SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Five-pound toy poodle named Pickles dies while protecting his family from a BEAR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Five-pound toy poodle named Pickles dies while protecting his family from a BEAR Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Pickles did good.

I’ll be “that guy” who says owner failed the dog. While I don’t live in “bear country”, we have had the occasional crazed raccoon, Wylie Coyotes, and there are of course plenty of two legged predators as well.

If I don’t have a gun on me, there is one within easy reach. I find a predator in my home I am pretty sure my Aussie would be on it in a flash, but I would be backing her up ASAP instead of getting all flustered and doing nothing to help.

People really need to take some responsibility for themselves before having any expectation for someone else to help them.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Pickles needed a friend with a gun.

My dog has several different voices. One says "Get your gun, Papa!", and its always there, in easy reach

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I'll second what boss said,fits my life style to a T.
No bears but roaming pits.That got handled five different times.
There was one bear in hunt camp that came after
Max.
Made a nice rug all be it was expensive to have it processed

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
May not have saved Pickles, but that bear would have been full off lead. There's a rule in the Skins household, if you attempt to eat a member, you get shot, a lot.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pickles did good. He gave his life for his family. You can’t expect more. Hope he gets lots of belly rubs and treats.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Five pound toy poodle with the heart of a lion.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Pickles, you have my great respect. RIP Braveheart.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their situational awareness needs some work.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
RIP Pickles. Good dog.

Poodles are all one breed:
Toy: ≤ 10" (measured at the shoulder)
Miniature: >10-15"
Standard: > 15"

They're awesome dogs.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're awesome dogs.

You said the truth right there,best tracker I ever had,he just pasted last day of July
I am nearly ready to go to local pound and let another one adopt me.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’ll be “that guy” who says owner failed the dog.

Right there with you.
While Pickles deserves a place next to all the other hero K-9's who went before him, his owner didn't back him up.

A dog is gonna protect it's owners/family, it's what they do, it's what we expect, it's what we love about our pets. Those little yappers can get pretty bullish and most of the time they don't know their own limitations. The owner just can't sit back and think that it's cute that little Bruiser is standing-up to the big bear. This is no different than your partner/teammate going into the breach and you're nowhere close to backing him up. You live in bear country, you better know how to handle them. It's a black bear, make a lot of noise and make sure it has an escape route; corner it and it'll start....acting like the bear of nightmares.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
There's a helluva "Welcome, Pickles" party going on at the other end of The Bridge, hosted by all the good dogs that crossed before.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard somewhere that in most enviroments dogs will evolve to a 50-70 lb. weight. I've had all sizes, from Great Dane to Pomeranian. Our 14 lb. Pomeranian thinks she is a 50+ pound dog. It's not until she gets close to another dog or prey that she realizes how small she is. On the other hand, my Great Dane frequently acted as if he was bigger than he expected, sometimes having to back out of a place he could not fit in.

Good on Pickles for defending his pack to the best of his ability.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
God bless Pickles....may he never run out of treats, bones and belly rubs.

ARman

This...Damn late summer pollen.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

I’ll be “that guy” who says owner failed the dog.

No, I'll be "that guy" and say.. How do we know Pickles didn't do this to everyone who came in the house? We've all met plenty of yappy ankle biters like that, you wouldn't call them heroes. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Pickles died doing what dogs do so well, being loyal to their family.

Side note if I was called Pickles all my life I would be one mean SOB

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Poodles can be some vicious little furballs.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post