SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley guys/girls- Looking for Info on FXDF Fat Bob ** UPDATE- GOT IT**
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley guys/girls- Looking for Info on FXDF Fat Bob ** UPDATE- GOT IT** Login/Join 
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted
I’m looking for feedback or any experience with the FXDF Fat Bob model that anyone may have. If anyone owns one, or knows anyone who has owned or does own one, I’d like to hear anything you have to offer.

I’ve read reviews, watched videos, sat on a new one at the local dealer. Everything seems positive so far. I may be able to test ride the one I sat on over the weekend, if the weather is ok.

My current bike is a 1994 FXLR- IMO one of the best ever to come out of the factory, and I will never sell it. It fits me and my riding style perfectly. But, it is getting up there in years and miles. I discovered last year when needing to replace a broken exhaust pipe after 15 years that parts for these older bikes are becoming scarce and pricey.

I have a line on a 2010 FXDF. I like the look, have owned Dynas in the past and liked them (wife owns one). It’s in excellent condition, has low miles, and has some good mods that I would have done myself- stage 1 performance upgrade, exhaust, some chrome, some other extras. It’s also priced in the ballpark of what I can accept as reasonable. I think new bikes are just too much to consider at this point.

I’m thinking of semi- retiring the FXR and getting a newer bike for more regular use, and this may be the one. Any info from this knowledgeable group would be very helpful. Likes, dislikes, positives, negatives- anything. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AH.74,

Posts: 7348 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I have a '14 I bought with 3700 miles on it in 2015. It's been great, really can't speak highly enough of it. I did the Stage 1 with the Ventilator a/c and Two Brothers exhaust with the SE Super Tuner.

I'm just at under 15k miles. No problems of any kind.

I also swapped out the standard shocks and fork springs with units from Progressive-the shocks are 13" 444s.

I typically do day rides on the multitude of two lane backroads we have in Colorado with an occassional longer trip to Steamboat Springs for 3-4 days in the summer.

I prefer the newer rear fender/brake light set-up on the 13+ models, never liked that flip up rear fender on the originals.

I usually use a cargo net to hold a day pack on the back part of the seat for those longer trips.

I love the way the bike rides and handles, especially with the improved suspension parts (there are more expensive options but they suit my needs). If it matters I'm 5'9" and weigh right around 170, been riding for 49 years.

The only other Dyna I'd consider is the last Low Rider S, almost traded mine in for one but I like not having any payments so I passed.

You might say I'm pretty happy with it. Big Grin

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have ridden Dynas, old and new, don't have one, I took the Softail to Bagger route. One of my favorites was the FXDWG to ride, all the looks of a softail with a normal suspension.

However I'll continue to opine Big Grin

Dynas are good handling HD's probably the best of the big twin line you'd be moving light years ahead of your Evo that you ride now when getting the twin cam version Fat Bob.

No Bags, no windshield, although you can add those if you wish, plenty of power and the twin cam is easily hopped up if you want more power.

The technology changes from 94 to 2010 are significant from a carb to EFI and them some, the jump from 10 to 17 is even more drastic.

I would venture that a 2010 dyna in good shape would be a great buy, not overly expensive and you'll find yourself wanting to ride it more than the 94, it's just that much better of a built bike. Not saying the 94 is bad, because it isn't, however HD has made a lot of improvements and the Twin Cam is a very solid reliable platform.

Posts: 23630 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Sorry, there is no way I would buy a Harley called "Fat Bob!" Smile

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

Then you'd probably balk at the Fat Boy as well...

Since the model name isn't on it like a car, unless you ride one, who'd know,

Heck you could tell them its the HD Fat Johnson if you need the self image enhancement Big Grin

Posts: 23630 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. As always, extremely helpful.

Doc- nice! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Suspension upgrades will probably be high on the list. I've had good results with Progressive in the past.

HRK- my favorite past bike was my '99 Wide Glide. I got the FXR when I was run off the road and the WG was wrecked back in '02. Probably still be riding it if not for that. First-year twin-cam, ran great.

We could argue about the superiority of the FXR frame in terms of being the best-handling bikes ever, but that's for another time. heh Have you ever ridden any FXR's?

Looks like I may be moving forward on this one. The seller has even offered to meet me halfway which makes the whole deal much more easy to arrange.

Thanks again, guys.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

Then you'd probably balk at the Fat Boy as well...

Since the model name isn't on it like a car, unless you ride one, who'd know,

Heck you could tell them its the HD Fat Johnson if you need the self image enhancement Big Grin

Naw, Fat Boy would be OK since my name isn't Boy. Big Grin

It sort of reminds me of the story about the guy named Joe who had a vanity plate on his really nice pick up. The plate read "Fat Pat." One day a coworker asked Joe why he had a plate that read "Fat Pat" on his truck. Joe said He didn't want his wife driving his truck and as long as that plate was on there she wouldn't. Her name was Pat. Big Grin

P.S. I would rather have a V-Rod.

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fat bob is a good bike. The wide tires make it ride better. I've ridden several and they were all good.

Posts: 248 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I got lucky with this one. Great bike.

Upgraded with Progressive Suspension springs and heavy oil in front, 412's in back. Night-and-day handling difference over the horrible stock setup. Funny how some people spend a fair amount on a pipe and air cleaner performance improvement setup such as this one came with, but don't think about suspension.

New Le Pera Seat which is much lower, narrower and closer to the bars, allowing for much greater comfort overall.

It came with a Memphis Shades quick-detachable batwing fairing, which works very well to deflect almost all wind pressure. Also came with a detachable backrest which I'm not crazy about as far as looks go, but which makes it much easier to carry things as a point to secure against. Both of these are on/off in a matter of seconds.

So far I have a few hundred miles on it after the suspension mods, and I'm very pleased. It's quite maneuverable for such a big, fat-assed bike. I believe it'll be a permanent addition to the stable. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking bike. You're going to enjoy that one I'm sure.

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
I got lucky with this one. Great bike.

Upgraded with Progressive Suspension springs and heavy oil in front, 412's in back. Night-and-day handling difference over the horrible stock setup. Funny how some people spend a fair amount on a pipe and air cleaner performance improvement setup such as this one came with, but don't think about suspension.

New Le Pera Seat which is much lower, narrower and closer to the bars, allowing for much greater comfort overall.

It came with a Memphis Shades quick-detachable batwing fairing, which works very well to deflect almost all wind pressure. Also came with a detachable backrest which I'm not crazy about as far as looks go, but which makes it much easier to carry things as a point to secure against. Both of these are on/off in a matter of seconds.

So far I have a few hundred miles on it after the suspension mods, and I'm very pleased. It's quite maneuverable for such a big, fat-assed bike. I believe it'll be a permanent addition to the stable. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Nice bike.

Suggestion I would offer concerns oils. Forget the over priced HD crap and go with Red Line Synthetic 20W50. You will like the smoother clutch action, smoother gear shifting and a cooler running motor. Change at 5K.

Cycle gear usually has Red Line oils on sale.

I used Red Line in my 2014 (FXDL) Dyna Low Rider.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Really nice looking bike, OP. I'm jealous and (once again) covetous of someone else's HD.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post