SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are Malkoff heads worth it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Malkoff heads worth it? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
I retrofitted a Surefire P6 to make it useful again. Could have played roulette with different Chinese bulbs but did a little research and figured I'd save myself the aggravation and spend a little bit more for a guaranteed win. Vey happy with the result. The handwritten thank you on the receipt was a nice touch.

I did the same only with a couple of Surefire G2 lights and lock-out tailcaps. The amount of light output and the updates made it a nice value-added mod.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I have an e2 and a e2d that could use these but I have a hard time paying a hundred bucks for 450 lumens. when I can get this for the same price.

The thing I've discovered is it's not about the lumens, it's about the candela. Malkoff and Surefire rank lower on the lumens compared to a lot of stuff, but they have the throw/projection that the Chinese super lumen lights do not, and I say that as a guy who carries a titanium Reylight Triple Dawn. County Comm made the money on that one, so I don't feel too bad, but while it puts out 3k lumens and will light up my whole back yard, it doesn't light up a spot or push into shadow the way my old Surefire M952V does.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:

I have an e2 and a e2d that could use these but I have a hard time paying a hundred bucks for 450 lumens. when I can get this for the same price.

https://fenix-store.com/produc...eEAQYASABEgJjQPD_BwE
I had a nice single-cell (CR123A) Fenix light that was always in my pocket. It crapped out, I tried to send it to Fenix for repair. Not warranty, I wanted it fixed and I made it clear that I was willing to pay for the repair.

Fenix's response: "We no longer support that model. We can offer you a 20% discount on a replacement."

It's almost impossible to buy a Fenix light without at least a 20% discount.

Fenix will never see another penny from me. I have a couple SureFire's (purchased used, from SIGforum members), and if I need another light it will be from an American company, SureFire or Malkoff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a maglite which you want to upgrade and keep for a long time, then yes. Worth it. But realize it's a labor of love, there are plenty of great lights for less money that would work better. I've fallen in love with Anderil 2 as an os. Maglite is on/off.

I did my maglite and am super happy as no one is making a reliable "club like" flashlight (they are made, but the word is reliable). Not sure what maglite did for a switch, but they have amazing longevity, solid quality and are worth the upgrade IMO. D cells are otherwise worthless in a land of 18650 and 26600 lithium batteries.

I have no experience with Malkoffs battery converters (ie, ditching a D cell in favor of a 26600), but suspect they are also bombproof.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
So that's a yes? Big Grin

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6326 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
So that's a yes? Big Grin
It's the usual "buy once, cry once" typically heard around these parts. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Beyond that they're an American company with fantastic customer service, the thing that really draws me to Malkoff is that they don't play the lumens game that everyone else plays, including Surefire and Streamlight. IMO, it allows iffy flashlight companies to play with the big boys and Malkoff doesn't do it.

ANSI standards for the industry measure run time as the duration of the initial light output - defined as 30 seconds from when you first turn it on - until it reaches 10% of initial value.

Companies game that by making their lights run at very high lumens, for example 1k, 2k or something else and then the output drops after 30 seconds and runs for awhile and then taper off for another 90 mins or so, down to 10% output. Look at Streamlight Fact Sheets to see the very real drop off.

When you buy a Malkoff, the runtime is the continuous runtime. Not the gamed ANSI standard but actual runtime, followed by the taper. Malkoff is honest in their assessment, unlike everyone else. If anything, Malkoff is conservative with their numbers.

This is the link to the Streamlight ProTac BPL Duel Fuel light. 1000 lumens start but look at the drop off after a very short time. It's only about 450 to 500 lumens regulated and then it drops at the very end to 100.

If you didn't know better, you'd think the light was 1k lumens for 90 mins but it's not and not even close.

Streamlight Fact Sheet

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dug up a few older Surefires last year while cleaning out the garage. Bought Malkoff upgraded heads for them, we use them for general flashlight use around the house now.

Outstanding customer service, great company.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Somehow I know nothing about this. I refuse to google this because I just know it will lead to yet another spending spree.

I’ll save this education for when I’m not either in the middle of or rebounding from other obsessions.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a replacement LED assembly for my Sure-Fire Z9.
Old Bulb assembly (Halogen?) shows 6V Laser Products P60, NK-1.
I will snail mail (48 States) old assembly (My Dime) to first requestor that NEEDS it.

MY email is in my profile.
Billy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: p113565,

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post