SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are you?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are you? Login/Join 
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
doing ok. the older I get the simpler I try to make it. as long as i have my health, I'm good. thanks for asking. Glad you're ok as well

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm a mixed bag. Some parts of life are going great. Work is going great; house renovations that have been on hold for ever are getting completed; curtailing drinking; working on quitting smoking.

Love life, not great.

A solid 5/10.

I have been doing some reflecting and reprioritizing of things. While 2020-2022 was complete dog shit and honestly one of the worst times in my life. 2023 has started off much better.

I could write a 5,000 word essay on the simple question "How are you?"

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20832 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
How's thing in your world?
I'm fine now, thanks to the overwhelming generosity of you guys.

Enh, karma came back to you. Just a band of brothers taking care of their own. Hope this year stays on the rails for you.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

Shifted into a totally different gear this past December. Truly grateful for the perspective/change.

Coincident, a really good friend of mine asked me to join him on a lengthy pilgrimage later this year. Why not?

As for the current conditions, I know what this is… Not rocket science - been around for all of humanity.

I’ve lived through high crime and no oil before. Gonna play until the clock runs out.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Other than estrangement from my daughter and three of my grandchildren mostly due to covid and jab issues, and our country getting destroyed by puppets controlled by global daddys, better than a guy my age should. Kicking ass with athletics and body is holding up. Love where I live, love retirement, love projects I'm doing like my 1962 GMC 4WD Suburban I've owned since 1978. Buddy dropped off a 1972 Norton for me to fix up and looking forward to that.

Posts: 7462 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
I kinda feel like a rag doll that's been kicked around the room a lot. Apart from that I'm ok. Smile

I go in for a ct scan on my neck tomorrow to see the results from surgery back in November and if I may need a second surgery.

My mind has been hyper active, Can't seem to relax. I keep looking for work even though I don't think my body's up to it anymore.

Thanks for asking.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Better than “alright.” Health is good, my wife and I celebrate 40 years in June, and still love each other. Our kids are doing well and the 3 granddaughters are a joy. Glad to read that you’re doing well, para. It’s an amazing community you’ve built here, and this “How are you?” thread is yet another example of that. Almost daily my wife and I may be talking about something and I’ll say, “I was just reading about that in the SigForum…”.

I’m fine, in no small part because I have this group of friends.

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Since my divorce in late 2019, incredibly lonely. At 64 years old I just don’t have the energy to start over.

But, I have fifteen grandkids, a decent place to live and enough money to live on and buy the occasional toy.

So, all in all, I’m okay.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve lost 2 or 3 years somewhere. 2020, 21, & half of ‘22. Those years, poof gone.

Just turned 75 & feeling good health wise. Mentally, I gotta move on, I feel like I’m stuck in a crazy friggin’ world where common sense has been replaced by WTF is going on?!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have never been as happy, calm & relaxed at 52 as I am right now.
I retired August 1st last year. My wife is an educator & professor at the local college and had August off.
We traveled anywhere we felt in the motorhome. Did what we wanted when the mood struck and spent every day together. It was amazing and gave me a bit of insight to the future when she retires in 10yrs. She went back to work and after a month of playing in my shop I got a bit bored.
No human interaction as everyone I’m friends with were still working.
I found a job at a local assisted living center as their patient transport driver.
I now “work “ 7-3pm M-F simply driving people to & from their medical appointments.
The money all goes into another investment as it’s not needed.
As I began this new year sitting in my wife’s study one night she said “I’ve never known you to be this relaxed”. She’s right, pension secured & arriving each month , a deferred comp account is sitting untouched, a new 401k being built and VA disability checks arriving each month means I no longer am concerned about financial issues.
We worked together hard to get ourselves to this point and it was absolutely worth it.
I am enjoying life & oddly enough I’m enjoying my simple job.

It feels surreal & I hope everyone gets to experience this sensation.

To answer Paras question, I am doing amazingly well.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Since January 1, 2022 I am down 81 pounds, 6” off my waist, and Friday a personal best on the stationary bike I ride, 51:30 @ level 7. On the ride, I started at the beginning of December 2022 at 15:00 @ Level 4.

I am closer to retirement, owe less than $33k on the house, with no other debt.

Considering I awoke in an ICU in September 2018, spending four months in a physical rehab learning to walk, etc., things are okay.

And dispute not doing what I was told to, I have not contracted COVID.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of all forms of internet communication.

Obviously I'd keep my phone to facetime my kids and for work but I find myself wanting to distance more and more from people.

I understand the concept of, if everyone pisses you off you're probably the asshole. But it's not that. I tend to get along with most but the bullshit, which is inevitable online is getting to me. I got rid of social media long ago as it offered little positives to me, and I'm finding the internet as a whole is getting there.

I have 11.4 more years before I can cut ties completely and hit the hills but I think I'm gonna start transitioning very soon.

Sounds like a humbug I'm sure but I'm honestly tired of people. Wanna get out of big metropolitan areas, settle into my little area in the hills and raise my chickens and vegetables.

I'm tired of giving my energy to someone else who doesn't deserve it. In all aspects of my life. I'm ready to focus on me and my kids and that's it.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6329 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I can’t complain. Retired a little over a year ago at 56 and in good health. I’m having a blast at the new seasonal job. I’ll be guiding raft trips on the lower Shenandoah this summer. I’m in the grey helmet.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15607 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better than I deserve. Thanks for asking. I have seven grandchildren. All of them are healthy and doing well. For that I know I am very fortunate and blessed. My son and daughter are also doing well. We are certainly not rich, but financially my wife and I are okay. We pay all our bills with no difficulty, and have cash in an IRA that we hope should last until we meet our maker. My wife and I get along well and have solid relationship. In terms of health, my wife and I are definitely showing the signs of age. For me I am actually doing much better than I was a few months ago. I suffer from bad migraines periodically, but a new medication is working out well. Had a few other health issues. But I am actually much improved over the last few weeks. I was actually using walker on occasion, but I no longer use it. I was using a cane, but no longer. Don't need it. I am back to exercising every day. So I am blessed. My wife has her health issues, but is working on getting better. I appreciate all of the blessings I have received.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I am doing well. God has blessed me.

At 80, I am still able to get out and move around and do things outside, albeit a lot slower. I had several friends and acquaintances pass away last month and it made me realize that each day is a blessing and to be thankful for each day that I have.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
Physically I'm fine no complaints there. Work is another story, I'm sick of my job and hate going there every day. I was on track to retire early from it until the markets tanked, hopefully things turn around shortly but I'm not to optimistic right now. But other than that things are good.
I hope all is well with everyone else on the Forum.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Winter is always a difficult time for me. I suppose the older I get the more I understand why people move to Florida or warmer climates. The cold just gets to me more now than it used to. It puts me in a sour mood most days.

Overall I am doing good. I’ve found renewed interest and ideas for a book I’ve been writing for a few years now. That’s been keeping my mind busy and has been an adequate replacement for the outdoor activities I have put on hold during freezing cold weather.

quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Other than estrangement from my daughter and three of my grandchildren mostly due to covid and jab issues, and our country getting destroyed by puppets controlled by global daddys, better than a guy my age should. Kicking ass with athletics and body is holding up. Love where I live, love retirement, love projects I'm doing like my 1962 GMC 4WD Suburban I've owned since 1978. Buddy dropped off a 1972 Norton for me to fix up and looking forward to that.

pbslinger, You have some INTERESTING projects! My uncle always owned a suburban so over the years I became fond of the classic 60’s & 70’s suburbans. You really don’t see many classic Suburbans all that often anymore.

That 1972 Norton project sounds interesting. If you ever feel so inclined you should make a thread about the Norton and the Suburban projects. I’d love to know more about those projects. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
For the most part, I’m good.
Financially I’m ok, and will get better with time most likely.
Health wise, I have checked a few boxes and have plans to check a few more.
I worry about my kids, especially my two girls.
I try not to get too worked up about things I can’t control. I can control what happens inside my fencerows (to an extent), so that is what I try to focus on.
I live alone, but I’m not lonely.
I don’t think 2023 will be as bad for me and mine as it will be (and has been) for others. For that I am grateful.

I like to see good people succeed, so here’s hoping the best for y’all as well.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
After my bout with meningitis this past summer, I'm just happy to be here.

Looking forward to hosting this spring's SigShoot and BBQ up at the Cockatoo Ranch.

The new feathered addition to the household has brought great joy to Tabitha, who otherwise is depressed by the limitations her stroke left her with.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34130 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Jan ’23 has been rough - selected as a juror for a custody battle in family court, got the flu, flu turned into bronchitis, and bronchitis turned into pneumonia. Also, I’ve had food poisoning this month too.

Physically, I'm on the mend and yesterday was my best day since Jan 11th. I actually did some housework yesterday.

Mentally, I'm on the mend too. I was pretty frustrated following doctor's orders to the T and getting sicker instead of better. Not going anywhere for 2 weeks except doctor and pharmacy does give one cabin fever. Actually accomplishing something (in this case house work) is a boost.

Financially, I'm doing fine. Thanks to last year's new budget strategy paying the monster property taxes (i.e. paying 2.72% of home's value is how Texas doesn't have income taxes) due in January was stress free. The screen on my Macbook Pro is dying but once again thanks to last year's budget strategy the rainy day fund was prepared. Being stuck at home and making all of my own meals (or at least microwaving something on hand) has been eye opening in that free range Todd spends way too much money dining out.

Work has been fine. I have an awesome boss that looks for win / wins. For example, freedom to home office with a little bit of a weird schedule due to needs for rest, but still able to get work done and fill SME advisory role to let others keep their work going.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post