,000 projectiles were fired from the Gaza Strip, killing several people in Israel, injuring scores more and regularly sending hundreds of thousands of Israelis to bomb shelters for nearly two weeks.

In a bid to prevent these attacks, the military worked to develop new methods of locating launchpads, which Hamas and Islamic Jihad had buried and hidden throughout the Gaza Strip, in schoolyards, home gardens and otherwise deep within civilian areas. For the first time, the IDF’s artificial intelligence capabilities were brought to bear on the issue, helping human analysts interpret a vast amount of satellite and aerial surveillance imagery to locate the launchpads, some of which were built to be used multiple times. This led Israeli Military Intelligence to declare the Gaza campaign the world’s “first AI war.”

In one use of artificial intelligence, the Israeli military deployed small flocks of quadcopter drones over the southern Gaza Strip with each device monitoring a specific patch of land, The Times of Israel learned at the time. When a rocket or mortar launch was detected, other armed aircraft or ground-based units attacked the source of the fire.

According to the Walla news site, the drone swarms were used dozens of times during the fighting by an until-now classified company of the Paratroopers Brigade, based on concepts developed by the IDF’s experimental Ghost Unit, which is tasked with trying out and creating new tactics and fighting styles for the military.

Israeli military drones fly in formation in an undated photograph. (Israel Defense Forces)
“After a year of preparation and exercises, the situation came and the aerial detection system is able to find the enemy and destroy it and bring the operational achievement we are looking for,” the company commander, who for security reasons can only be identified by his rank and first Hebrew initial, Maj. “Mem,” told the outlet.

“We conducted more than 30 sorties with the drone swarms, which collected precise intelligence and assisted other drones to carry out attacks on the targets,” he said.

During the 11-day campaign, dubbed Operation Guardian of the Walls, Mem’s unit worked with the Elbit defense contractor, which manufactured the drones, and other units within the IDF to refine its capabilities in real time.

According to Mem, while the first use of his unit was in Gaza, that was more of a trial run for the real threat they are preparing for: Hezbollah in Lebanon, which is considered a far more powerful foe than Hamas.

“We’re not resting on our laurels. We are already looking northward and preparing for operations in the next war,” he said.

The military also reportedly plans to expand the use of this technology to other ground units in the future.

However, Israeli drone expert Tal Inbar said it was not clear if these were truly the first attacks by a drone swarm in the world, as has been claimed in media reports in recent days, but this was nevertheless a significant milestone in the use of the technology.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Something something Skynet.

This is a terrible idea, broadly. We will regert this one day.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The shape of things to come.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
5G...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I don't think most people can even comprehend what the common consumer drone can do... So, I expect I can't comprehend what these military ones can do.

I have a commercial license to fly unmanned aircraft and have a fairly high end drone that can take both high res. video and pictures.... I bet the ones those Israelis are using make mine look like a tonka toy.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised it took this long. I’ve watched some of the Iraq fighting on TV and was blown away that they still sent bodies to check out areas to see if the enemy was in certain locations. Young soldiers were getting killed when in fact the enemy was hiding behind certain targets.

A $1200 drone that I have could have easily flown this same mission on 15 minutes with zero risk to human life. I just couldn’t believe the U.S. military was still doing that. As I watched it it seemed like they might as well be riding a horse around and carrying a musket.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Just like high explosives (dynamite) and machine guns, drones will make future wars impossible to win, and that will be the end of warfare. Wink

Is it ironic or something that it’s also the Israelis who have developed the first laser antidrone defense system, or close to it?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Just like high explosives (dynamite) and machine guns, drones will make future wars impossible to win, and that will be the end of warfare. Wink

Is it ironic or something that it’s also the Israelis who have developed the first laser antidrone defense system, or close to it?

That's the right way to do it. A kill switch or counter measure of some kind is a must for any autonomous system, especially one designed to recognise, hunt and kill humans.

These systems are inevitable, by the way.

Even if we aren't building hunter killers of some flavor(which we certainly are) our enemies undoubtedly are doing so.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Oh oh pick me!

Take the drone cover it in c-4 and ball bearings and use the drone as a flying claymore…find hadji loading a mortar tube and detonate the drone.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

The same has been said about nukes and biological weapons. But here we are.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sure.

I've few doubts our worst dystopian tech nightmares of the surveillance and killing kind are inevitable, a when not if situation that's happening faster and in more distributed and decentralized ways than ever before. It's not some kooky nightmare but the stark reality in more and more places each year, ushered in in many cases by lemming consumers wanting Moar Convenience and Moar Securrrity.

Hopefully the worst of it happens after my long life normally ends one day a few or more decades from now, but I am not hopeful... there are already too many ways to snoop and kill folks, we don't need better ones, much less swarms of semi autonomous flying explodey drones. Such tech should be regulated harder than Nukes, kept in locked boxes behind ebola moats, miles underground.

Instead people will welcome it into their homes vis a vis toys and arguments like our enemies do it too.

This is my excited face.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Oh oh pick me!

Take the drone cover it in c-4 and ball bearings and use the drone as a flying claymore…find hadji loading a mortar tube and detonate the drone.

You’re hired. When can you start?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

Keying on the Wink here

It will be exactly like many other advances - say, powerful engines and tracks changing the design of tanks - in that the folks who figure out first how best to use the new ideas will punch above their weight till everyone else catches on.

Same stuff, different decade.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Air Force Research Lab released this
Video showing new drone defense.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Oh oh pick me!

Already was done 5 years ago or so.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
when I saw the thread title, first thing I thought of was Ghost Recon Breakpoint game

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As to reducing wars the Gattling gun was supposed to do that.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, when can my condo building get a system installed for the pervert drone pilots at the hotel next door…

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Or, think about it this way. The more reliance that's placed on tech for defense, the more defenseless a group will be when an EMP strike is leveled against them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post