SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Something different, the aftermath of the Tonga Eruption
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something different, the aftermath of the Tonga Eruption Login/Join 
posted
I find this stuff fascinating.

It was 2 kilometers tall and it just up and disappeared. Well not disappear, it submerged.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I agree. Mother Nature is amazing. I did not realize that the shock wave went around the world twice…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've watched a few reports on it now. Most interject a shitload of pinko commie global warming bs.

I thought this reporter did a bang up job keeping the report to facts.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
DS-thank you for posting this, most interesting! Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Pretty wild stuff, thanks for posting.

DK

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

It was 2 kilometers tall and it just up and disappeared. Well not disappear, it submerged.

Maybe I missed it. Are you saying the volcano was 2000m tall and the eruption displaced all the above-water material?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Maybe I missed it. Are you saying the volcano was 2000m tall and the eruption displaced all the above-water material?

Yes, the way I understood it from the bottom of the sea floor to the top of the volcano above the water was 2000 ft.

What was above the water was not insubstantial, and most of it disappeared (collapsed down into the ocean)

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
That seems to be what they're saying. Until they can get in and really look, no one knows. All that material that was above the ocean's surface just isn't there now. Some of it went up and some went down.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post