SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SF Arms Dealers - Which bound book?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SF Arms Dealers - Which bound book? Login/Join 
posted
After a month of waiting my 07 application was approved. Should have the license in hand in a few days. This will be basically a home-based on steroids. Finished out about 500 square feet of an outbuilding to hold a small office, workshop, and store room.

For those of you running an FFL, which bound book are you using? I'm not really interested in software with a monthly fee as my volume and margins will be low. Tentative plan would be to keep a paper bound book and make entries in a spreadsheet as an end of the world backup.

I'd take any other sage advice you all have as well and will say that WARPIG602 has been a great resource.

Posts: 5168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I honestly don’t think one is really any better than the next, they all have the same basic entries to fill. Software, that’s another story...but I don’t use it either. Just a bound book. I think I might have even got mine from Amazon!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember who makes the one I use, but I could check when I'm back in the shop. I tend to agree with dry-fly. Having room for the pertinent info is the main thing. Though I also prefer a heavy weight paper.

Main tip = Don't mess it up Wink

PS - Good luck. I hope it works out well for you.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Before I went electronic I used these: https://www.amazon.com/BookFac...PPH8tvwWL&ref=plSrch

Posts: 4129 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I use books from RK enterprises,

https://rkffl.com/

been using them for years, no issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My buddy uses EGOSS it’s computer based and more importantly, it’s searchable.

ATF told him about it and I think it was free.

Just looked it up on google...it’s not free, but it is cloud based and can be accessed anywhere

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Brownells

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Before I went electronic I used these: https://www.amazon.com/BookFac...PPH8tvwWL&ref=plSrch

This is what I've always used.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is a "bound book"?
The firearms acquisition and disposition (A&D) record, also known as a “bound book”, is a permanently bound book or an orderly arrangement of loose–leaf pages which must be maintained at the business premises. The format must follow that prescribed in the regulations and the pages must be numbered consecutively.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(1)(A); 27 CFR 478.121 and 478.125]

I keep mine in legal-size three-ring binder. Each page in the binder has six entries in the format required by the ATF regulations.

If you'd like I can email you the template that I use. My eddress is in my profile.

The industry operations investigators who have done my audits have made no comment about the format for my acquisition and disposition record i.e. that it's in a three-ring binder. The only thing they were concerned with was the fact that it was complete in all regards and matchef the information on the 4473 or the outgoing record of a firearm I shipped to another licensee.

You can also use the template to create an unofficial digital record. I do this using Microsoft Word, which I use for the template for each page. The only limitation I've encountered is Microsoft Word starts to get a bit wonky when you get a table with more than a thousand rows. When this happens I simply make a new volume for my A&D record.

I'm also willing to spend some time chatting with you about the trials and tribulations of being a a federally licensed Firearms dealer or manufacturer. I know if it's a no 7 FFL you also need to have the means to generate the records for payment of the firearms and ammunition excise tax. Be happy to spend some time talking with you about all of these sorts of issues

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
What is a "bound book"?
The firearms acquisition and disposition (A&D) record, also known as a “bound book”, is a permanently bound book or an orderly arrangement of loose–leaf pages which must be maintained at the business premises. The format must follow that prescribed in the regulations and the pages must be numbered consecutively.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(1)(A); 27 CFR 478.121 and 478.125]

I keep mine in legal-size three-ring binder. Each page in the binder has six entries in the format required by the ATF regulations.

If you'd like I can email you the template that I use. My eddress is in my profile.

The industry operations investigators who have done my audits have made no comment about the format for my acquisition and disposition record i.e. that it's in a three-ring binder. The only thing they were concerned with was the fact that it was complete in all regards and matchef the information on the 4473 or the outgoing record of a firearm I shipped to another licensee.

You can also use the template to create an unofficial digital record. I do this using Microsoft Word, which I use for the template for each page. The only limitation I've encountered is Microsoft Word starts to get a bit wonky when you get a table with more than a thousand rows. When this happens I simply make a new volume for my A&D record.

I'm also willing to spend some time chatting with you about the trials and tribulations of being a a federally licensed Firearms dealer or manufacturer. I know if it's a no 7 FFL you also need to have the means to generate the records for payment of the firearms and ammunition excise tax. Be happy to spend some time talking with you about all of these sorts of issues

Being so small time, I'm planning to stick under the 50 gun line to avoid having to pay FET.

I will email you about your template though as I would like to take a look.

Posts: 5168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
AIMI. Package brought direct to market from Hades, aka Coloseum Software. Wouldn't recommend it. Also I wouldn't buy it today, but I don't get that kind of power to choose. Our shop was sucked in at the beginning by free use offers; once tied to it, now it's a spendy 'subscription' to keep it going every year. Just like introductory cable TV package "deals". Company is run by a left-sympathetic, 'ambivalent'-gunner. Not quite anti but also not pro either.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Leaning toward the Brownells books since they fit in an existing binder and are all of $5 a book.