SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone shoot .44-.40 these days ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone shoot .44-.40 these days ? Login/Join 
posted
On a regular basis.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54717 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, why do you ask?
A great black powder cartridge!

Posts: 312 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was reading about it on the web and don't see it mentioned hardly at all.

Either in the pistol or rifle areas.

Although not offered in tons of choices.
I was wonder who was using it and for what

Posts: 54717 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
When I was shooting Cowboy Action Shooting there were quite a few guys shooting this round. Check out the SASS Wire you may find info you are looking for from the cowboys there.
https://forums.sassnet.com/ind.../forum/12-sass-wire/

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I have a family hand me down Winchester but I don’t shoot it on a regular basis. I’ve toyed with getting a companion revolver but that will likely wait until retirement when I have more free time.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
One of the guys I shoot with every week shoots one on a regular basis.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much every month at Cowboy matches. Lots of smoke.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's a plethora of these old black powder cartridges like .44-40 that still have small niche followings among BP or Cowboy enthusiasts. As a result, there are a few "old school" revolvers and lever action rifles still being produced today in these BP chamberings, and obviously a bunch of old guns chambered in them still out there.

But from the viewpoint of practicality, performance, firearm availability, or ammo availability, these various late-1800s black powder cartridges pale in comparison to more modern loadings. As a result, their popularity is quite limited. That's why you don't see much discussion about them today, outside of posts or forums dedicated to antique Old West guns or the Cowboy Action Shooting competitions.

.30-30 is probably the most popular of these old black powder loadings these days, and I'm sure you've heard of that one. Funnily enough, this has resulted in a chicken/egg situation, where .30-30 remains popular because it has been modernized and is widely available, and it has been modernized and widely available because it remains popular (unlike the other BP cartridges of its era).

But even .30-30's popularity is waning fast nowadays, as modern cartridges like .300 Blackout and 7.62x39 take over its "shorter ranged .30 caliber hunting round" territory.

Posts: 32563 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who rolls his own .44-40 using a hand press from circa 1880. It took a while to figure the gizmo out, but it does it all, decap, cap, size, bullet start, seat, and crimp. He even found a smokeless load with pressure data that lets him shoot indoors.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cast bullets for it and load with blackpowder to shoot in an antique Colt SAA and Lightning rifle. I have one of the older Ideal all in one tools that I use for the mold but generally load the brass with standard dies. I also have a Winchester '73 in 38-40 that I will be loading for as soon as I get a mold. In addition to those, I also cast and load 45 Colt and 45 Schofield in BP.

Posts: 2492 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot several hundred rounds a year through a HRA "Original" Henry, a Winchester/Miroku SRC, a Colt "Frontier Six Shooter", and a Cimarron/Uberti Old Model.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I believe the 30/30 was one of the first cartridges designed for smokeless powder.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course! I have the only Spanish firearm I'd ever give 2 cents for-an El Tigre (copy of the 1892 Winchester)in excellent, excellent condition that shoots 'em all right where the front sight is pointed.

I had wanted an El Tigre since I was a youngster way before the GCA '68 passed, but never had the money. A friend pulled this one out a few years ago and I wouldn't leave till I bought it.

And I have a modern copy of a SAA that I got from Forum Member Armfel a few years ago.

I love the 44-40.

Bob

Posts: 1585 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never did shoot a lot of 44-40, but do load and shoot a ton of 38-40. No black powder for me.....been there--done that!!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot between 1k-2k a year in CAS. I load mine with HP-38 and generally a 200gr bullet. I use mainly Starline and Winchester Brass. I have shoot them out of a Rossi SRC65, Uberti 1873 SR, Uberti 1873 pistol, and a Pietta 1873 pistol.

Posts: 1220 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what constitutes "a regular basis". I have a S&W 544 revolver, a Colt New Frontier in 44-40. I also have a Colt Sheriff's Model with both 44-40 and .44 Special cylinders. I also have a Cimarron copy of an 1873 Winchester in 44-40. I don't shoot them as much as my K-22, but I shoot them more than my Broomhandle Mauser. I don't shoot them as much as my S&W Model 28-2, but I shoot them more than my 03-A3 Springfield.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good information ironworker,

So primarily target shooting only ,
No hunting use
I guess
Thanks to those who share