SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tractor tire repair on weighted tire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tractor tire repair on weighted tire Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I have a Kubota BX23 tractor.I bought it new several years ago and asked that the rear tires be "loaded" with what I assume is beet juice.
A year ago I wanted to check the air pressure, I knew it would be a problem with the juice inside and it was.
I took the weight off the rear and put the tire valve at the top. As I unscrewed the valve core it appeared that the core and the valve stem were separating as the stem felt rotted out, I got some of the juice on my hands and found it to be something I don't want on me or all over the floor.
I stopped and put the core back and the stem cap on not wanting to mess with it again until I had to.
Now I have to. Both rear tires look like they need some air pressure.

I would guess that to replace the valve stems I would need to drain the fluid out of each tire, then break the tire down and replace the stem, I would imagine the mess to be a real problem, also replacing the tire fluid would be a bigger problem and mess.

Is there a way to replace a valve stem without breaking the tire down?

Posts: 4639 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it isn't calcium chloride?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I got some of the juice on my hands and found it to be something I don't want on me or all over the floor.

No, you don't. I once inadvertently lost a core with the stem at about 7:00. Hosed down the inside of my shop. All over the wall, the cabinets, the floor. I quickly tried blocking it with a small piece of plywood to hopefully ricochet it out the door but that only made it worse. While video of the event would be quite comical to watch I'm sure, the mess took days to clean up.

I'd just take it to the tractor dealer and let them do it. Tire/wheel work won't be that expensive and you get to avoid the beet juice shower.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kubota BX23 tractor

FF to 5:21 when he finally gets around to pulling the wheel/tire, after watching it, I'd pull both wheels off, take them to the Kubota dealer and let them put in new metal valve stems, clean out the juice and run them normally.

If you need weight on the rear of it then see what Kubota sells for adding weights to the tractor.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack up the back of the tractor, then let out air pressure. At that point remove the valve, weighted tires use a two piece stem. Any tire that is weighted has to have an air pocket or it would ride like a rock. If you put the valve at the top you can work on the valve or add air without losing your liquid. Used to be a mechanic on a fruit orchard.

Posts: 140 | Location: Western New York | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s why I refuse to fill the tires on my tractor.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would expect your valve stems are all metal. A visible nut/collar holds the body of it in place and maintains a seal inside the rim. A removable part is threaded into that body and is sealed to it by an o-ring held on that part. The valve core threads into that part.
No matter which fill you have just park with the stem near 12:00, lift the tires off the ground, shoot some air in to clear the stem, let out the air, then determine how much needs to be replaced. That part that screws into the main body is replaceable and available at farm stores. Take it with you if you need one that matches.
For 15 years I've used beet juice in two tractors and it hasn't harmed my valve cores. That calcium chloride on the other hand eats away everything but plastic and rubber. Calcium chloride fill is watery, cloudy, and burns the skin a bit. Beet juice is brown and sticky

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 341 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.
It is Beet juice that's inside. The valve stems are rubber, no metal core.

Posts: 4639 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
If you search "external valve stem installer" a couple of options come up, they use a funnel type guide that forces the new stem into place. This option looks interesting:

http://quikstem.com

Works like a rubber freeze plug in engine block.

Have not used any of these, if you do let us know how it works out.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perfect!
Thanks!

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I wonder why beet juice?

We have water in tractor tires. A simple kit to put water in at the stem (w/ the valve stem out) allows filling from a garden hose and can be found at NAPA and probably many auto parts stores. I tend to run them with the water just short of the valve stem when it is on top.

If your area has much agriculture or construction, you can probably find one or more tire stores that will do your tire work at your place. The guy comes out with his truck, lifts the side of the tractor (either with a jack or a truck mounted crane) dismounts the tire, does what he needs to do, and remounts it (or the new tire you bought).

Installing a new valve stem with it on top as suggested by rizzle would definitely be cost effective if that will work for you. If that won’t work, or you need the help of a tire professional at a later time (to repair or replace for example), I’d look hard for a mobile guy before dismounting the wheel and tire and taking it somewhere. Those tractor wheels and tires are going to be heavy. If liquid filled, they’re going to be heavy enough to be dangerous.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Hmmm, I wonder why beet juice?

We have water in tractor tires. A simple kit to put water in at the stem (w/ the valve stem out) allows filling from a garden hose and can be found at NAPA and probably many auto parts stores. I tend to run them with the water just short of the valve stem when it is on top.

If your area has much agriculture or construction, you can probably find one or more tire stores that will do your tire work at your place. The guy comes out with his truck, lifts the side of the tractor (either with a jack or a truck mounted crane) dismounts the tire, does what he needs to do, and remounts it (or the new tire you bought).

Installing a new valve stem with it on top as suggested by rizzle would definitely be cost effective if that will work for you. If that won’t work, or you need the help of a tire professional at a later time (to repair or replace for example), I’d look hard for a mobile guy before dismounting the wheel and tire and taking it somewhere. Those tractor wheels and tires are going to be heavy. If liquid filled, they’re going to be heavy enough to be dangerous.

Not many Tractor repair shops here in Chicago.
Filling the tires with water here in Winter time, would be hilarious, but only for those watching, might make a funny YouTube video watching that giant ice block rotate with the wheel.
Beet juice is used by many Cities around the country to deal with ice on the roads.