SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dimmer questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dimmer questions Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Was over at a family friend the other day.

They have a finished basement with some LED canister lights. Lights are on a dimmer. They can not get the lights to dim far enough. Don't know the brand of the dimmer or lights but can try and find out.

It is a dimmer made for LED's, it has the adjuster knob on the switch under the switch cover. It's been adjusted all the way down. I've install a bunch of dimmers and understand how they work. I did not put this one in. Do not think it's overloaded. Don't think there are more the 8 lights on it but will check with them.

It has been like this since it was installed and does dim all the way up and down pretty far just not enough. The adjuster works but again can not make it adjust all the way down.

What am I missing? Different dimmer. This is a name brand dimmer eighter Leviton or Lurton. Toggle type with slider next to the switch.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the LED compatible dimmers have a “gain” closer to a rheostat dial that will allow to dim further. I just installed one myself the other weekend and it was under the plastic plate

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6237 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
It is probably the bulbs.
Not all LED bulbs are dimmable. The packaging should be marked but you can tell because the bulbs never go fully off.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Check the labeling of the lamps/fixtures and figure out what their dimming range is, this may take a call to the manufacturer. You may desire to dim them further than they are capable of being dimmed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Unscrew the bulbs from the sockets, they will dim right down to zero.

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Both the lights and the switch need to be compatible. Some LEDs are not dimmable (even if they might dim partially, they will fail much faster) and some dimmer switches are not LED capable.

It took me a few go-rounds to learn this in my house, but everything is working correctly now.

My LED compatible dimmer switches have a gain control that you use to set the bottom limit of dim. If set too high, the lights will never dim all the way, if set too low, the lights will never be all the way off.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Check the labeling of the lamps/fixtures and figure out what their dimming range is, this may take a call to the manufacturer. You may desire to dim them further than they are capable of being dimmed.

For some reason I didn’t know this. Will have to check. Thanks

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post