SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Visiting Tyler Texas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Tyler Texas Login/Join 
posted
I’m visiting Tyler Texas for the week from California. Any recommendations on things to do or places to eat, guns stores to check out? The people are definitely nice. The area reminds me of where I lived in Missouri.

Posts: 333 | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stanley’s Famous Pit Barbecue. It usually is near the top of Texas Monthly’s list. Lots of other dining options, most I’m not familiar enough with to recommend or speak of knowledgeably.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I used to fish with a guide at big-bass Mecca, Lake Fork, in East Texas. He was partial to the “titty bar” in Tyler. I think that’s about it. Razz

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I recommend a visit to the Rose Garden. While in the area, a trip on the old train from Palestine to Rusk and back might be fun. There are gun shows in Tyler every so often--if you're there when one happens, it's small but not bad. https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-...-gun-show-lone-star/ If you're interested in MX racing there is a track in the area: http://www.swanmx.com/. There is a shooting range in the area: https://www.yelp.com/biz/31-we...hip&utm_source=yahoo (The reviews say the manager is hostile, though.)

I have not been to the track or the range, so have no personal opinions.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's been 15 years, but Tyler/Longview was part of my territory as an area engineer for oil & gas. A few things I remember enjoying:
  • Over in Kilgore, East Texas oil & gas museuem.
  • Over in Athens (west of Tyler), it's a neat town on the edge of huge man-made lake, Cedar Creek Reservoir

Here is an East Texas Attractions and Things to Do List
    quote:
    Originally posted by BGULL:
    Stanley’s Famous Pit Barbecue. It usually is near the top of Texas Monthly’s list. Lots of other dining options, most I’m not familiar enough with to recommend or speak of knowledgeably.
    Bodacious in Longview finished a little higher (4.75 vs 4.5) than Stanley's in the last edition of Texas Monthly's Top 50.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    It's been 15 years, but Tyler/Longview was part of my territory as an area engineer for oil & gas. A few things I remember enjoying:
  • Over in Kilgore, East Texas oil & gas museuem.
  • Over in Athens (west of Tyler), it's a neat town on the edge of huge man-made lake, Cedar Creek Reservoir

Here is an East Texas Attractions and Things to Do List
    quote:
    Originally posted by BGULL:
    Bodacious in Longview finished a little higher (4.75 vs 4.5) than Stanley's in the last edition of Texas Monthly's Top 50.
  • I ate at Bodacious in 2014--the BBQ sandwiches are huge!

DSC_7140.jpg
    by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Chip away the stone
    Picture of rusbro
    posted Hide Post
    If you are into fishing, there are a number of good lakes in East Texas. Also, I've heard the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens is pretty interesting.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/jxc9haLjddE

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gloom, despair and
    agony on me.
    Picture of drabfour
    posted Hide Post
    Definitely Stanleys BBQ since I ate there I never went back to Bodacious. Superior Outfitters in the French Quarter on Broadway or Noonday Gun Trader on HWY 155 about 4 miles south of Loop 323 for gun shops. Lots of lakes in the area. I believe the gun range flashguy mentioned is membership only, I’ve never been even though it’s just done the road from me, just outside Chandler. Plenty of places to eat as that seems all they build around here is eateries and banks. My email is in my profile if you have anything you want to talk about offline.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    Stanley’s. It’ll change your life. Get a lot of Q and definitely get a Cadillac Clucker even if you eat only one bite.

We hit about 40 BBQ joints the six years we were inTX and Stanley’s Iain our top 3.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12430 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gloom, despair and
    agony on me.
    Picture of drabfour
    posted Hide Post
    Yes the Cadillac Mother Clucker is delicious! Another favorite is the Ex-Wife which is pulled pork and sliced brisket sandwich also the Cluckin tacos are very good.

https://stanleysfamous.com/

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    The train ride out of Palestine is good. Rose Garden. It's a sleepy town.

Great fishing nearby.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    When I visited the best gun shop I found was Mac’s
    https://macsgunshop.com/contact-macs-gun-shop/

Posts: 4125 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gloom, despair and
    agony on me.
    Picture of drabfour
    posted Hide Post
    Macs is ok but they don’t keep a lot of inventory.

If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by drabfour:

None I visited were very impressive. I cannot recall the name but one was in a strip mall and there was barely enough room to walk it was so small.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gloom, despair and
    agony on me.
    Picture of drabfour
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mrvmax:
    quote:

None I visited were very impressive. I cannot recall the name but one was in a strip mall and there was barely enough room to walk it was so small.

Probably the Shootist. Yeah I’d never set foot in that place again. When was it you visited last?

posted Hide Post
    Re: Bodacious. The Bodacious on Mobberly in Longview (we like the Sixth Street location as well) is the location that makes the Texas Monthly listing and it is very good. Each Bodacious location has its own unique setup/menu/etc. The Bodacious in Gladewater is affiliated with the Bodacious Mobberly location.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of henryaz
    posted Hide Post

The East Texas Oil Museum in Kilgore depicts the boom town scene in 1930's East Texas. I believe it was the largest oil field discovery at the time, and helped maintain the USA's supply of petroleum to fight WW2.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by mrvmax:
    quote:

Probably the Shootist. Yeah I’d never set foot in that place again. When was it you visited last?

I was there for a few days in May.

posted Hide Post
    Tyler has a nice little zoo. It is worth a visit.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    They have a large gorilla on top of a trailer right off the main highway. The buildings at UT Tyler look like prison or government buildings. This was the perspective of a college freshman playing a tennis match at the University. One of the buildings is named after a former President.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post