SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have a garden? If so what are you growing?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a garden? If so what are you growing? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Last year I made the mistake of trying to grow too many plants in a 4 foot by 12 foot raised garden box. By June/July the tomato and cucumber plants had taken over and it looked like a jungle.

I am hoping I gave everything enough room this year. I assembled another 4x12 cedar box and gave much more thought to the layout of the plants. I also added about a dozen planter boxes around my deck as well as attached boxes to the rails of my deck.

So far here is what I am growing in my raised cedar boxes as well as the many planter boxes I have lining my deck. The deck garden contains mostly herbs that I use while cooking. Quite a few plants and herbs are from last year or the year before. My butter crunch is completely from the seeds of last years plants. It was a nice bonus to see them sprout up so I relocated them in their own planter box.

Cherry Tomatoes
Beef steak tomatoes
Romaine lettuce
Butter crunch lettuce
Curley Kale
Parsley
Red cabbage
Broccoli
Thyme
Rosemary
Basil
Green onions
Garlic chives
Swiss chard
Red, yellow and orange sweet bell peppers
Gypsy peppers
Cucumbers
Squash
Tomatillos

I have a citronella plant from last year that does an excellent job keeping the mosquitos away. They are not supposed to make it though the winter but mine did.

What’s in your garden?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm simple.

Sweet 100 tomatoes
Two verities of beefy style tomatoes
Jalapenos
Couple kinds of bell peppers
Cucumbers
Basil
Italian parsley
Cilantro
Mint
Rosemary

Doing from seed first time because was unsure if my greenhouse would be open this year, owners are very old and not good health. My plants (other than cucumbers) look like crap. Going to look at trashing my plans and buying peppers and tomatoes from greenhouse if they are open.

Tip for the cucumbers, give them something to grow on.

*Edit* forgot the green beans.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomatoes, squash, green bell peppers,radishes,celery, onions, cucumber, watermelon.

Everything in raised 4x4 gardens, large pots. or large rubbermaid containers set up with soaker watering on a timer.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Skins, I will be building something for the squash to grow on today. I had stakes and wires from last year but it looked awful and they didn’t climb it so well so I tore that down and I’m going to build them something better this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Less is more with squash/cucumber that stuff will take over your entire yard if allowed. Google cucumber fence or trellis and there are tons of ideas out there.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I grow radishes, green beans, corn, strawberries, lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots. Most of it is canned and stored with the rest to family. At 40’ X 100’ it’s maxed out. Not going any bigger.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Tomatoes
Carrots
Green Beans
Radishes
Pumpkins
Watermelon
Cucumbers
Jalapeno Peppers
Thai Red Peppers

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
PowerSurge, Do you grow strawberries from seeds each year or established plants? I have four small strawberry plants that I planted two years ago and I need to figure out a way to get more strawberries from my plants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
PowerSurge, Do you grow strawberries from seeds each year or established plants? I have four small strawberry plants that I planted two years ago and I need to figure out a way to get more strawberries from my plants.

Established. I use miracle grow on mine. Also keep the soil moist but not damp. Too much water is just as bad as too little.

Here it is: https://www.miraclegro.com/en-...egetables-plant-food

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Stickman 428 - very nice! I am jealous. It was snowing here earlier this week and has been too cold to plant anything. I've planted gardens for years, but have gotten lazy and now keep just a small plot (we go to the local public market now almost every weekend). Assuming the soil warms sufficiently, I'll be planting hot peppers in my 6x6 plot. Cayennes, Hungarian Hots, Habaneros, and Jalapenos. My neighbor grows Ghost Peppers and Carolina Reapers.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have 3 raised beds, 4x8 feet.

For spring/summer it’s tomatoes, bell peppers, green beans, eggplant, squash, okra, corn, carrots, radishes and lettuce.

I have some big flower pots and containers I’ll put a few things in. This year I decided to put a few more vegetables in among my flower beds, probably green beans and Swiss chard, no one will realize what they are.

For Fall I’ll have more green beans, beets, might try a few turnips and kholrabi.

You can grow more in small odd areas, such a 5 gallon bucket, pots, old whiskey barrels cut in half, etc. There are ways to grow herbs and lettuce in containers you make from rain gutters.

Have you heard of Square Foot Gardening? Look it up, it’s ways to grow more in a small place.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
My seedlings are under lights in the spare room and will be till about the end of May.I use planters around the deck and am building a couple raised beds in a few weeks. Keeping the wildlife out is the part that worries me. If anyone grows hydroponically feel free to toss advice around. I want to try tomatoes indoors this winter.

Plum tomatoes
cherry tomatoes
bell peppers
cukes
summer squash
zucchini
eggplant

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m still 2 weeks away from transplanting to outside. I’ve got 12 Early Girl tomato and 6 cucumber plants under grow lights. I planted a 200 foot row of sweet corn out at the farms this week.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Herbs only.
Just built this in fact during the Caronapocolyse.
Needs some more but it's a start.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Has anyone done potatoes? I have a couple growing eyes now that I'll plant in a container just to try it more than anything else.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Cherry tomatoes, green beans and herbs. Grapes.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I mostly grow potatoes in my raised beds, red and yukon gold. I do have some green onions as well. I picked up a pickup truck load of manure from a friend yesterday. I'll also grow tomatoes in pots on my deck. I started them from seed.

Being at 7,400' elevation its tough to grow. I planted an entire garden 3 years ago on memorial day weekend. We got frost on June 10 and then a few days later and wiped me out. That's when I switched to potatoes.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is something I want to do. I will have to build some protection around it, though as our backyard is wide open to critters. It's not uncommon to see deer, raccoons, etc. roaming our backyard.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I planted March 14th, and mainly grow salsa and marinara:
  • Sauce Tomato - Romas (about 25% of my garden)
  • Cherry Tomato - Husky Red (best tasting tomato ever. Even better than sweet 100s).
  • Bush Tomato - These are my "slicing" tomatoes (e.g. for BLTs). Had to kill 1 due to wilt and can't remember the other. Also, use them in salsa or marinara.
  • Poblano Pepper
  • Mild Jalapeno
  • Red Bell Pepper
  • Blue Lake Bush Bean
  • Burgundy Bush Bean - these are kind of cool because they're purple but turn green as you cook them. Steaming is my favorite because when I pull the lid off 5 minutes later there isn't a trace of purple left (I'm easily amused).
  • Strawberry
  • Rosemary
  • Catnip - my 19 year old cat loves homegrown catnip
  • Mint

Next weekend, I'll plant some cilantro and basil. They get too woody if I plant them at the same time as my tomatoes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    Even better than me having one my friend has a large garden on his 4 acres (I know 4 is small to some of you but he is in town and that’s a big chunk around here). I’m going over now to get fresh eggs, squash and zucchini. He will have green beans, beats, kale, chard and other stuff later. I usually barter with ammo, grass fed beef, knives or other things he needs.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post