SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Five-pound toy poodle named Pickles dies while protecting his family from a BEAR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Five-pound toy poodle named Pickles dies while protecting his family from a BEAR Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
You did good Pickles. RIP Frown

A North Carolina family is calling their dog a hero after he sacrificed his life to save theirs.

Pickles may have only been five pounds, but when a bear came into his family's home, the toy poodle didn't back down.

Tiffany Merrill said she thought she was going to die when a bear broke into her Black Mountain home on Friday.

She had opened the door for just a moment to let her dog use the bathroom when the bear pushed its way in.

'I started yelling for my kids, "Shut your doors! Shut your doors! There's a bear in the house!"' she told WRAL.

Just seconds later, Pickles came to the rescue.

'He started barking and got the bear's attention and got the bear outside,' Merrill said. 'He saved my life.'

Merrill said it was excruciating knowing she couldn't help Pickles take the bear on.

'There was nothing I could do,' she said. 'I wanted to go out there and jump on the back of the bear and save my dog.'

Pickles was taken to the animal hospital and had surgery but died from his injuries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...bear-broke-home.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck of a brave pup, protecting his pack!

Pickles epitomizes the saying. . .

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight that counts, but the size of the fight in the dog."

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God bless Pickles....may he never run out of treats, bones and belly rubs.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
God bless you, Pickles Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Good dog, Pickles.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not trying to Monday morning QB. I feel bad for the pup. Just out of curiosity, is this bear country? If so, is it typical to have some bear protection readily and immediately available? For example, what if your kids go outside to play and there is a bear like this? Is this extremely rare? Doesn’t seem like it from YouTube videos. Just wondering.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
The article says it happened in North Carolina....I’ll go out on a limb here and say it’s pretty darn rare, especially that the bear actually entered the house. I wouldn’t think they would have bear spray or gun at the ready letting the dog out...if it were Alaska it would be a different story I presume.

RIP Pickles....good dog

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
The article says it happened in North Carolina....I’ll go out on a limb here and say it’s pretty darn rare, especially that the bear actually entered the house. I wouldn’t think they would have bear spray or gun at the ready letting the dog out...if it were Alaska it would be a different story I presume.

RIP Pickles....good dog

Actually, bear in the NC mountains is quite common. Earlier last week a UPS delivery was suspended due to "bear in driveway."

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Black Mountain has a goodly population of black bears, as does the entire region. When I lived in Asheville, I saw them on several occasions, and Black Mountain is a good bit more rural.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I read about this a few days ago. I'm sad to hear that Pickles has now passed away.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Pickles is getting lots of treats and belly rubs over the bridge.

Good boy!

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We vacation near there. Its bear country. Visit your deck etc where ever there any scent of food.

Thats why dogs can be so good.

My 30lb mix beagle sherphard would do the same even at 16.

I'd f the bear up and myself in process if it maimed/killed my dog.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
WOW Pickles has a big heart and made the ultimate sacrifice to save his loved ones. RIP Pickles and you shall be forever remembered as a hero. Smile

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on 2nd thought maybe I'd look before opening the door to walk the dog. Bear teeth and claws hurt.. a lot

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Heck of a brave pup, protecting his pack!

Pickles epitomizes the saying. . .

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight that counts, but the size of the fight in the dog."

Exactly. I had a friend that had a miniature Chihuahua name Juan. Little guy. One night he took on a stray cur in the back yard and was killed. I always said old Juan would probably be alive today if he didn't have the heart and the attitude of a Great Dane.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
Yet another good reason for the second amendment...

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good for Pickles.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I just saw an episode of Dog Whisperer and it was a toy poodle. The guy commented that poodles are very intelligent and very protective of their family.

Rough to see Pickles go. I don't know if Pickles would have heeded a call to "come" once the bear was outside.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a good boy.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Greater love has no dog than this, that he lay down his life for his people.

RIP, Hero Dog.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post