SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I received a challenge coin last year, the person who gave it to me is visiting, what is the protocol? Navy related if that makes a difference.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I received a challenge coin last year, the person who gave it to me is visiting, what is the protocol? Navy related if that makes a difference. Login/Join 
posted
I work in the IT world. The US Navy is one of our clients. Once a year the Navy commander responsible for our program pays us a visit to discuss the project. Last year during his visit he presented everyone in our group a challenge coin.

This year’s visit is scheduled for later this month. I never had the honor of serving in any branch of the military and have very little knowledge of the customs and protocols surrounding challenge coins.

I know I will carry it with me into the meetings but have no idea what to expect or whether or not I’m supposed to initiate an exchange involving the coin.

Any ideas on what I should expect and what may be expected of me?

Thanks for whatever information you can share.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Nothing is expected. Just keep it in your pocket if you feel the need to bring it with you. You won't be expected to slap it on the table on demand or anything hokey like that.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In over 20 years of service I have acquired a whole small drawer full of them. I couldn't tell you much about protocol though, never in all these years have I been "challenged", nor do I ever carry any of them with me.

In theory, if you serve/served in the same unit as someone and they produce their coin and you don't have yours on you, you owe them a drink.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Be very careful and choose amongst your options wisely.

You could end up with your home in conflagration and your own bad self Excommunicado .

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15913 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Challenge coins are given as a token of appreciation, usually for a job well done. They have no meaning except in bar games.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that these days most “challenge” coins are just mementos.
I don’t think that General Tommy Franks is going to ask me to see the one of his. Then again, he didn’t give it to me, so he probably doesn’t even know I have it. Wink

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
The first time I received a coin I was the watch commander inside Cheyenne Mountain. Being a Navy guy, I had no idea what this thing was. All I knew is that it wouldn't fit in the gedunk machine. I thought whats's the point of this.

I still don't.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No protocol or expectations. Just show up and shake the guy's hand if offered the chance. No need to bring your coin. I've never once carried a coin or been challenged. All my coins are in a nice wooden flag display that my wife bought me for Christmas last year.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the information.

Even you RichardC Smile

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Challenge Coin Etiquette:

>>> https://www.cristaux.com/blog/...enge-coin-etiquette/

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:
The first time I received a coin I was the watch commander inside Cheyenne Mountain. Being a Navy guy, I had no idea what this thing was. All I knew is that it wouldn't fit in the gedunk machine. I thought whats's the point of this.

I still don't.

Spoken like a true sailor!

I just got into Nuclear Prototype school. They give you a plastic ID badge to wear. First week, I'm down by the gedunk machines. I see the change machine. I look at the dollar bill slot. I look at my plastic ID. I wondered would it fit? I take my ID off the clip, put the ID in the slot, and damned if the change machine grabbed it and swallowed it from between my fingers.

I go back up to the study hall to think how I was going to explain how I lost my ID that gets me inside this secret clearance facility. About half an hour later, another student comes up to me and asks, "Is this yours?"

I said, "Yeah, where'd you find it?"

He said, "I was getting change for my dollar bill, I stick my dollar in the change machine, then it spit out your ID. I never got my dollar or any change back!"

That was a start of a good friendship.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had to do an Internet search on "gedunk machine"--we didn't all serve in the Navy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Be very careful and choose amongst your options wisely.

You could end up with your home in conflagration and your own bad self Excommunicado .

Hahaha I was reading this thinking about the suitcase of coins he kept in his basement.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
Challenge Coin Etiquette:

>>> https://www.cristaux.com/blog/...enge-coin-etiquette/

Recall the story of a commander that took his challenge coin out. His officers then all pulled theirs out. Then the commander put his away.
Was there a challenge? If so did the commander lose? It made for several discussions. As the rules have never been formalized there was uncertainty. Does taking it out and handling it constitute a challenge? Does the coin have to be placed on the bar? Does the challenger have to say anything?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I had to do an Internet search on "gedunk machine"--we didn't all serve in the Navy.

flashguy
Me, too. Wikipedia: Gedunk bar

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Well if you're not learning something new, you're getting old.

Now you can thank a sailor for keeping you young. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14043 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I think there is nothing to worry about, unless you were enlisted or commissioned in any service. If not then you have no worries.

I do know exactly how much not carrying you Chiefs coin will cost you.

During the oil spill while awaiting a simple letter form persru, I was deployed and found myself with my brother visiting me in Mobile Ala....while getting dinner at the Fishbones next door to the hotel another chief walked in and immediately slapped his coin on the counter, he turned looked at me and demanded my coin. Of course I had left it at home in N.C.... after thT challenge, I had my wife ship it to me in ALA..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post